Sponsored by:

WiFi OBDII Unintended use

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts
Default WiFi OBDII Unintended use

I bought a Wifi enabled ODBII reader for my car so I could display real-time information on the iPod touch that I have mounted in my car. The iPod touch is connected to the radio via a cable from Becker Sound.

This works very well, but is not the point of this post.

Separately, I set up a gym in my basement and have a set of speakers there that are connected to my B&O system upstairs. I downloaded remote control software for my iPod and iPad (Tango). I dock my iPod upstairs and use my iPad to remotely control it when I'm in my gym. They need to be connected to the same WiFi network in order to work.

I had a thought. If I have my WiFi ODBII reader plugged in, would I be able to use that Wifi network and have my passenger use my iPad to remotely control my iPod and play the role of a D.J.? The answer is Yes! I can even listen to music while the iPod is displaying the ODBII data.

So my passenger uses my iPad to tell my iPod (that is about 18 inches away) what to play.

Thank you Rube Goldberg.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Ok, that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I need a beer.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:02 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Really? If it took you five minutes to read that you probably should take a reading course. It was meant as kind of tongue in cheek, but someone might actually find it interesting. It would allow you to Skype to someone in the back seat. We all know how useful that ability is.

Quick Reply: WiFi OBDII Unintended use