Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Light - Error Code P0442 - 02' 996 - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by haimiko
Thanks fpb111. Are you referring to the EVAP canister purge valve or the operating purge valve?
Not sure what you are asking?? rysagreg already changed his vent valve and gas cap so purge is only thing left unless he has cracked vacuum lines.

The crazed clatterer is the Purge valve near the intake manifold. The one that controls the vacuum used to pull the fumes into the intake manifold to be burned.

Referenced here
Purge valve in pic 3-4 post 103 here on page 7
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...em-pics-7.html

Not the one referenced here
Vent valve pic in post #3 above.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 PM
rysagreg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, over a year later and light is still on. However, emissions is due this month! Here is what I have replaced to no avail. Vent valve at the fuel filler neck, gas cap (from Porsche).

I also noticed a coolant leak coming from the air oil seperator, so I recently droped the motor and replaced it. While motor dropped, I also did plugs, water pump, and some small round silver piece on the passenger side of motor (can't think of name but it was in-expensive)for preventative maintenance.

QUESTION: I still get the same P0442 code at about 280-300 miles after resetting engine light. It happened after gas cap, then after AOS, then after vent valve....right there about 300 miles. The only thing left that I can think of is the purge valve near the throttle body that FPB111 mentions above. How do I test this, or should it just be replaced? I took it out and have it in front of me.....I smell fuel vapor on one end and nothing on other end. urrrggg......damm P0442 code
Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

0442 is minor leak which in general needs a smoke machine to pinpoint.

You can test the purge valve by trying to blow through it when applying 9v-12v to it. However, it may not be conclusive as it takes only a tinny leak to trip this code.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:00 AM
rysagreg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ahsai! Also, I just noticed that this purge valve is a Bosch 0 280 142 380, and not a regular Porsche number starting with 996???? I did buy this 996 with 56K on it a few years ago. Perhaps it was already replaced with this Bosch purge valve. Unless, Bosch is standard with Porsche. Maybe this Bosch part doesn't have the shelf life of an OEM Porsche part. Any ideas?

Greg
Old 06-22-2015, 12:21 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rysagreg
Thanks Ahsai! Also, I just noticed that this purge valve is a Bosch 0 280 142 380, and not a regular Porsche number starting with 996???? I did buy this 996 with 56K on it a few years ago. Perhaps it was already replaced with this Bosch purge valve. Unless, Bosch is standard with Porsche. Maybe this Bosch part doesn't have the shelf life of an OEM Porsche part. Any ideas?

Greg
All genuine Porsche parts will have an upside down triangle with the P logo. No logo means it's just an OEM Bosch part. It's possible someone had replaced it before while chasing this code.

You can replace it again and hope this part is bad but there's absolutely no guarantee this is the actual problem.

What you need is to have an evap smoke machine hooked up to the evap system and check systematically if there's smoke coming out at any part of the evap system, which includes the charcoal canister, evap valve, etc. Even a pin hole on any of the evap hoses can trip this code.

This is not an easy to diagnose code, even for the pros.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Rysagreg,
So what happened?
You had already replaced the Gas Cap & the Vent Valve. You were wondering about the Purge Valve (and the correct part #)
What happened when you/if replaced the Purge Valve? Isn't there also a Fuel Tank Pessure Sensor to check?
Did you try the smoke test machine to locate leaks?
The smoke test will only identify leaks in the Evap vacuum system or the engine vacuum system .It won't tell you if the Vent or Purge valve is malfunctioning. But it is a useful test because as these cars age, their vac lines are becoming more brittle. Your engine has been R&R'd at least once so there have been opportunities to stretch and crack items like the oil filler hose,the dipstick hose and if the AOS has been replaced it is very easy to dislodge vacuum connections in that area.
This link my help:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...m-pics-11.html

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 11-09-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Light - Error Code P0442 - 02' 996 - HELP!