996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's it worth? - 99 996 C2 Cap Tip 105K Salvage

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
when looking at the PRICE to get into the game, never lose sight of the COST to stay in it.
+1
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainMan33
Thanks for the responses all.

I'm thinking if the PPI works out offering $6k and maybe willing to go as high as $8k.

I understand that for 15K I can get a clean title car, but often, at least in my area that car doesn't have the IMS done. Which means it's an 18k car.

I'm thinking salvage saves me 50% and if the car takes a dump in 5k miles, I can likely offload it for $3-5K in non-running condition.

Wish me luck.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go through the process.
Not a bad plan, frankly. Your logic is sound: low investment = low risk
It might not be the way I'd go, but hard to get hurt too bad when you have that little invested and can get nearly that much from the carcass or by parting it out.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 AM
evifenocvt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a running salvage title car is never going to drop below auction type value for wrecked cars... so in that respect, 6k is out of the question. figure 8k if you are lucky. 9-10k is more likely. break up value of that car is much more than that.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned four salvaged cars so far. It is a great way to get a car at 1/2 of the regular price for the non-salvaged car.

With older cars, a broken headlight and a door dent will force the insurance company to salvage the car due to body shop rates. Offer $7k for the car and you are covered. If it ****s on you, you can part it out and make ALL of the money back.

With DDs and older cars, salvage title is a way to go. If you intend to keep the car for a few years at least, salvage title is a great option to buy a good car for little cash.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:07 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,408 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
when looking at the PRICE to get into the game, never lose sight of the COST to stay in it.
well said weed hopper...
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

It's still aTIP, just sayin.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
I owned four salvaged cars so far. It is a great way to get a car at 1/2 of the regular price for the non-salvaged car.
I've only had one, but I regretted it even though it was so cheap.

With older cars, a broken headlight and a door dent will force the insurance company to salvage the car due to body shop rates. Offer $7k for the car and you are covered. If it ****s on you, you can part it out and make ALL of the money back.
Seems like that's what they always claim, no?

With DDs and older cars, salvage title is a way to go. If you intend to keep the car for a few years at least, salvage title is a great option to buy a good car for little cash.
Yeah, if you get the right car it can work out well, but you have to be pretty careful. I will say that it is remarkable how scared people generally are with title issues. I have a car with a few title issues that I'm 100% confident are not valid, but the dealers have offered me less than salvage price for it.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
It's still aTIP, just sayin.
I know I'm in the minority but I love the TIP. I've had manuals all my life, I'm 72 and am lazy now. I have a Kenworth with 18 speeds that I still drive a few days a week. Its a pleasure to drive the 996 with the auto after that.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never buy a salvage title Porsche ... That's my rule.

I know where a solid C2 cab is with a clean and clear title for 12k. Needs a cracked head repaired. Other than that it's a solid car that just needs some interior trim pieces replaced.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov

But this car didn't get its salvage title due to a broken headlight and a door dent.

The car was a flood vehicle. At 20K miles.

That it has gone another 85K miles is perhaps a plus but the car is still a salvaged vehicle. I would still give it a miss. With so many cars without a salvage title to chose from why bother?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:00 AM
MountainMan33
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well - I drove it yesterday. Car's in pretty good shape by my eye ball.

Brought my mechanic buddy who thought the engine had a slight tick. He thought it was an exhaust manifold leak?

Tires only had 500 miles, brake pads were REALLY thick and the rotors seemed a bit scalloped.

Paints in pretty good shape, but has some cracking. It is 15 years old.

Convertible mechanism tested and working, no water leaks, but the soft top has some issues inside.

Couple of paint dings, but nothing dented. Couple of paint scratches on the hard top as well.

Waiting on their availability to drop off the car for PPI. Found a good mechanic 10 minutes from their house.

I told owner I'd be @ 60% of asking, he came back @ 80% and I basically said it's good to see we're flexible... Seems we'll be between 65% and 75% of asking.

I could get a good deal on this if the PPI goes well... We'll see.

More updates to come.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's it worth? - 99 996 C2 Cap Tip 105K Salvage