Car is dead after one month, opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i dont believe in coincidences ...
Statistically, I think this is the likely situation.

A Major problem after a major engine repairs is just too much of a coincidence.
Surely the shop knows that.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Either way, it still sucks.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:23 PM
6ta1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i dont believe in coincidences ...

although it is not necesary did the first shop take the engine out to do the clutch or IMS upgrade ? if they did im thinking they hit the AOS and damaged it ...
maybe if they didnt pull the engine out, could still have hit the AOS somehow. I am betting on AOS
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Having recently done this work on mine, I dont see how you could hit or damage the AOS/OVS. Its not in the way of anything.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911searcher
Statistically, I think this is the likely situation.

A Major problem after a major engine repairs is just too much of a coincidence.
Surely the shop knows that.
Yes and no. After the dealer performed an engine swap at 37k miles my right cat rattled, and still does. The bottom of the Cat is clearly scuffed, I was present when they checked the cats for noise when I first took the car in because of an engine noise. In the end the dealer refused to accept any responsibility because "we googled Porsche cat rattle and had hundreds of hits" so this is simply coincidence. They then told me to check the Rennlist forum and I would see what they were talking about.

On the other hand, I remember in the old days when I was a mechanic a customer accused me of "breaking" her back up lights when I rebuilt her generator. The back up light switch was bad, I tried to explain it but in her mind I touched something electrical and lights are electrical so I screwed up. Again, it was the old days, and I worked for a guy who lived by "the customer is always right". I was pissed, but we replaced the switch on us.

It seems that in this current age it is most always about the money. They repaired the seat because it was a cheap fix, the cat on the other hand comes with a significant cost.

For the OP, I hope the outcome is not catastrophic and I wish you luck in getting cooperation from the original shop.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 AM
dmw996
Instructor

Same here. Been following and like everyone else hopeful it is not as serious as it looks. Please keep us updated.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your troubles.. Certainly curious if the wrench is responsible?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Yes and no. After the dealer performed an engine swap at 37k miles my right cat rattled, and still does. The bottom of the Cat is clearly scuffed, I was present when they checked the cats for noise when I first took the car in because of an engine noise. In the end the dealer refused to accept any responsibility because "we googled Porsche cat rattle and had hundreds of hits" so this is simply coincidence. They then told me to check the Rennlist forum and I would see what they were talking about.
That is amazing to hear. Under the same breath, the dealer won't admit that there is a common problem like the one you stated, nor will Porsche. I speak of this since I've gone through 5 sets of catalytic convertors.

Dealers are such full of ****, no wonder they get a bad name. Yes, each and every one of them.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Any updates?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OP,

From your other threads of the car being wrapped in sky-blue color and now with a chunk of ice denting the hard top, you obviously got the car running again.

Can we please ask you to fill us in with what the problem turned out to be? And what did you do to rectify the problem and got the car back on the road?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

I was thinking the same thing. Saw the car on the Rennlist fall run but only afterwards I realized it was the same car. What was outcome?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Razkal
Advanced

Hello all,

At the end of it all, the car got a new engine in it in September which really sucked. The next shop that did the swap had assured me that they would look at my first engine and document any errors. None of this actually happened and I got fed up with pathetic service all around and never experienced this in 15 yrs of running 6 BMWs. At the end of the day they did a really good job on the install and I did not have any issues afterwards.

I was getting so annoyed that at the end of it, I just wanted to move forward instead of sitting in a problem and headaches. It was a crappy situation considering that I did nothing wrong in this scenario except listening to peoples recommendations and I did not follow my previous rule that if it is not broke don't fix it. I simply took my car in to do preventative work and lost it within 48 hrs.

I just wanted to get this all behind me and while it was an expensive experience, dealing with E U Autowerks and meeting some great Porsche enthusiasts has brought my positive experience back.

The car drives like a dream now since September and I look forward to the next season of Rennlist cruises as well. Apologies for not updating this thread, I guess that I forgot it along side of the ordeal that I went through.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Wow. This is a new engine from Porsche? I remeber your car from the fall run too.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Razkal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Imo000
Wow. This is a new engine from Porsche? I remeber your car from the fall run too.
It is a not a new engine, it is actually from an '06 997 with under 80k on it. The shop that did the install sourced it for me and it was one of their client's cars. They took their time with the install to make sure that all connections were proper and they used the air hoses/connections from my previous engine. They were a great shop from work stand point but I did not like their lack of communication. I was used to status updates and do not like being in the dark. From an enthusiast's mind, I also like to know what is going on with my car at every stage if possible. My BMW mechanic was amazing for that and he took care of all of my cars since '98.

Quick Reply: Car is dead after one month, opinion needed