Sponsored by:

What is the reality of having an early 996 as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 AM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Questions:
Tire Wear: Assuming a harder-rubber tire, what can I expect?
15k-25k depending on driving habits and brand. while you don't like ps2s, they are the best tire i've used so far. i've run 4-5 other brands. conti's wear best but i didn't like the looks or noise level.

Clutch Life: I have been driving a standard for a long time, don't hover the clutch or ride it out, won't be doing burnouts/power shifting or other abusive stuff. How long does an OEM style typically last?
I can't help you there because I got a tip for l.a. traffic.

Fuel Mileage: What can I expect real world fuel use?
19-21 mpg

Other Issues: Any other common problems I should be aware of? I've heard a bit about folks replacing the AOS. Anything else?
I've replaced the coolant reservoir, ignition switch, window regulator, and water pump and brakes in my 10 years of ownership. Overall very reliable and relatively easy to diy.

I'm trying to get a realistic feel for what a 996 will cost me. I figure I'll need $1000 to cover parts for a clutch, IMSB, and RMS if not recently done.
You'll need $4-6k to feel secure in my opinion. Just drive it and service as you go along. Don't go crazy with mods and your buffer will give you a lot of peace of mind. Don't bother with a warranty. Just drive and enjoy the car.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually feel quite the opposite about the most recent prices of the 996.

The lower I end up paying the "easier" it will be for me to push the button on mods, rebuilds etc. The worst buyers remorse Ive had with a pcar was my 99 boxster.

I was heartbroken about the resale value. At the same time all my others have felt rewarding to buy, enjoy and sell at some point. Some I've broke even on some even a small return. At sub or near 20k for a well maintained car I feel I've gotten away scott free on the massive
depreciation these cars took. The ownership has always been the reward. Ive owned over 50 cars, none have felt the same as my Porsches.

The purchase of a DD is certainly allot more to consider. My checklist in buying a 996 as daily would certainly be towards a higher option car.
I enjoy and even envy the guys who make these cars DD; I give them allot of credit to keep up with proactive maintenance etc.
Thats the biggest factor in making this decision IMO.

If you want to get in and drive, buy new and budget for a weekend car.

Quick Reply: What is the reality of having an early 996 as a daily driver