996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FS: 2003 996.2 Cabriolet $31,500

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Gonzo, I have an opinion that may help you. I put mine on Autotrader Monday and have been swamped with inquiries and a potential buyer putting a deposit on it. I was told that what got their attention was the specific detailed list of PM done and parts replaced. Maybe you could add some more details to your ad to help with sale? I think that may be important to informed 996 buyers. And my photo ability is pretty bad. Your shots are much better. GLWS!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I kept an eye on pricing over the past 6 months or so and thought $27k was the number. I am shocked that I have gotten zero interest. A few email inquiries but not one person has looked at it and it's been online for 30 days. Maybe my pics online suck...who knows?
In my experience, great photos really helps sell cars when advertising online...

Not trying to be critical, but I bet great pictures would make that car much more appealing on autotrader. It's of course a hassle to re-take the pictures, but maybe worth it if it's not got any traction in a month of advertising. Part of it is also that Autotrader compresses the crap out of your pictures, so if you aren't cropped in really tightly and have great pictures to begin with, they really look like crap when they are downsized.

Could also be that you are just over the 70K mark that many buyers might be filtering for, but your current $25.5K ask price seems super reasonable for that car...

Last edited by pfbz; 07-23-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
In my experience, great photos really helps sell cars when advertising online...

Not trying to be critical, but I bet great pictures would make that car much more appealing on autotrader. It's of course a hassle to re-take the pictures, but maybe worth it if it's not got any traction in a month of advertising. Part of it is also that Autotrader compresses the crap out of your pictures, so if you aren't cropped in really tightly and have great pictures to begin with, they really look like crap when they are downsized.

Could also be that you are just over the 70K mark that many buyers might be filtering for, but your current $25.5K ask price seems super reasonable for that car...
I agree and am going to retake pics today. I didn't think mine were that bad but STILL not one call at the new price! I figured I'd at least get a lowball.

Congrats KK. I hope you get close to your asking price. I have listed all the maintenance in my ad including LNE IMS Retrofit, water pump, AOS, motor mounts, serp belt...etc. Really am confused. There is a professionally installed $2k Pioneer system as well!

Clearly the car is not making the cut for some reason. Miles may be the culprit but I'm starting to think color. Guards Red, although iconic, may not be very popular.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 PM
FlaVert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've been "on the hunt" for a 996 for about two months now. You're car looks good, with all the necessary upgrades. Two things stop me from pursuing it further, mileage and service history, but mainly mileage. There are a lot of 996's on the market right now and I've seen a number of cars like yours with between 50k - 60k for your asking price.

Also, only having the service history back to 47k miles is a bit of a red flag to me. Might be a case of being too honest in your ad. If the ad just said, "Service history available." I wouldn't even have thought about how far back it goes.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck with the sale.

Rick L.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^ Troll.

This is one of those guys that's gonna go for a low mileage example only to have his engine grenade a year later. LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't get it either. Mileage should not be an issue. Price is great. No rust state. It doesn't make any sense to me. I think I would consider the "consignment" option as well. Maybe more exposure at a dealer?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

May I also add that "red" color may not go well with some folks? I have been searching for a 996TT and most of the cars are silver and black. Very few greys and other colors.

I really would like to have a red or yellow TT, but I don't want the car screaming "look at me".. especially to the cops.

If I were not in the market for a TT, I would have picked up your car yesterday. Good luck with the sale. I really like your car!! By the way, my Boxster took 4 months to sell.

Cheers,
-K
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kalyan
May I also add that "red" color may not go well with some folks? I have been searching for a 996TT and most of the cars are silver and black. Very few greys and other colors.

I really would like to have a red or yellow TT, but I don't want the car screaming "look at me".. especially to the cops.

If I were not in the market for a TT, I would have picked up your car yesterday. Good luck with the sale. I really like your car!! By the way, my Boxster took 4 months to sell.

Cheers,
-K
Thanks! Good luck with your search. That's always half the fun!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I don't get it either. Mileage should not be an issue. Price is great. No rust state. It doesn't make any sense to me. I think I would consider the "consignment" option as well. Maybe more exposure at a dealer?
I know...70k on an 12 year old car means a whopping 6,000 miles a year. Its barely broken in!

Before I can do anything I need to deal with my dead battery. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got back the 4 month old battery was dead.

Ordered a CTEK 3300 from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. Moving the car to my in-laws garage (currently in my office underground parking... no electrical outlets down there). Even underground the temps are near 100 degrees (115 in Phoenix today), which as you know, is hell on batteries.

Things could be worse...I get lots of compliments on the 997 (still has the temp tag on it) and people ask me about my 911. I get to respond, "Which one?"
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
^^^ Troll.

This is one of those guys that's gonna go for a low mileage example only to have his engine grenade a year later. LOL
Garage Queens = IMS Failures

Or is Scored Cylinders?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Two comments to you Gonzo911. Number one, I'm surprised your 996 hasn't sold, and two, what a beautiful 997 cab in your avatar, well done. I'd say a smart buyer will see the value in your car and snag your 996 soon.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
Two comments to you Gonzo911. Number one, I'm surprised your 996 hasn't sold, and two, what a beautiful 997 cab in your avatar, well done. I'd say a smart buyer will see the value in your car and snag your 996 soon.
Thanks Barn!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 PM
FlaVert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
^^^ Troll.

What a nice way to be greeted with my first post to rennlist, a$$hole. What I was trying to say is the asking price is too high for the mileage on the car. If I can get the same car with 20k less miles on it then I would pursue that car before this one. And I am fully aware that I do not want a low mileage garage queen, which is why I am looking at cars in the 50k - 60k mileage range.

My intention was to help the seller better market his car to his target audience, which includes me.

Rick L.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaVert
What a nice way to be greeted with my first post to rennlist, a$$hole.

My intention was to help the seller better market his car to his target audience, which includes me.

Rick L.
Lol, what a way to get your first post by crapping on someone's FS thread. You've offered absolutely nothing positive in your post including throwing out an insult by your second post. I don't think you've actually achieved anything positive so far.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Gonzo, can you change the title to this thread to somehow reflect the price drop? Might attract the attention of a potential buyer who is lurking in the 996 forum. I see a lot of newbies asking questions about potential buys of cars that can't hold a candle to yours. Your car is a great car at a bargain price.

Quick Reply: FS: 2003 996.2 Cabriolet $31,500