996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Bradstock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about my sorted and well-priced 99 Boxster?

New Rennlister and I hope this isn't out of line... Just bought a 2002 996 C4 cab and selling my 99 Boxster for the fair price of $8K, including 18" Sport Classic II wheels. Here's the link: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5579245767.html

Cheers,

Brad
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradstock
New Rennlister and I hope this isn't out of line... Just bought a 2002 996 C4 cab and selling my 99 Boxster for the fair price of $8K, including 18" Sport Classic II wheels. Here's the link: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5579245767.html Cheers, Brad
Nice car at a very fair price. Almost makes me want to.... Wait, never mind. GLWS.

It's probably worth joining Rennlist and posting on vehicle marketplace. It shouldn't last more than a week or two.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:59 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh go on Slakk! It can be your AutoX car

Sad to see such a decent looking example for that price. Boggles the mind that you can get a nice Porsche for under $10k.

Even if it is a Boxster

Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Or a Spec Boxster project!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 AM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Longtimelurker
Have to say it was fun to look, but rear impact damage and some questionable panel gaps on the front bumper have me leaning away. For the more mechanically inclined, this could be fun race car conversion/modder. Looks like it was barely driven after the accident, so not a proven driver either. If price comes down slightly, it could be a steal of a deal.
As the owner of this car, I can tell you that the rear impact only effected the rear quarter panel, well over a foot away from the engine and transmission. There was no work done on the front bumper, so unsure why there would be an issue there. Also regarding the "seats look horrible" comment, I agree they are a bit worn but "horrible", really? They are in better shape than the last 5 968's I have looked at. It's great how people pick apart a car that is 10k less than a clear title one would sell for. It still looks better and drives better than 90% of sports cars on the road, looks better than 90% of all 911s and sounds better than 95% of all cars. As stated in the ad I recently took it on a 5 hour + trip and it worked flawlessly.

You would have closer to 30k replicating this car with it's low miles and its wheels/etc. Anyone who thinks this car is worth less than 1/2 that are the same people that believe every 996 will blow up from IMS issues. Uninformed, worried, and looking to lowball anyone that doesn't have a 996 that is in BETTER shape than new.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 AM
FREAKINHEAT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This was nice of someone to post.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...628036096.html
Old 06-15-2016, 01:52 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1999Aero911
Also regarding the "seats look horrible" comment, I agree they are a bit worn but "horrible", really?
Im sorry you feel slighted, but they (especially the driver side) are indeed in terrible condition. They have dried out, cracked, and the color has flaked off where there is cracking. Or at least that's how it appears in your pics.

We have a 01 with a black interior that has spent its entire life outside with no treatment and no protection, yet with more miles (e.g. more getting in and out of it most likely) our seats are in near flawless condition. Not sure what your seats have seen through their life, but it ain't been good.

You car definitely seems to have some nice features, but it definitely has some items that are red flags. The whole purpose of this thread is to bring interesting cars to light for those that are looking as well point out the things that those of us with experience see that should be investigated further.

And just because you think it's a $30k car doesn't make it so (and you know it given what you priced it at) as no one is going to pay that for a 99 right now and it has nothing to do with buying into IMSB hysteria.

GLWS though.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:44 AM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Im sorry you feel slighted, but they (especially the driver side) are indeed in terrible condition. They have dried out, cracked, and the color has flaked off where there is cracking. Or at least that's how it appears in your pics.

And just because you think it's a $30k car doesn't make it so (and you know it given what you priced it at) as no one is going to pay that for a 99 right now and it has nothing to do with buying into IMSB hysteria.

GLWS though.
Does your car have sport seats? Because I have seen cars with 25k miles on them with sports seats that have side bolster wear.

And to repeat my original statement, I said it would be a 30k car to replicate. MK1 aeros with low miles are worth 23-25kish (one sold on ebay for 30k a few months ago that was red with 40k miles). Then factor in the rare options and the addition of wheels and modifications, and you are at 30k.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Aero911
As the owner of this car, I can tell you that the rear impact only effected the rear quarter panel, well over a foot away from the engine and transmission. There was no work done on the front bumper, so unsure why there would be an issue there. Also regarding the "seats look horrible" comment, I agree they are a bit worn but "horrible", really?
It may help if you have pics from the accident or prior to repair to show prospective buyers to put them at ease if it was a minor accident.

As for the seats, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. They seem like worn seats out of a car for that mileage. If future owner was nitpicky, they can always restore them to like new with a $150 Leatherique rejuvination kit. Maybe offer them a credit towards this? Also it being a '99, the durability of the material may not be the same as the mk2 versions. Leather is also gonna wear differently depending on environment and just how much of a fat f%#$ you are. My $.02
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Longtimelurker
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated on salvage aero

I followed up with the listing as I was mildly interested, but the guy wasn't very response/helpful. He actually doesn't have pictures of the damaged vehicles as he said in the listing, and wouldn't take any more pictures of it (sounded like he might not have the vehicle near him right now).

Plus he was kind of rude and condescending. Which might make sense since his eBay tag is Camaro

Originally Posted by gnat
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...3D112021428787

Not bad looking. Spare tire is missing, the seats look horrible, and there appears to be a nasty scratch on the headlight (mentioned in the details). That scratch looks too deep to polish out which probably means serious $$$ for a new housing

Well optioned, though I'm not a fan of the carbon bits.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:28 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Here ya go:

More here: http://www.s2cars.com/porsche/911/13921863

Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Longtimelurker
I followed up with the listing as I was mildly interested, but the guy wasn't very response/helpful. He actually doesn't have pictures of the damaged vehicles as he said in the listing, and wouldn't take any more pictures of it (sounded like he might not have the vehicle near him right now).

Plus he was kind of rude and condescending. Which might make sense since his eBay tag is Camaro
-Longtimelurker-

You asked for pictures of the car "pre-damaged" which means "before it was damaged". As stated in the listing I bought the car damaged so I do not have pictures "before it was damaged". I did say I do have a picture of it before it was fixed, if that was what you were wanting, to you in an ebay message. Also, your other questions were either answered in the listing already or common sense, which isn't surprising since you are totally ignoring my two posts in this thread. (He asked if the car had rust because it was in NJ / NY from 1999 to 2000). Also, nice rude/condesending comment yourself about the "Camaro" name. I have owned 10 Porsches.

-Alpine-

I agree with your take on the seats. They are normal wear for the age of car.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

I think at 15k the '99 silver aero would be a pretty good deal if the frame is straight and the engine in good shape. IMO a salvage '99 is worth 12k and the aero worth 3-4k. The seats don't bother me but no service records is very scary. The LSD is intended for street use only but can be rebuilt for track use. And I love NOT having PSM to worry about on mine. Though it probably has value for some.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:40 PM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimmyB
This is the same picture I have sent to ebay members asking for a pic of the car before it was fixed. I am being 100% forthright about the history of the car, since there is nothing to hide.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
As for the seats, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. They seem like worn seats out of a car for that mileage. If future owner was nitpicky, they can always restore them to like new with a $150 Leatherique rejuvination kit.
Maybe it's the angle/lighting and better/different pics would help, but they look worn far more than the milage would suggest to me.

I agree that fixing them up should be relatively simple/cheap as it doesn't look like an serious damage (e.g. rips). He's not trying to sell it as a roller though, so why not go ahead and take care of it to make it show the best it possibly can.

Right or wrong, having a documented accident is going to make people leery so doing other things to make the car show well is going to only help it's case in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...