Sponsored by:

P0442

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default P0442

I've read the various threads with this issue. I've determined it is 1 of three things, the gas cap, the valve under the gas fill area or a valve on the other end near the throttle body.

I checked the gas cap and it was worn - got a new one from Pelican and replaced it, but I cannot clear the code using my old, cheap OBDII scanner. Is that because it isn't yet fixed and I need to check the fuel filler valve next? Or I need a better scanner?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 996inTX
I've read the various threads with this issue. I've determined it is 1 of three things, the gas cap, the valve under the gas fill area or a valve on the other end near the throttle body.

I checked the gas cap and it was worn - got a new one from Pelican and replaced it, but I cannot clear the code using my old, cheap OBDII scanner. Is that because it isn't yet fixed and I need to check the fuel filler valve next? Or I need a better scanner?
What is probably happening is you clear the code but the error is still present and the CEL comes right back on along with the same code.

Thus you need to look beyond the gas cap for the source of the problem, which IIRC is a small leak of the fuel tank ventilation/vapor recovery system.

Quick Reply: P0442