Forward facing rear mounted child seat for my 2 year old

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forward facing rear mounted child seat for my 2 year old

Hi:

New owner here - would love to take my 2 year old girl with me in the 2004 4S - short trips of a few miles to daycare (we have a few more family friendly cars for longer trips)
The seat needs to be mounted in the back, and she is forward facing at this point. She is too young for a booster. I have researched this for hours and found lots of old threads pointing to old/NLA seats - so I thought I'd start a thread for my specific needs.

I saw recommendations for the Diono Radian RXT - can someone confirm this fits the 996 4S? I saw some folks noting it was too tall.

An alternative is the "Porsche Child Safety Seat" as sold by ECS tuning (for a ton of cash):
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Child/ES1443862/
Anyone using this in a 996, in the back seat position? I cannot tell from the description is its approved for the 996 for use in the back seat.

Any other suggestions based on actual successful use?

Also for the record, I tried a Combi Coccoro which is widely thought to be the best seat for small cars and it was unusable because it was too loose - the Porsche seat belt clip/receptacle is too far forward to hold that particular seat securely.

Thanks for any help - and just to repeat, yes, I have searched the hell out of this before I asked

Cheers,
Michael
2004 996 4S
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...es-etc-27.html

Read to your hearts content.

The other good choices seem to be Recaro ProBooster and Recaro Vivo.

I have/had the Porsche, Vivo, Cosco, Diono Radian. The Radian is def too tall(and heavy) IMO if you plan on taking it in and out of the car all the time.

As it stands now, I have one Vivo on one side and Cosco on the other.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:44 PM
thewheelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll thrown in my vote for a Diono Radian RXT - i just replaced a Britax Boulevard (which also fit well), with the Diono, and it allows for much more front passenger room, and fits more securely in the back seat.

It is big and heavy, but it stays in my car all of the time.

Link to Amazon
Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Thanks guys! I'll order a Diono Radian RXT and post some pics to help other Dads.
my plan would be to leave the seat permanently installed so the bulk/weight is not a huge issue. It would be great if my wife could ride along so I'm glad to hear the Diono Radian RXT maximizes front seat space
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

I wanted to post a follow-up here - reporting on my final configuration which I think works really well for me! I drove my daughter home from daycare yesterday for the first time ... I bought my car on March 18th so you can see how much time I have devoted to getting it right :-)
My considerations: I have one child I need to accommodate who is currently 2 years and two months old. She is now forward facing using a 5 point harness type seat. I have a 2004 C4S.

I did go with the Diono Radian RXT and it fits beautifully - really impressed with this seat, but I found it best (in my case) to remove the stock seat belt receptacle and go with some different belts entirely. I got the Brey Krause BK-9003 harness mount - I think its actually made to allow one to easily install/remove clip-in racing belts in a 996, but it happens to fit Latch belts clips. It comes with new bolts and spacers - very nice hardware (as it should be given the co$t). I could not use the Diono 'Super Latch' belts as the clips are a little thick to fit into the BK mounts. Fortunately I had another latch belt from a Recaro seat that did fit the BK harness mount. I used this with a Latch belt routed through the Diono's front facing belt path (the conventional mounting approach) and it worked well. But I wanted to be even more sure the seat was securely fastened to the seat area so I ended up using the seat belts I had bought...
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/product-p/2p-xxx-eu60.htm
... but routing this set through the rear facing belt path (as I have seen others do). I'm really using this belt path as additional insurance, just to keep the seat cinched tightly as far back as possible. The front of the Diono is actually lined up with the stock seats which maximizes leg/foot room for both the child and Mum. I am also using the top tether, so the seat is fixed in 3 places. Its extremely well secured. Note that I kept both the seat back and even the base installed and used an Eddie Bauer seat protector under the Diono.
One last piece of information. I found that I did need to be able to set the 'fixed length side' of the retrobeltusa seat-belt to the exact right length in order to avoid buckle crunch on either side. I did this by altering the 'fixed length side' of the belt to use a 2" racing seat-belt (actually an antisubmarine belt from a 5 point racing harness set, with an extra
3 bar slide 3 bar slide
) and this allowed me to set the length exactly, and the belt and fittings are very strong. You can see this in the pictures below.
I'm not an expert by any means but I'll be pleased to advise anyone on my setup - it was pretty tortuous for me so I'm glad to be able to pass along the fruits of my labors

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images      
Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 AM
Jedi Apprentice
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by silvergray951
I wanted to post a follow-up here - reporting on my final configuration which I think works really well for me! I drove my daughter home from daycare yesterday for the first time ... I bought my car on March 18th so you can see how much time I have devoted to getting it right :-)
My considerations: I have one child I need to accommodate who is currently 2 years and two months old. She is now forward facing using a 5 point harness type seat. I have a 2004 C4S.

I did go with the Diono Radian RXT and it fits beautifully - really impressed with this seat, but I found it best (in my case) to remove the stock seat belt receptacle and go with some different belts entirely. I got the Brey Krause BK-9003 harness mount - I think its actually made to allow one to easily install/remove clip-in racing belts in a 996, but it happens to fit Latch belts clips. It comes with new bolts and spacers - very nice hardware (as it should be given the co$t). I could not use the Diono 'Super Latch' belts as the clips are a little thick to fit into the BK mounts. Fortunately I had another latch belt from a Recaro seat that did fit the BK harness mount. I used this with a Latch belt routed through the Diono's front facing belt path (the conventional mounting approach) and it worked well. But I wanted to be even more sure the seat was securely fastened to the seat area so I ended up using the seat belts I had bought...
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/product-p/2p-xxx-eu60.htm
... but routing this set through the rear facing belt path (as I have seen others do). I'm really using this belt path as additional insurance, just to keep the seat cinched tightly as far back as possible. The front of the Diono is actually lined up with the stock seats which maximizes leg/foot room for both the child and Mum. I am also using the top tether, so the seat is fixed in 3 places. Its extremely well secured. Note that I kept both the seat back and even the base installed and used an Eddie Bauer seat protector under the Diono.
One last piece of information. I found that I did need to be able to set the 'fixed length side' of the retrobeltusa seat-belt to the exact right length in order to avoid buckle crunch on either side. I did this by altering the 'fixed length side' of the belt to use a 2" racing seat-belt (actually an antisubmarine belt from a 5 point racing harness set, with an extra 3 bar slide) and this allowed me to set the length exactly, and the belt and fittings are very strong. You can see this in the pictures below.
I'm not an expert by any means but I'll be pleased to advise anyone on my setup - it was pretty tortuous for me so I'm glad to be able to pass along the fruits of my labors

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks for providing this how to. We recently sold our STR-prepped Miata for a 996 to bring the whole family along for the weekend fun. My kid is going to be forward facing soon- took her on her first P-car drive today to daycare. I removed the seat cushion bottom and laid a towel down to provide some stability. The top tether mount is in a great position, however I will remove the seat back to give another few more inches hip and legroom for child and passenger. Waiting on prime to deliver my 8mm spline drive socket. Currently in the search for a static 2-point belt that I can replace the stock belt system with. The stock belt points aren't adequate for holding down the seat as you mentioned, too much lateral movement as it is designed to direct the seatbelt over the hips of a passenger instead of in a forward-facing belt tunnel of a child seat. It's been a few years since this thread has been created, so I'll post what belt I get when I find out. I know there are other parents out there that want a more engaging driving experience with their little one than their 4000+ pound SUV/CUV is providing. Was there any particular reason you purchased the Brey Krause mounts? Seems unnecessary for this project.

Here is the spline drive set I purchased from amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Forward facing rear mounted child seat for my 2 year old