Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Death Rattle?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:07 AM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Gretch--If you're talking about me ignoring your advice, yes, I didn't take the serp belt off and start it. I DID take it to the indy and had him look at it, listen to it and discussed what advice I was given here by all parties.

He found nothing.

So, while I greatly appreciate advice and do give it serious consideration--and will continue to do so in the future, I still rely on the guy who has the shop. There are people here who think nothing of pulling the motor out of their car. To me, that's like going to the moon. Maybe someday, I will have the time and equipment to tear into the guts of my cars but for now, I have to gather all the advice, collate it and make the best decision based on all information available at the time.

Frankly, I had been reading stuff here and worrying about my impeller shedding vanes and considered doing a preemptive water pump change last month. But, with all the crap KrazyK gets here for being "proactive", I decided against it. (And had I done it, I, too, would have taken ribbing for being "Krazy".). But we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Not having a mx history on my car should probably nudge me toward preemptive swapping of problem parts. I "should" do the IMSB. I "should" do the RMS. I "should have done" the water pump. I "should" do the motor mounts.

But on the heels of what I "should" do are the posts of those saying "just enjoy and drive" your car. Flip a coin...

Now, I have learned a lesson. I personally will know that sound and what it means but I will never fault some nameless, faceless P-car owner if he tells me "thanks but I'll take it to the shop". Ok. Good luck and let us know what they say.

Porsche ownership is an art, not a science. A magnificent, enthralling, sometimes mysterious and, often, a black art.

TC
Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
I speak of guys who ask for advice and then ignore it.

I have never had a Ferrari. I do own 2 P cars with a combined near quarter million miles, that I put on them. I bought one near new and the other off the showroom floor, for cash. I wrench on them myself....... So your model misses some middle ground.

They are not hard to work on for the most part. My indie does the things I am not comfortable tearing into.

Sounds like you have a hair about Ferraris or Ferrari guys...... That is not me.

Taking care of anything is a headache, even if your only solution is to pay for getting it taken care of.

Taking the time and interest to giv a guy advice he asked for, only to have him ignore it. well........ you know.
I don't know where the communication breakdown is but I think we're basically in agreement. I've been wrenching on all my cars for over 20 years. I've never taken any of my cars to a mechanic since then. At the same time I know diy isn't for everyone and respect that. People that come on here for advice only to ignore it or wait until 30 people respond with the same answer doesn't really make sense to me either.

I'm perfectly fine with Ferrari's and some of the owners which I know. Sometimes you gotta joke around and have fun and also be realistic to keep sane in this hobby. I think people that seen enough of my previous post know that about me.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

It is all good, guys......

to each his own.

I am reminded that it takes an effort to carefully parse out quality advice learned from experience.......

The reminder is a good thing for me......
Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Post mortem: Water pump shaft was shot. No blades missing. Everything else the mech checked out was good. No leakage around RMS, no sagging mounts, clutch effort is high (knew that) and will probably need to be done in another 7-8k mi. (around 80k, as anticipated). Brakes good, no other problems noted.

$870.

TC
Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AA717driver
Post mortem: Water pump shaft was shot. No blades missing. Everything else the mech checked out was good. No leakage around RMS, no sagging mounts, clutch effort is high (knew that) and will probably need to be done in another 7-8k mi. (around 80k, as anticipated). Brakes good, no other problems noted. $870. TC
you got off easy. I can't get out of the shop for under $1k whenever I have any service...wait I take it back, my last turbo oil change was $550. To be fair they did take off the fan belt and listen for weird sounds...

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 PM
jbsiii
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. All's quiet on startup, the after driving a bit, sounds like marbles in a can. It does generally get a bit faster with RPMs, but the pitch and intensity always remains the same. The local shop said it's a chunk of catalytic converter element that's broken loose, and rattles around once the engine warms up. I've been getting a periodic CEL with the code complaining about the catalytic converter performing out of spec, so I'm thinking he's right. Shopping for replacement cat now.

It looks like access to the cat is reasonable. Is this a DIY type project, or should I shell out the $$$ to get the shop to take care of it?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsiii
It looks like access to the cat is reasonable. Is this a DIY type project, or should I shell out the $$$ to get the shop to take care of it?
Depends on how rusted your car is underneath and what kind of tools/patience/aptitude you have.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsiii
I did mine myself. It took several hours but it is pretty straightforward. Removing them requires removing the mufflers (if I remember right). The challenge is getting the exhaust nuts off. The effort depends heavily on how rusted they are. It helps to cover them with PB Blaster (or similar) the night before. The bots on the catalytic converter can break pretty easily although it isn't a big problem since you are replacing it anyway.

Also a good time to take your mufflers in for the Gundo/Fister mod since you'd have them off... and maybe inspect your ignition coils since they are easier to access with the mufflers off.

There are lots of good aftermarket options for catalytic converters that are considerably cheaper than OEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death Rattle?