Sponsored by:

Wiring a dead button/switch (dash) for laser/radar

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring a dead button/switch (dash) for laser/radar

I've done tons of research on Rennlist and via google, but need some more information. I'm looking to install HP-905 Blinder laser jammers. Great product, I had it installed on my 135i, zero tickets during the 1 year I owned it.

However, I would like to do a "cleaner" install on the 996, with nothing visible in the cabin. I'm hoping to use one of the dead toggle switches on the dash (below PSM on/off) as a kill switch (jam a LEO, slow below speed limit, switch jammers off for LEO to get reading). Based on the info I've found this seems to be possible, but I would like more more info before getting everything pulled apart. I'm assuming the blank switches are not wired to anything, my plan is to get power through an empty slot in the fuse box, with the switch between the fuse box and my jammer control unit. I can then power it on/off via that switch, leaving the unit in jam behind the dash.

Has anyone does this or something similar? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:53 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I haven't installed a jammer, but I have used switches for other things (i.e. controlling a garage door opener.)

The blank "switches" in the dash are just plastic blanks, not actual switches. You can purchase replacement switches, but there are different types depending on their original intended use. Make sure you understand the pinouts and how the switch works before ordering.

Most are just "momentary" switches, so in order to use it as an on/off switch, you would need to wire up to a separate relay in a latching circuit.

As far as aesthetics, you can sand and paint over any switch, in case it comes with a graphic printed on it that you don't like. Some are also illuminated.

For power, go to the 4-port phone connector that is in the 996 center console (usually behind and below the radio.) That's an easier place to get power, instead of the fusebox.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM
JadeHabu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 996 did not have seat heaters, but had a two button "batwing" with blanks. I have used the blanks to mount USB and Ipod jacks. Don't see any reason you couldn't mount the swith "down low" in the batwing. Relatively easy to get to, and don't think many would even look there. You could even "camo" the switch.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the switches in the center console are not simple on/off switches. Not sure what's needed to make them work for an application like this, but when I was running stand alone power for: starter, fuel pump and fans; it was too much of a PITA to use factory switches.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to wire it up without using a factory switch at first and look into the using one of those blanks in the future.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have my radar detector wired via the 'switched side' of the center pickup by my right foot. It only comes on when I have the ignition switch on. That way I never forget to have the detector running when the car is moving.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:55 AM
cmoody127
Advanced

I ordered a defroster switch off Ebay, am going to attempt to add this into my system. I could not find a powered fuse controlled by the ignition, meaning my jammers stay on even when the car is off. Optimally, it would come on when the car is on and go off when I turn it off.
I think by interrupting the wiring coming from my fuse box, going directly to the jammers, I can add in the switch, allowing for a simple on/off.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:11 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Look for the four wire "phone prep" plug laying behind your Cubbies in the center console they just snap out, top one first.

Brown = Ground
Yellow/black = Telephone mute
Green/black = switched 12v
Red/green = un-switched 12v
Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Originally Posted by fpb111
Look for the four wire "phone prep" plug laying behind your Cubbies in the center console they just snap out, top one first.

Brown = Ground
Yellow/black = Telephone mute
Green/black = switched 12v
Red/green = un-switched 12v

Great, thanks! And I'm assuming the yellow/black would wire into the power line for my laser jammer control box?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

I would think green/black switched 12v. Not the Yellow/black mute signal to the audio system to allow phone to take over speaker output.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Ahhh that's makes sense. The button/switch would then cut/allow power to run through the green/black wire... got it, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Wiring a dead button/switch (dash) for laser/radar