Sponsored by:

Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM
fspadafino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App

Has anyone tried anything like this in their 996?

https://www.automatic.com/

It says it is compatible with our cars, but doesn't support measuring fuel levels.

Frank
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that one, but the cheaper version: eBay Bluetooth obd 2 adapter for $10, and several free aps for diagnostics, and the $7 aLapHD for the track...it's amazing! But you have to pay a LOT more for the iPhone aps that are similar...sorry bout that.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 AM
RRocket
Rennlist Member

Yes, I use a similar system on my car..except my phone is Android.

I use a wireless OBD II as pictured below. And I use Torque Pro as my app....a VERY good app. The amount of things you can do with it is impressive..including the ability to overlay a nearly infinite amount of gauges and data over video. Datalogging, recording/clearing check engine codes, etc. Customizable to suit your needs. I LOVE IT!!

http://www.checksumm.com/wp-content/...500_AA300_.jpg
Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 AM
fspadafino
Advanced

Thanks! I haven't bought anything yet and will check out those options.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the ELM 327 wifi for iPhone also from Amazon. Lots of cool apps this one is ODB Fusion, and dashboards. I found it hit my knee and the flashing LEDS at night were annoying. so I got this extension cable and tucked the ELM behind the console.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Seeeu911; 06-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fspadafino
Has anyone tried anything like this in their 996?

https://www.automatic.com/

It says it is compatible with our cars, but doesn't support measuring fuel levels.

Frank
Go with wifi instead, it will work the same but way cheaper to get it working on iphone. I have a bluetooth one but I have Android Head Unit. Its great, I had CEL come up few times I just go in and reset it at the next stop lights. The best part is that CEL code stays in the computer so I can check all the info on a PST2 when I get home.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM
eagle11401
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RRocket
Yes, I use a similar system on my car..except my phone is Android.

I use a wireless OBD II as pictured below. And I use Torque Pro as my app....a VERY good app. The amount of things you can do with it is impressive..including the ability to overlay a nearly infinite amount of gauges and data over video. Datalogging, recording/clearing check engine codes, etc. Customizable to suit your needs. I LOVE IT!!

http://www.checksumm.com/wp-content/...500_AA300_.jpg
I have this dongle and use the "torque" app. Once you get it set up it gives you quite a bit of information. I like it because I can swap profiles/cars easily with it.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seeeu911
I have the ELM 327 wifi for iPhone also from Amazon. Lots of cool apps this one is ODB Fusion, and dashboards. I found it hit my knee and the flashing LEDS at night were annoying. so I got this extension cable and tucked the ELM behind the console.
exact same thing I did... However I was worried about battery drain since it would be continuously powered by OBD, so I cut the power wire on the extension cable, and spliced it into the radio's power source. I also have a head unit that runs Android, so I can display the extra gauges etc from Torque directly on there.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM
fspadafino
Advanced

Thanks everyone, I may try the automatic app/dongle...
Old 03-18-2017, 01:01 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread.

I just bought another ODB II WiFi device that I really like. My old one was too long and it had flashing lights like a disco. I was always kicking it when getting out of the car.

The one I just bought has a very low profile - about 5/8 inch and is not visible when sitting. It works great with my iPhone and DashCommand app, though it says it also works with Android and other apps.

Pros:
It automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so no (or very little) drain on the battery. You can turn it off manually if you want.

Works perfectly with my iPhone and DashCommand app, and provides a lot of useful data. True speed (without the offset). Intake temperature. Coolant Temp, Fuel stats, MAF stats, and much more.

Very small profile, so it won't ever get in the way.

Cost: $27

Cons:
It doesn't automatically turn on when you start the car. There is a button on the front that is easy to press so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it came on automatically.

My iPhone doesn't automatically connect to the unit's WiFi network. This may be a setting on my phone, but I'm not sure. Could also be that I'm still in range of my home WiFi when I get into the car.

The unit seems to fit in upside down, though I've heard the same thing about other devices. Not a big deal because it's not visible unless you get under the dash.

VGate iCar 2
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Resurrecting an old thread.

I just bought another ODB II WiFi device that I really like. My old one was too long and it had flashing lights like a disco. I was always kicking it when getting out of the car.

The one I just bought has a very low profile - about 5/8 inch and is not visible when sitting. It works great with my iPhone and DashCommand app, though it says it also works with Android and other apps.

Pros:
It automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so no (or very little) drain on the battery. You can turn it off manually if you want.

Works perfectly with my iPhone and DashCommand app, and provides a lot of useful data. True speed (without the offset). Intake temperature. Coolant Temp, Fuel stats, MAF stats, and much more.

Very small profile, so it won't ever get in the way.

Cost: $27

Cons:
It doesn't automatically turn on when you start the car. There is a button on the front that is easy to press so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it came on automatically.

My iPhone doesn't automatically connect to the unit's WiFi network. This may be a setting on my phone, but I'm not sure. Could also be that I'm still in range of my home WiFi when I get into the car.

The unit seems to fit in upside down, though I've heard the same thing about other devices. Not a big deal because it's not visible unless you get under the dash.

VGate iCar 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the exact same set up as I went for. I have the iPhone and Dashcommand app.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I have one of the ELM units sitting in my car that a friend lent me but i'm yet to set it up. Although I should!, last time I tried I was having bluetooth issues with it.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the vgate unit store or log info? I would like to use it at the track but trying to read live data could be a tad distracting.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

iOS or Android, this has worked well for me
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
Does the vgate unit store or log info? I would like to use it at the track but trying to read live data could be a tad distracting.
It's the app that stores the data, so any compatible ODB II device should be able to log information. The Vgate unit with DashCommand will log data.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App