Sponsored by:

Vote 2003 C4S vs 2004 40th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by belair
My commute is quite short. About 5 miles each way. I do enjoy spirited driving when I have the time and do get over to the Smokies for fun. I will likely never get on a track. My last 911 was one of the first 1989 C4s. The rarity did not seem to make much difference when I sold it. When I say the cars are comparable in price the 40th is about 4 Gs more. I do like the looks of the 4S but certainly do not need it for weather being in Tennessee. I do also understand handling benefits of AWD. I am a Subaru salesman. I could get a new WRX for less but 911s just fit.
Glad you said that about the handling.

Most don't get that the Porsche C4S AWD, unlike the Subaru, it's not designed as an all weather tool. It's a performance enhancement designed to increase cornering, lateral direction changes and provides more grip, stability and gets the power down better than RWD. It's AWD and turbo brakes and suspension make it faster around tracks than it's counter part Carrera 2 despite the C4S being slightly heavier.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My love of luscious, curvy hips is a matter of public (i.e. marital) record. I'd still take the 40th, if a $4k swing were 'equal' in my world. It's as close to a factory 996 C2S as you're going to get in this life: if you want higher performance in a RWD 996, you're looking at a pretty bad DD.
I also think the turbo bumper and GT rockers make for a very appealing 996-- discreetly menacing, like a welterweight with a truly gifted tailor.
It's a little bit special-- even for a 911-- outside, inside, and underneath. And let's face it: all Carreras give good rear view!
You cant go wrong, so enjoy your dilemma and its solution!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

AWD vs LSD? LSD for me please. The 40th is lighter, faster (x51 powered) has sport suspension and is typically better equipped with a list of premium options standard in the package such as full leather. But you better like GT Silver as it's the only color they came in. The 40th AEs hold their value pretty well too.

But I'm biased of course....
Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

I think either one would be an excellent choice. The 40th has the same front bumper cover as the C4S and the turbo, but with the grills painted body color. It does come in a unique color with special wheels. It's a very striking looking car and photos don't really show how attractive it is. The X51 package is a great option and as others said, it has the full leather interior like the C4S and turbo cars.

That being said, I still believe that the C4S is the best looking of all the 996 cars. The combination of the wider body, lower stance and the throw-back rear reflector really work well on this car. It was my choice, and it would be again.

I think that either car would make an excellent daily driver. I wouldn't worry too much about either choice being a collector car someday. Just buy the one you like and drive it.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think either one would be an excellent choice. The 40th has the same front bumper cover as the C4S and the turbo, but with the grills painted body color. It does come in a unique color with special wheels. It's a very striking looking car and photos don't really show how attractive it is. The X51 package is a great option and as others said, it has the full leather interior like the C4S and turbo cars.

That being said, I still believe that the C4S is the best looking of all the 996 cars. The combination of the wider body, lower stance and the throw-back rear reflector really work well on this car. It was my choice, and it would be again.

I think that either car would make an excellent daily driver. I wouldn't worry too much about either choice being a collector car someday. Just buy the one you like and drive it.
I agree, not a fan of the painted front bumper gills or the wheel color. C4S is hands down the best looking 996 and better looking then the all the non GT 997 models. The 40th is lighter, quicker and has 25 hp over the C4S but both could be rwd if that is a problem. Very tough decision. I'd personally go for the best looking one.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:04 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this same question when I was looking for a 996 as well. I ended up with a 40th AE. My thoughts were/are:

C4s: Best looking normally aspirated 996 IMHO. I didn't care much for the AWD as it doesn't snow where I'm located nor would I be driving much in the rain. Love the bigred brakes as well. What I didn't like was no "difference" between C4S and a regular 996 in terms of performance. Bigger brakes, wider stance and AWD, but no additional power. (more weight to lug around because of the AWD system as well.) More color choices.

40th AE: x51 package, LSD, 2wd and full leather, all important to me as I want to do DEs with this car (well leather isn't important for DEs, but it is for regular driving). The things missing to me for this car are the lack of bigred brakes and a widebody. I think if they made the 40th a widebody and big red brakes, the car would be highly desirable!

I'm not a fan of the silver colored grills on the bumper, so I sprayed mine black to add some contrast. I like the wheel style, but not a fan of the "bling" on it (supposedly shot peened vs. polished/chrome). You can change this as well. In regards to the height of the car, just get some suspension for it (I have the x74 setup, just need to install it)

In the end, what do you want? Great looks and AWD, then get the C4S. If you want performance, then I say get the 40th. For me the trade off was wide body vs narrow body and if the additional goodies from the 40th could outweigh the widebody looks. In the end, the performance won out for me.

Either one is fun to drive. So it's a win-win.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:37 PM
belair
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANKS AGAIN ALL

I really appreciate the input. Can't say that I am that much less confused. My heart leans a bit with the 40th. If you saw my current DD a 2000 Subaru 2.5RS you would probably say that looks are not a big factor for me. Ha!!
The LSD was a feature that I had not considered.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
RaginBull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You can't go wrong either way...but the C4s looks way better.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Hoodoo
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Seeeu911
A poster referenced liking his porsche too much to drive it ? Another suggests not a good DD, I disagree. If I am in the car for long daily commutes I want it to be the best drive best car every single time.
That's *exactly* what I was thinking. I use mine as a DD and will continue to do so. I'm fortunate enough to have fantastic driving roads in my back yard. It's a great way to unwind after work.

OP - I just recently voted with my wallet and bought a 40 AE after looking at a number of 911's, including a C4S. While I prefer the looks of the C4S, the 40 AE sold me on the drive. It really is a compelling package. You can't lose either way. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Find a C4S with the X51 engine. Problem solved!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Find a C4S with the X51 engine. Problem solved!
They aren't easy to find, but they're out there!

Also, one important thing to note - the performance differences we're talking about here are measured in tenths of a second. Every variant of the 996 is an excellent performer and fun to drive.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
They aren't easy to find, but they're out there! Also, one important thing to note - the performance differences we're talking about here are measured in tenths of a second. Every variant of the 996 is an excellent performer and fun to drive.
+1 the performance difference is negligible. Now compare any NA 996 to any NA 993 or prior, and the difference is amazing! Why I upgraded from a 964 C4 to a C4S, and now to a 996 turbo. Each was a huge leap over the prior.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Having owned several 996 Carreras, Carrera 4S and Turbos. I’ve driven them daily and instructed in them, tracked them etc. .. I do think that the C4S is the best looking of the bunch, they also drive great. More comfortable, smoother and quieter than any other 996.

The 40th AE is nimbler and lighter on it’s feet but honestly I don’t know that the average person would necessarily enjoy driving one more. I also really don’t like the looks of the 40th AE (painted grilles on the turbo bumper and the polished wheels don’t do it for me). I personally would almost certainly rather have/drive the 40th AE car, just don’t know that it’s such a straightforward decision. Drive both if you can and good luck!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:25 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

You really have to drive them and stare at them in person and see which you like better.

I'd imagine looks alone would be the most important decision making factor. In my opinion, I think a C4S feels more solid than the C2 model and I also don't think the x51 engine in a street car or even LSD are crucial for daily driving and shouldn't be big factors in your decision regarding which car to buy.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

4S for me. Can be converted to 2wd easily and drop weight in process. Wide body 996 is too striking to pass on. Would only trade mine for a GT3.

Quick Reply: Vote 2003 C4S vs 2004 40th Anniversary