Sponsored by:

Hello, new member with questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:43 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Couple of points...

1. A 996TT avoids IMS problems and has crazy power. A rocket ship even stock. But maintenance over time can be much more than a standard 996. Even simple things like an oil change are more complex.

2. Cabrios are great if you are serious about taking kids along. Easier to fit seats and get them in and out, and they are not back in a cave during the drive.

3. Why AWD in Texas?

4. Look for cars with lots of options, like PSM, full leather, and heated seats. The 996 and Boxster were built to a price point by a company in financial trouble. Options can really jazz up the somewhat low-rent 996 interior and add great performance adds like traction and sport exhaust. Every Porsche is different, which is cool.

5. Find your local PCA region and hang out. A wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

But maintenance over time can be much more than a standard 996. Even simple things like an oil change are more complex.
This is just nonsense. The 996 TT market is well within your budget you posted. You would be nuts to buy an 996 NA at that price. Purchase right the first time and you wont be on this forum crying about your IMSB, CEF, or MOF woes.

I learned a lot buying a C4S but it was really dumb not to buy the car I originally wanted. If the forum would have been more open and honest about the M96 NA's problems, I would have ran to the nearest TT car and never looked back.

The TT cars are described as "bullet proof" in every review ever written while the NA cars are described as "prone to CEF" (until corrected). You do the math.

Frankly, Imre was exactly right when he predicted the 996's (NA) future as being the next DIY mechanics car because it will pretty much be a prerequisite of owning one.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This is just nonsense. The 996 TT market is well within your budget you posted. You would be nuts to buy an 996 NA at that price. Purchase right the first time and you wont be on this forum crying about your IMSB, CEF, or MOF woes.

I learned a lot buying a C4S but it was really dumb not to buy the car I originally wanted. If the forum would have been more open and honest about the M96 NA's problems, I would have ran to the nearest TT car and never looked back.

The TT cars are described as "bullet proof" in every review ever written while the NA cars are described as "prone to CEF" (until corrected). You do the math.

Frankly, Imre was exactly right when he predicted the 996's (NA) future as being the next DIY mechanics car because it will pretty much be a prerequisite of owning one.
I appreciate you're honesty, and in the short amount of time of searching threads here I've come to a couple of conclusions:

Talking about owning a porsche makes you want one even more.

I like the 996 headlights the 997 just dosnt do it for me in terms of styling.

I can easily see myself once I have one in the garage just going out there and saying holy &)@" that's a Porsche in my garage.

There is so much info on these cars that to really understand one you have to own one. I could search and ask a million questions but I'm a visual/tangible person.

The 996 turbo seems to be a smarter move.

Wife approved me to 47k instead of 35k, but she said please try to find one cheaper.

The idea of having this car has always been a dream, and between that and my reef aquarium I'm gonna have to find some time for the wife. I guess the biggest fear for me is buying a porsche when I know nothing about the particulars of these cars and I won't have the common sense to foresee a problem before it happens. I know I could play a bit safer and buy a newer less exsclusive auto, but the kid in me says get the porsche. When I first seriously started considering this I figured from face value that the turbo was to much car for me and mechanically out of my league, but it seems that this is in fact the opposite and although the turbo is a more powerful car, it appears to be well received and praised for its engineering and durability. So let the search continue.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell with $47k to play with, you can buy 2, one for you and one for her, or one as spare
Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$47 k will get you a VERY nice TT...there are some gt3's close to that range...cough cough.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by williamr91
$47 k will get you a VERY nice TT...there are some gt3's close to that range...cough cough.
This... I would hold out for GT3 personally. It will also have a higher resale if you decide to sell later. I saw a red one recently for mid 40's.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this is a little out of your price range... but for a little more coin you could bump up to a Turbo!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-exhaust.html

Quick Reply: Hello, new member with questions