Sponsored by:

Easier tool for blind install of wrist pin clips M96

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Easier tool for blind install of wrist pin clips M96

If you've ever rebuilt an M96 engine ,you'll know how tricky it is to instal the wrist pin clips for 4,5,6. There are plenty of videos showing a glorified broom-handle tool and what looks like a slide hammer. Yes, it is a tedious,slow process even with the correct & expensive Baum tool. The tool needs mods. to work - if you don't index and mark the tool ,it is even more likely the clip will 'misfire'. You'll need to dismantle the engine to retrieve the wire circlip if you are lucky ! If you don't notice ,you'll have engine failure on start-up.Got your attention?
So my question is : "WHY USE An oem wrist pin CLIP ?"
Instead, use a spirolock/Spiralock/spiro-lock with a blind insertion tool+extension ??The Baum tool could be modified to use the tool shown in the linked video?
This isn't a new idea ,so I am surprised others have not discussed this option.
Watch this -He even sounds like Jake!
for the geeks:
http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk...rcatalogue.pdf

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ston-pin-tool/

http://www.lockintool.com/

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 12-30-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Funny you posted this.. The Raby Faultless Wrist pin tool (patent pending) debuts in just a couple of days... Twist and install OEM clips without using any Porsche tool. These are available to pro builders through SSF Auto Parts, but I am sure that Pelican will nab them up and sell them to enthusiasts too. The tool was designed to omit the points were all mistakes are made with the factory tool. The unique aspect about this tool is it allows simultaneous wrist pin, and wrist pin retaining clip installation to occur, for a one step procedure.

The issue with the spiral lock and tool in this video is the real estate that you have to work with inside the M96 engine, on bank 2. The other issue is that you have to work 100% blind deep within the engine, and you can't see the "tails" of the spiral lock to ensure they are installed correctly. I have tried to do this with an M96 and there were way too many compromises.

I've been working on these tools for a long time, I even have one design that uses a small powder charge from a Hilti nailer to literally fire the clip into place. With the patent process its all about covering every base that anyone could ever think of to offer some latest and greatest tool, that probably won't even work.

Here's a sneak peek of the Faultless wrist pin and clip installation tool. The first order to SSF ships out on 1.5.14

Excuse the photo, its from an iPhone. I let the other people worry about selling them, my job is done... After two years!
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2014, 01:17 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Congratulations on the new tool !
Too late for my build but I guess I'll have the medals for persevering with the current Baum tool.I think you helped develop that too- many years ago?
I am glad someone other than me thinks about improving M96 tools. I was beginning to think I had a unique M96 fixation :-). The other guy who offered a wristpin/circlip tool was Logray - his stuck tool removal hook -is on Renntech.
The Lock-in-Tool guys live near you I think. Sadly they are going out of business and selling all their tools/machines.
Lock-In-Tool
2511 Providence Rd. South
Waxhaw, N.C. 28173

Phone: 704-843-5477
Your comment about developing it but not selling it should be noted by the usual detractors before they chime in .
Anyone else got M96 tool ideas to share?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:55 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Default Faultless piston pin & circlip tool -why we need it.

I spoke too soon.Jake's tool is not too late for my build!
The clumsy Baum tool and my fumbling cracked off the oil-control piston-ring land. Sadly,I now know exactly how to modify the Baum B9602K piston pin driver kit so it does not destroy pistons !It is an easy mod but I am sure Jake's tool is a better solution.
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...lp-please.html
Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Default Look how Subaru H6 installs the piston clip

It is easier(?) than M96 because you physically place the clip in the 'home' location before slamming it with a tube to spring it into position.
Let's see if Jake's tool improves on this :-).
Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM
wilhit10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I received mine yesterday.. Once I get my track car ready for the season, I'll go ahead and assemble my 996 motor.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I even have one design that uses a small powder charge from a Hilti nailer to literally fire the clip into place.
I'm assuming this was done with only a grey or brown charge?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Rickberry911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the tool and what was price?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM
wilhit10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got a pre-production one. LN should have them available soon.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wilhit10
I got a pre-production one. LN should have them available soon.
Actually, thats a production unit... It was just used when I wrote the instruction manual.

SSF Import Auto parts (wholesale distributor) has the exclusive on these for one year. They have a pallet of them on the way now.

SSF sells to shops, so it will be a while before some of these get into the hands of retailers. Pelican is likely to get them first, from a re- sell perspective.

Now that they've all shipped, and the instructions are done, after 3 years, my part is done.... Now on to the next tool development!

Quick Reply: Easier tool for blind install of wrist pin clips M96