Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?

Has anyone seen or have info on the roller bearing IMS "kit" shown in the VERTEX ad on pg 39 of the 2013-2014 Excellence buyers guide?
European Parts Solution (EPS) makes it. According to the ad there is an installation video at the EPS site, couldn't find it??

Last edited by fpb111; 08-07-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: change wrong title
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default talk's cheap

I saw that ad, too, and was intrigued. But the lack of tech data at their web site, etc., is troubling. Until such time or until an in-depth article appears in a reputable publication, I think the LN/Flat Six solution is the de facto standard.

relinuca
Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Agree about LN/Flat Six.

It appears that they are "pre-loading" thrust against the far end bushing. Wonder what that does to the bushing end.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM
EIB
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Roller Bearing

They are not preloading the bearing against the far end bushing.
There is a hardened plate on the inner ring mounting bolt that with the mounting flange, controls the end float in the IMS. There should be little or no thrust load on the bearing. I've looked at a lot of IMS bearings for a supplier of a "fix" for the problem. The Lack of good lubrication seems to be the major issue, but there is a heavy radial load on the bearing. A pressure lube system will help.
There is a lot of discussion on Pedro's Board on the IMS issue.

I would like to see some tech and test data on this roller bearing upgrade, too.

Ed B
Retired bearing engineer
PCA DE instructor & Steward
Six Porsches including a '00 Boxster S
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EIB:11241658
They are not preloading the bearing against the far end bushing.
There is a hardened plate on the inner ring mounting bolt that with the mounting flange, controls the end float in the IMS. There should be little or no thrust load on the bearing. I've looked at a lot of IMS bearings for a supplier of a "fix" for the problem. The Lack of good lubrication seems to be the major issue, but there is a heavy radial load on the bearing. A pressure lube system will help.
There is a lot of discussion on Pedro's Board on the IMS issue.

I would like to see some tech and test data on this roller bearing upgrade, too.

Ed B
Retired bearing engineer
PCA DE instructor & Steward
Six Porsches including a '00 Boxster S
Ed, as a retired bearing engineer, what bearings do you use on your M96's?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
EIB
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS bearing

I knew someone would ask that!
I haven't replaced it yet. The Boxster only has 35K miles on it, mostly track. I'm tending toward the roller bearing, but I'd like some technical and test data first.
Recommendations for the ball bearing retrofits suggest changing them every 35-50K miles.

Ed B
Old 03-25-2014, 02:54 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Ed, Have you done any kind of vibration analysis before in your line of work previously?

I'm wondering whatever happened to Mark Jennings(PCA member) that was doing vibration analysis on the m96 motors. That would've been a "true" engine guardian IMO if he could've packaged that into a nice neat electronic package.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I'm wondering whatever happened to Mark Jennings(PCA member) that was doing vibration analysis on the m96 motors. That would've been a "true" engine guardian IMO if he could've packaged that into a nice neat electronic package.
I think he's still dabbling with his research. His son is a friend of a friend and he actually analyzed my old C4S and commented it was one of the quietest engines he had ever "listened" too (and that was with 97k miles on the original IMS bearing).
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then there is the insaroims Spanish or Portugese house that has a two ball bearing solution, in case one fails. Second bearing rides inside IMS I believe... I give it an A for creativity. 2003 Carrera 4S Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 Rust Red
Old 03-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

How about an electronic ear mounted on where the transmission meets the engine. Sound is transmitted to the FM radio. Tune to the channel and hear your bearing Probably a lot easier for a human to tell the diff between a good bearing and bad bearing noise, as opposed to an algorithm based on freq analysis.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by EIB
I knew someone would ask that!
I haven't replaced it yet. The Boxster only has 35K miles on it, mostly track. I'm tending toward the roller bearing, but I'd like some technical and test data first.
Recommendations for the ball bearing retrofits suggest changing them every 35-50K miles.

Ed B
Thanks, Ed. That tells me even a bearing engineer don't worried too much about the stock bearing. That says a lot.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
How about an electronic ear mounted on where the transmission meets the engine. Sound is transmitted to the FM radio. Tune to the channel and hear your bearing Probably a lot easier for a human to tell the diff between a good bearing and bad bearing noise, as opposed to an algorithm based on freq analysis.
By the time a human could hear the bearing, it's already too late. There's a lot more to it than just "hearing" it. It's been explained to me before by Mark, and I understand it, but I don't understand it well enough to cogently explain it to someone else, unfortunately.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
By the time a human could hear the bearing, it's already too late. There's a lot more to it than just "hearing" it. It's been explained to me before by Mark, and I understand it, but I don't understand it well enough to cogently explain it to someone else, unfortunately.
Even with electronic hearing device to highly magnify the noise, it will be too late? Or you meant w/o any hearing devices.

Try to hear with your ears in the driver seat is one thing. Putting a hearing device directly below the bearing is another...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

But are you going to just sit there and listen to the bearing noise every time you drive the car? To be truly effective (and sellable), it needs to be a passive device.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
But are you going to just sit there and listen to the bearing noise every time you drive the car? To be truly effective (and sellable), it needs to be a passive device.
Agreed. I'd rather listen to my Fister mufflers

Quick Reply: Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?