Sponsored by:

oil filter housing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default oil filter housing capacity

Question for the guru's. Performed my first oil change last night and it was a piece of cake. I filled with approximately 8.25 quarts. I have not started it yet. I measured the dip stick and I am overfilled between a sixteenth and quarter inch. Will the capacity of the oil filter that is currently empty bring me within acceptable range? Should I attempt to drain off a little? Start and remeasure? I read about the danger of overfill and seals etc. I assume no harm with a little overfill initially as long as no hard driving or high Rims if I leave as is then recheck correct?

Thanks from the newbie.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this situation the first time as well. I drained a bit, only to have to add it back in after the initial start.

If you know you put that much in your fine. Check it after its run for a minute
Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Just fire it up for 10 sec. and then let it sit for a few minutes before you check it. You probably will be fine.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

If the oil filter housing capacity is the same in the 996 engine as it is in my Boxster's engine the capacity is around 1/2 quart.

I'm with the others. If you are sure you have everything buttoned up start the engine make sure all the warning lights go out then let it idle a while then shut off the engine and let the oil drain and recheck.

When I change the oil the engine is hot so it doesn't take much idle time for the fresh oil to get nice and warm and when I shut off the engine it doesn't take very long before the oil level count down timer shows just 5 seconds. What I do is while I am letting the engine idle a while and after I shut it off is I'm cleaning up after myself, putting tools away, and changing out of my coveralls and washing up.

When I'm done by this time I can check the oil level and get a dependable reading.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

thank you all for the feedback. i will report back
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Just drive the car for a day and check the next morning since your level is not that far off, if at all. That will give you the most consistent oil level reading. If you only run the engine for a few minutes or less, the "cold" oil will cling onto the engine parts and will take a LONG time to drain back to the oil sump to give you an accurate oil level reading. Your electronic oil level gauge will tell you the same (to wait for mins or hr before it can give you a reading).
Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Thanks Ahsai, after 2+ hours of sitting after a 10 min idle it is now half way between the lines on the stick. will drive today and check in the morning. sure glad i did not go through the effort of trying to drain some off!!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Just drive the car for a day and check the next morning since your level is not that far off, if at all. That will give you the most consistent oil level reading. If you only run the engine for a few minutes or less, the "cold" oil will cling onto the engine parts and will take a LONG time to drain back to the oil sump to give you an accurate oil level reading. Your electronic oil level gauge will tell you the same (to wait for mins or hr before it can give you a reading).
This!

I filled up with gas the other day with a barely warm engine and did a double take when the electronic oil gauge showed my level at the minimum mark.

Next morning it was right back at one mark below max full. Glad I've got a dipstick as well

Better not to overfill it.

Quick Reply: oil filter housing capacity