Coolent leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM
cyberhero
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolent leaking

Hi,
After2 months of ownership. I noticed a leaking this morning.
When I bought the car they had a check engine 1128-1130. Mechanic tols it is the oil splitter to be fix. Brought the car to another mechanic today and he is telling me that's my water pump who failed.
What do you guys think? How much to replace a water pump? Should I also do the oil splitter?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberhero
Hi,
After2 months of ownership. I noticed a leaking this morning.
When I bought the car they had a check engine 1128-1130. Mechanic tols it is the oil splitter to be fix. Brought the car to another mechanic today and he is telling me that's my water pump who failed.
What do you guys think? How much to replace a water pump? Should I also do the oil splitter?
A leak from a water pump is pretty unambiguous. A proper inspection of the car in the air on a lift should have any reasonably competent tech spotting a water pump leak.

With the check engine light and those error codes and signs of a coolant leak that is not coming from the water pump but probably coming from the AOS ("oil splitter"?) the AOS would be suspect #1.

But unless you are going to do the work yourself, a trusted tech should make the diagnosis.

Water pump R&R cost? Prices vary even from dealer to dealer let alone indy to indy. You'll just have to get a quote. (FWW, and it may not be worth much, my 996 Turbo cost around $1700 for water pump job -- the water pump of the Turbo engine is harder to get to -- while my Boxster (a few years ago) cost between $700 and $1000 (but I may have had something else done at the same time, I can't remember now.) If the coolant is say 4 or more years old if the water pump is leaking replace the water pump and T-stat then I'd recommend you have the old coolant drained and the engine's cooling system refilled with a mixture of fresh anti-freeze and distilled water. The anti-freeze plays a critical role in corrosion fighting and in extending the life of the water pump seals and the life of the water pump.

It might be possible the AOS is coolant tight but still bad so you might be facing a new water pump and a new AOS.

And there is a possibility the AOS is ok both coolant leak free and otherwise in fine operating condition while the water pump is leaking and the CEL and error codes come from something else.

Address any coolant leaks. You do not want to drive around with a coolant leak. Then afterwards if the CEL and error codes return worry about that then.

Quick Reply: Coolent leaking