996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this 2000 996?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default What do you think of this 2000 996?

I'm always looking for the next car and was thinking of replacing the 968 with a 996 as a summer daily driver. Or at least that's what I'm thinking since I found this car. Looked at it today, it's clean, but not super clean, but I love the color.

The present owner of the car has it on consignment, he has owned it for 3 months, but doesn't really like it, the consignment guy says the owner is more of a Lotus guy.

It has 70K miles, drives great, weaps of oil from each valve cover, no other fluid leaks including the area between engine and transmission and ZERO service history. Nobody knows if the main seal or IMS bearing has been done or not. I can't tell by looking at the bell housing bolts if they've ever been removed or not.

It has full leather and the door sill pieces, aftermarket radio that sounds like crap.....no HID's. Front bumper respray, can't obviously see other body work.

They are asking $21K (recent price drop)......but when I go to KBB, it says the value of this car is more like $16K.....but my research shows that doesn't seem to be correct.

What do you think a good price for this car is? That is, at what price should I buy it to be a very good deal? It would have to be a very good deal for me to do it.

Thanks!

http://motorcarsinternationalbybilln...he-911-carrera
Old 10-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ask at a Porsche Garage what it would cost to repair the leaks. I think its safe to say at 70000 miles the IMSB is ok but add the cost of that to the repair anyway. Add any other repairs etc to that cost and take from blue book price for that year. Leaks of any type that have not been addressed before putting a car up for sale, IMHO. I would run like hell and forget about the color. The color is the last thing, not the first when buying a vehicle. That as we say in the uk is looking at the deal '**** end up'. You are thinking and actually talking through your **** and not your mouth. Radio sounds don't matter a crap really. You can probably DIY the radio but not the leaks.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:09 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

No service history, oil leaks (if its the spark plug tubes leaking that is an easy job, if its the value covers its not), replaced radio, which may have been a hack job, and the chances are the rms/ims bearing has not been replaced. No more than $15k and I even question that...
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Here is a picture of the driver's side, passenger side seemed similar:

I took a few pictures and here I notice what appears to be some dried up coolant? on the black hose in this picture....

Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I would say about $17,000.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18k to 19k with all that is wrong fixed, best case scenario leaking spark plug tubes and leaking coolant tank or cap. Worst case scenario reseal valve covers leaking water pump or coolant line. I've had to reseal the valve cover on the passenger side due to previous reseal job that was botched, it's a pain in the ***, but is doable with right tools and time.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me wonder what I can get for mine now at 54,000 miles.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated above, the oil is probably from the spark plug tubes. They're an easy and cheap DIY without removing the valve covers if you're already doing the plugs, though I would guess that they haven't done the 60k mile service based on the presence of that oil -- expect deferred maintenance and proceed accordingly.

The coolant is likely from the coolant expansion tank, which at that mileage is probably also due for replacement.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Run, don't walk. Whether you pay 12K or 21K for this car, with no history, bad mods, and a guy "who wants to get rid of it because he is a lotus guy" after 3 months, you are probably looking at $$$$ to get it in shape.

Keep looking, there are a ton of cars out there in that price range.

And one of the best parts of this site, which I have seen happen a few times, is if a car is not near you see if a rennlister will go look at it for you. They can give you info and opinions on stuff you would not even think too look at.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Yea.....there are so many 996's out there. Try looking for a 968....they are hard to find....but a 996, so many. I like the metallic red, or white or this vesuvio.....but would rather have a grey interior with it.

I have a 968 and a 951, so it's not like I need to spend money on another car. But I always have money for a "great deal" car. I think a 996 is in my future within the next year, I'm thinking sooner.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:22 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Heya, Paul! Are you chasing me around the forums??? hahaha!

I'm shopping the 996 cause the prices have dropped into the bottom feeder realm like I am used to. This one doesn't look bad on the outside, but I'm thinking like the rest, that the car hasn't been loved at all. I would give it a $16-18k, and plan on plenty of fixups in the near future.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a full through inspection with your mechanic before any offers, how many owners this car had? Is there a car fax report on it? and I'm agree with you the color is great!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

The carfax report is right on the dealer's website....6 so far. Mostly a Texas car, then it went to Ohio, then in the Chicagoland region for 6 years where somebody put 10K miles on it over the last six years. Then the present owner bought it earlier this summer and is now getting rid of it.

Yes, I am a bottom feeder!

;-)
Old 10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said.. RUN... No maintenance history.. No sale,,,,

Just a thought .. but I would look at a 996 that's been used in DE's as the car was most likely very well serviced... Again always invest in a PPI

Quick Reply: What do you think of this 2000 996?