996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Window Regulator/Handle Switch ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
JohnnyRocker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Regulator/Handle Switch ???

I'm sorry for the new post but I haven't seen this scenario in my searches. This issue deals with the slight lowering of the window when the door handle is pulled, but prior to the door release being engaged.

When I'm opening the driver door from the inside, the window will not lower until I continue to pull the handle and the door releases. The window will lower slightly at the same point that the door releases and it will remain lower until the door is fully closed again.

Both outside door handles (driver and passenger) and the inside passenger handle will lower the window prior to the door opening. The window will also raise back again if the door handle is released prior to being opened.

In all cases the window remains in the lowered state until the door is fully closed then it raises and seals tight again.

This scenario isn't causing an issue since the window is lowered prior to the door swinging open and is not getting hung-up on the roof seal. The window also continues to remain lowered until the door is closed again then it raises against the seal. I'm curious as to what is starting to fail or if something requires an adjustment.... Any insight on why this is occurring only with the inside of the driver door and not the outside?

Thank you.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
p556guy
Advanced

It sounds like the microswitch in the inside door handle
Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by p556guy
It sounds like the microswitch in the inside door handle
+1

I'm having this issue with my passenger's side door. It's a pretty common issue.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM
JohnnyRocker
Advanced

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like the switch is going out.
As long as the window drops the correct amount and operates normally with the switch (isn't slow), then it's not the regulator.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
+1

I'm having this issue with my passenger's side door. It's a pretty common issue.
+2. I've had two of them go out -- both doors -- and paid like $500 each time to have the new microswitch put in. Expensive PITA, esp for non-mechanics like me.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator/Handle Switch ???