99 cab top inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 cab top inoperable

1999 C2 convertible

Simply put, the top no longer works. Press the button, and nothing happens. Is currently in the closed position. Am replacing rear plastic window, so I wonder if something was disconnected. The switch is good. The top dash light does not blink or anything. Just nothing.

Can anyone shoot me in the right direction? I've search and searched and found nothing.

thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 04:34 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have already checked this but make the hand brake is actuated and the "PARK" light is illuminated in the dash. This is one of the more common causes of a 996 top inop. Also make sure the engine compartment lid is closed. That may sound silly but its gotten people before. I'm a bit surprised the top light isn't blinking or anything. IIRC the top light will flash if you're holding the top button and the control unit recognizes a problem. There are a few fuses for the top system, I don't recall them off the top of my head but if you have the fuse diagram I would check fuses down in the drivers foot well.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
chamilun
Instructor

thats whats strange. The PARK light works as it should. The rear hatch light turns off as it should. Its as if the system is just turned off.

Any way to bypass all the safety checks and what not to get it working?
Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Im at wits end. The top indicator light does not light up when turning the key. The PARK light turns on/off as should, as well as the front and rear decklid indicator. It appears I have no power to the system, even though fuses are good. Perhaps the relay is bad? I know the boxster had the double sized relay in the front, but apparently the 911 does not? Ive searched and searched and found nothing. My PIWIS cable setup doesnt access the top microswitch stuff, but I believe I have a power failure somewhere, somehow.

If someone could shoot me in the direction of perhaps which relays to check Id appreciate it
Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chamilun
Im at wits end. The top indicator light does not light up when turning the key. The PARK light turns on/off as should, as well as the front and rear decklid indicator. It appears I have no power to the system, even though fuses are good. Perhaps the relay is bad? I know the boxster had the double sized relay in the front, but apparently the 911 does not? Ive searched and searched and found nothing. My PIWIS cable setup doesnt access the top microswitch stuff, but I believe I have a power failure somewhere, somehow. If someone could shoot me in the direction of perhaps which relays to check Id appreciate it
Try operating by the key in the door, if that works the switch is isolated.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 AM
chamilun
Instructor

yea, not the switch. Im leaning towards the upper microswitch, I just need someone to verify that when the top latch microswitch is bad, there are no blinks on the dash. There is power to fuse D3
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So the top is closed in the up position. You say that you replaced the rear window? Was the top in the closed position as you did that job? I hope you didn't move the top manually because if you did, you will have to have it re calibrated. That's what the book tells me and I have the 99 convertible. What I am trying to find out is, when did the top suddenly decide to STOP WORKING? Before, after or during the window job? It may throw some light on your problem. You do realize that you have to have a fully charged good battery to move that top. If you have been moving the top up and down from the key in the drivers door method, and then it decided to stop working, Check the battery. Mine did that on me one time. Get back to us.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Yes, the top is in closed position. Battery is fully charged. It pretty much just stopped working. Hydraulic fluid is good. Im not sure the top being replaced (zippered top) has a lot to do with it, but Im not ruling anything out. I checked every fuse in the panel just in case something is odd. No dice.

When you turn your key to the 'on' position, and the dash lights illuminate, does your far right top indicator light up? Mine is not lighting up at all. That has to mean something I would think...
Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chamilun
Yes, the top is in closed position. Battery is fully charged. It pretty much just stopped working. Hydraulic fluid is good. Im not sure the top being replaced (zippered top) has a lot to do with it, but Im not ruling anything out. I checked every fuse in the panel just in case something is odd. No dice.

When you turn your key to the 'on' position, and the dash lights illuminate, does your far right top indicator light up? Mine is not lighting up at all. That has to mean something I would think...
Yes.... my far light comes on but only for about 5 seconds and goes out.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 PM
chamilun
Instructor

hmm. Thanks. So perhaps this points to an ECU issue of some sort??

Quick Reply: 99 cab top inoperable