Sponsored by:

2000 996 Stereo Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 996 Stereo Upgrade Questions

I've been going back and forth on upgrading my stereo, and I think for now I really want to keep the original head unit. I have the navigation system (DVD's removed long ago), and the system has 3 sets of speakers (one set on the dash, one set in the doors and one set in the back seat area). I have yet to see how easy it is to access the speakers, but it looks like there are screws on all of the covers. Are they accessible by simple removing a cover over the speakers, or will I have to remove the dash to replace the dash speakers, and door panels/side panels to access the other speakers? I've been told that all of the speakers are 4" speakers... is this correct?

I have a Kicker ZXM 700.5 amplifier that I just had refurbished. Stable down to 2 ohms with 400 w for a sub and the remaining for speakers. I plan to mount it in the trunk and tie into the original speaker wires from the factory amp, and use the input signal going to the amp with a couple of hi/low level converters to feed the RCA amp inputs. I'm assuming this system predates their fiber optic systems, so is this "doable"? Does anyone know if anyone makes any connectors to tie directly into the factory connectors going to/from the factor amp? If not, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the connectors on the factory amp?

Thanks for any help and/or advice!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 PM
ditto
Racer

Your speakers unscrew with the dash in place. The forwardmost screws will require a very low profile screwdriver because of the proximity of the windshield. I used a bit held by vice grips.

I replaced my factory amp (weak) with an Alpine amp and removed the frunk mounted CD carousel in favor of iPod/iPhone input. New speakers and a decent amp are a huge improvement. The wire pass through the firewall is generous so running new wires is not a problem.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Get one of these. Totally worth the 3 bucks.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

Thanks!!

Ditto--did you use a wiring harness to connect tot he existing amp wires, or did you cut and splice? If the latter, any idea where I might find a wiring diagram?

Frisbee... that's one tool I don't have, but I'll have one later today!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 PM
ditto
Racer

I plugged into the original wires for the speakers and amp inputs (RCAs). I know others do it without problems but emotionally I couldn't cut into a harness that was part of the car. Power and ground to the amp are new. The most time consuming part of the job was making the custom mounts for the amp. The space vacated by the factory amp was far too small so I put it where the CD changer was.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced only my head unit, and it made a world of difference. The original LOOKS nice and stock, but is the weakest link, I think.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

So there are already RCA connectors???? Wow--that makes things 10 times simpler. I would def do new power and ground---the battery is right there. As for the wires, I'd never cut the wires. I'd make a harness if I had to, but definitely would need a wiring diagram.

Andy--I'll likely replace the HU at some point, but I'm just not ready yet. So you kept the factory speakers and amp?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I highly recommend these for the the doors. The door speaker boxes will require some minor modifications to fit them but they sound great. Post #30 here shows the process.

I used the same
Alpine ype-S SPS-410 speakers Alpine ype-S SPS-410 speakers
in the dash as I did in the rear. Happy with them as well.

I have a convertible in Cali and the speaker cones that I took out of my dash were hard, dry and fragile I presume from the sun.

The main issue with replacement speakers is the lack of clearance. They can't be too deep or they will hit an obstruction. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact depth limits.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

Thanks! So the Alpine SPS-410 speakers fit without modification???? That would be great if they do--I ordered them earlier today :-) You mention the door speakers being different... are the door speakers 5.25"?? I thought all 6 speakers were 4".

Regarding bass, I ordered two 8" kicker subs with 4 ohm VC's. I'll wire them for a 2 ohm load to use the max (400) wattage for my subs. I don't listen to much rap, but I definitely like a solid low end on everything I listen to.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:27 AM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Jonathan - where do you plan to mount the 8" subs? The PO on my 996 replaced the HU with a cheap $130 JVC piece, put in a Rockford amp, and I believe replaced the speakers... but honestly it sounds terrible. I have zero low frequency... and the whole thing sounds tinny and weak... I get better sound playing music on my iPad mini.
And I get horrible engine whine through the stereo... and HORRIBLE radio reception.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 AM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

Regarding the whine, it sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere. I'm running to a meeting in a few but I'll post a link to some good solutions, including grounding the RCA outputs on the stereo.

Regarding the subs, I'm going to build a box to hold both 8's that will fit on the ledge behind the two back seats. I'll create a template to use for my cuts so it will fit into the space perfectly and look factory. I'll be sure and post some links.

As for the lack of bass, it's very hard to find 4" speakers that put out much low end sound. However, they should certainly have *some*. Check the amp's settings (x-over freq and so-on), and also check the polarity of the wires from the amp. Be sure that you have the positive out to the positive in on the speakers, and same with the negative. Your amp might even have an adjustment for lower frequencies (bass boost). Let me know what you find.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 250 Posts

The door speakers are 5" and the panels have to come off to access the speakers. It's pretty easy and there is a good u-tube video out there for pointers. The dash & rears are 4" and you have to modify the speaker mounts to install new speakers in them. Lots of threads out there on this so searching will give you all the info you'll need on installing speakers. I just replaced all my speakers with Focals and kept the OE head unit. The sound improvement was/is huge!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:35 AM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

As Sanyata said, the doors hold a 5". With a little trimming of the door speaker box, a 5.25" speaker like the Tang will fit. If I recall, I had to trim the mounts on the Alpines a bit to get them to fit. I think I ended up using the mounting frame of the existing speakers (by cutting if off of the speakers) and gluing it to the Alpines. Sounds much worse than it is.

Quick Reply: 2000 996 Stereo Upgrade Questions