Sponsored by:

Opinion on upgrading radio/head unit/audio 2000 996 c2 mk1

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 AM
venom914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on upgrading radio/head unit/audio 2000 996 c2 mk1

So i'm looking into upgrading some audio parts in my car (2000 911 996 c2 mk1) mostly for somewhat better sound quality, a newer, fresher look for my head unit space, and also because I want to eventually delete the back seats (was thinking of putting sub enclosures somewhere back there and also possibly a roll/harness bar.

What i'm looking to upgrade:
-Head unit with a touchscreen
-Ability to play music from phone (Aux,iphone hookup/charge,bluetooth)
-Cd holder removed
-Porsche Logo open screen
-Subs/sub enclosure for rear
-Possibly back up camera if it's not that much more expensive (is it even worth it?)

So what i'm asking is for opinions from those who have upgraded on what is the best route (cost efficient, looks, quality, and things to stay away from)

Is it better to go the route of a double din conversion kit like this?

http://cai-store.com/collections/996...ersion-level-1

and

http://cai-store.com/collections/996...woofer-package

Or would it be a better to simply get a conversion kit that I can put my own double din in and pick out one on my own (also if I were to go this route, what are some of the better, more used double dins? I've been researching but a lot of these audio parts and everything is really confusing)? Here is a link to a conversion kit

http://cai-store.com/collections/996...e-din-dash-kit

My current set up is in the pic below, I have the oem carbon fiber everything so i'm not sure if that changes anything, just take a look.

Please any input helps. Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Here's my recent upgrade (see before and after pix below). It took a professional installer a full day. From your post, it doesn't sound like you are extremely experienced with audio system upgrades, so it doesn't look like a DIY project.

Expect to pay anywhere between $1,500 to $3,000, depending on the details of the system you choose (parts and labor).
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I upgraded mine a couple of years ago. I went with a Kenwood double-DIN head unit. I upgraded to Focal speakers and a Focal four channel amp. I had a custom sub enclosure built and installed behind the rear seats. It's covered with carpet and you can't see it at all.

If you really want to do it right, make sure you replace the speakers and not just the head unit. The stock speakers are not good.

Most modern double-DIN head units will give you all the features you want. Kenwood is good, Pioneer is good, and there are other choices. Keep in mind that the cabin noise level in the 996 while driving makes Bluetooth telephone connections challenging, as well as voice activated commands. I didn't have a rear camera installed, and I don't think it's a big deal. This is a small car with reasonable visibility, so the camera isn't really needed.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 AM
venom914
Instructor

Yeah I definitely like the visibility so I don't think the back up camera is needed. I am no where close to an audio expert. I want to have a good sounding sound system as well as a somewhat newer looking head unit just because I think that the original parts are old looking (not meaning bad just outdated a little).

Yes, I do want all of these things but i'm a little hesitant putting in all of these aftermarket parts. As of now my 996 is all oem factory parts and i'm not sure if id like to keep it that way or make the switch to aftermarket parts but also hold onto all of my old parts.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I found every double-din receiver out there wanting in terms of functionality and user interface, so I went in a bit of a different direction, I couldn't be happier with the results!

More details here...

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I read the thread in your link... very impressive work!!!!

I agree on the interfaces... it's like the people that design these things don't seem to have a clue that you will be using the interface while driving in traffic at 70 mph.

Obviously, you didn't have labor costs, since you did it yourself. I bet it would cost a sack load to pay someone to do this type of install....
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I read the thread in your link... very impressive work!!!!

Obviously, you didn't have labor costs, since you did it yourself. I bet it would cost a sack load to pay someone to do this type of install....
Thanks...

As it turns out, the iPad mini is just about the perfect size for dropping in the center stack, and while I stared at the parts for quite some time before I cut anything (as well as pricing out replacement parts if I screwed it all up), the end result can be duplicated pretty easily... Most of what you are dremeling is hidden behind the front panel, so it doesn't have to be perfect. You are just making a bit more clearance 'cause the ipad is just a bit too big.

And given the ridiculous amounts they are now charging for the latest double-din nav recievers ($1,500 for the latest alpine on crutchfield) that functionally don't hold a candle to the nav apps on an iPad ($450 + $200 for the pioneer 1Din), you still have about $700 savings to put towards a custom install if you don't want to do it yourself...
Old 12-04-2014, 11:01 PM
BLKMGK
6th Gear

What parts are needed to move the AC controls down? I have a 2002 single DIN and want to move my controls to the bottom of the stack like the 2001 but the trim looks different on the facia? Any other parts needed to move it?

Ha, found it! 996.552.339.00-01C

Quick Reply: Opinion on upgrading radio/head unit/audio 2000 996 c2 mk1