996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

talk me into a 996 TT x50 6spd cab.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:19 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default talk me into a 996 TT x50 6spd cab.

i've been searching for about a month now and I think i'm going to get a 996 TT 6 spd. i sat in a 997 TT the other day and it was nice. The 996 seems like a better deal since it is a convertible. what about 4-5 years now, i wonder which would have a better reseale...

I've read through the faq about problems with these cars. Would i be expecting to have problems outside of the maintenance schedule? how bad is that roof to deal with?

How much wind noise going 80 mph with the top up? I plan on picking it up and driving it 1200 miles back.

Anyone know what the curb weight is on the cab tt?

Thanks,
Sid
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
i've been searching for about a month now and I think i'm going to get a 996 TT 6 spd. i sat in a 997 TT the other day and it was nice. The 996 seems like a better deal since it is a convertible. what about 4-5 years now, i wonder which would have a better reseale...

I've read through the faq about problems with these cars. Would i be expecting to have problems outside of the maintenance schedule? how bad is that roof to deal with?

How much wind noise going 80 mph with the top up? I plan on picking it up and driving it 1200 miles back.

Anyone know what the curb weight is on the cab tt?

Thanks,
Sid
The car, any car, can develop problems over time outside of or in addition to needing regular servicing.

There are any number of things that can wear out. With my Turbo these have been in no particular order: idler roller bearing (twice); water pump; RMS; passenger side radiator fan and driver's side radiator fan; front diff axle flange seals; spoiler hydraulics; clutch accumulator and slave cylinder; shift linkage (broke); transmission selector shaft seal (transmission replaced under CPO); and power steering high pressure valve. Some owners have not had nearly as many things go wrong as I have with my car.

You just have to be sure you buy a car that's been well looked after and has as best you and a PPI can determine no current issues.

If you are worried about top noise I'm thinking a Cab is not for you. I can't drive my Boxster down the highway with the windows down let alone the top. I can't stand the noise. Surprisingly, though the Boxster is rather quiet with the top up. Lined top, 17" wheels/tires and soft suspension.

My Turbo is a coupe but has the fancy sun roof. I have found I can't stand it open all the way as the cabin drums from the air. I can tilt the thing to help with cabin ventilation but only around town. Once on the highway it has to be closed for the noise.

Oh, resale. While my info is Cabs command a high price when new, their value drops as it seems only the original owner places a premium on the car. I've heard stories from salesmen who tell me of having to deal with an irate Cab owner who is back to trade in his car and learns how it has depreciated.

'course as the second owner you can benefit from this by paying less for the car. Take reasonable care of the car, save the service and repair receipts, enjoy it and when you go to sell it you'll do as good as you can with the depreciation.

Oh, and weight. Coupe weight -- with a 6-speed -- 3395lbs. I can't find the weight for the Cab.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:08 AM
sidwin
Pro

i had a 95 supra that had a targa top. i probably had the top off for years but didn't drive much or long on the interstate. if i got on the interstate i would put the windows up.

i just read on some reviews that the 997 cab has less wind noise. i just was wondering how bad it is at 80mph since i have to drive 1300 miles home.

how much does the dealer charge for an inspection?

Thanks,
Sid
Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 AM
billqj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 02 996 cab, NA not turbo, however same top etc. surprisingly quiet on the highway, even up to 100mph+. Not an issue with 996cabs.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What about 4-5 years now, I wonder which would have a better resale...
Thanks,
Sid
Just like what factors are influencing which car you will eventually end up buying

IMHO, the car with a better maintenance record, less issues after PPI, lower mileage and market demand in the location PLUS other factors affect price. Here in SoCal, NOT buying a cab was NOT an option.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

i had a 95 supra that had a targa top. i probably had the top off for years but didn't drive much or long on the interstate. if i got on the interstate i would put the windows up.

i just read on some reviews that the 997 cab has less wind noise. i just was wondering how bad it is at 80mph since i have to drive 1300 miles home.

how much does the dealer charge for an inspection?

Thanks,
Sid
You'll have to try to work in a top down drive on the highway into your road test of the car.

What a dealer charges for a PPI varies. Some I have read don't do these anymore.

My vague recollection based on what I've read posted by those who've had a PPI done is the cost runs from a low of around $200 to a high of $400.

You'll have to call/contact the dealer and find out what it charges for the PPI if it in fact even does a PPI.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 PM
sidwin
Pro

3400 lbs? i thought these cars were much lighter..

i got the seller to go ppi on tuesday. i should head up there end of the month. pretty stoked.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

3400 lbs? i thought these cars were much lighter..

i got the seller to go ppi on tuesday. i should head up there end of the month. pretty stoked.
Coupe is 3400lbs... cab is over 3500, probably over 3550 depending on options.

Mark

Quick Reply: talk me into a 996 TT x50 6spd cab.