Sponsored by:

Dealer Diagnostic for P1531 and Cabrio Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Diagnostic for P1531 and Cabrio Top

So have experienced P1531 codes, rough running car and soft top does not want to retract. Had it at an Indy and was told cam actuator issue. Agreed also based on my research.
Took it to dealer as Indy states this was a very complicated procedure an he did not have tools to manage this repair. Another Indy never called me back after calling twice.
Left car at dealer for $145 diagnostic per issue so in at $290 already. Was given a 2013 Cayenne Turbo loaner sticker price $135k.
Was enjoying the Cayenne until I got the call. Actuator replacement with other bits and pieces (o rings, seals etc) can't remember it all. $3800. Plus top needs more investigation to a tune of $800 to start taking it apart as the tech already tried several modules but no luck.
So not a happy guy right now. Would like to sink my sorrows in a bottle of Scotch but need the $$ to pay for repair. I suppose this is the cost of owning a Porsche. I'm sure some if u have been through this yourselves. It's a shame that my work bonus his year will be spent on the car.
I need to accept my fortune compared to others in this world who have a hard time affording food and shelter.
Question : should the diagnostic fee be applied to the work done if in fact I choose to go ahead with it?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Answer. Not bloody likely. I brought my VW Bug into the dealer to fix a known problem. I supplied the dealer with the diagnosis and the VW TSB to fix the issue. "There is a diagnostic fee of $180" I plead my case that the diagnosis had already been done, in fact I gave them the print-out of the codes that I got from AutoZone. No deal. $180 on top of the cost of the repair. Never going back.

"IMS Done by PO Woo Hoo!!! "

Btw, I hear that Po Woo Hoo does excellent IMS work.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Ask dealer if he can do better. Offer to return the $135K gas guzzling rental car and take a Jetta...

2. Call other Porsche Indy's there are bound to be more then 2 good ones in the greater Chicago area, who on here has a lead for the OP to call?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Before you give up hope. Make sure the car has a fully charged battery. Try the roof operation from the door lock instead of the dash button by turning the key to the left and holding it there for at least 3 seconds. First thing to move should be the windows followed by a click from the roof releasing the hook at the windscreen center and the roof should go back. Keep hold of that key until the windows start to come up again (not the rear ones) when the roof is open. That ends the cycle. If it never finished the closing cycle it will never open for you. My guess is it didn't finish the closing cycle. It has to finish the closing cycles by the hook touching and activating the micro switch, then it is ready for the next opening cycle. My guess is that it is not fully latched closed therefore the opening cycle cannot start again. This happens occasionally with my 99 cab. Check that the hook has the undamaged plastic cover on it. (that's when you get it to open again) and stop it at inspection position so you can check all working parts hinges etc under the rear of the roof. Things can work loose. They have on mine and I figured them out and rectified the faults. These cabs are great when they are working correctly but a royal PITA when they are acting up. I find it hard to accept that a cam actuator is at fault. Hey they can tell you anything and unless you look into it yourself from every angle then you have to believe them. Then it becomes pay through the nose time. UNTIL they find the thing that was causing it not to open in the first place. Keep us informed as to what's happening and the best of luck.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Hurdi, I have followed some if your posts and tried all that. I also took to an Indy last year who was unable to diagnose and also this year to a different Indy. My Indy did diagnose the fault as the same for the actuator so I basically got a confirmation from Porsche. The Porsche tech had tried several methods doe the top by replacing control module and the hook piece in case that did the trick to no avail.
Also based in research on this forum from a respected poster who went through a similar issue in his Boxster the price was in the same ballpark (slightly higher) as his work was done two years ago.
I'll keep u updated on the results. Just will have to drive the car a hell of a lot more to get my money's worth.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

well keep trying and good luck to you.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by AckyE
So have experienced P1531 codes, rough running car and soft top does not want to retract. Had it at an Indy and was told cam actuator issue. Agreed also based on my research.
Took it to dealer as Indy states this was a very complicated procedure an he did not have tools to manage this repair. Another Indy never called me back after calling twice.
Left car at dealer for $145 diagnostic per issue so in at $290 already. Was given a 2013 Cayenne Turbo loaner sticker price $135k.
Was enjoying the Cayenne until I got the call. Actuator replacement with other bits and pieces (o rings, seals etc) can't remember it all. $3800. Plus top needs more investigation to a tune of $800 to start taking it apart as the tech already tried several modules but no luck.
So not a happy guy right now. Would like to sink my sorrows in a bottle of Scotch but need the $$ to pay for repair. I suppose this is the cost of owning a Porsche. I'm sure some if u have been through this yourselves. It's a shame that my work bonus his year will be spent on the car.
I need to accept my fortune compared to others in this world who have a hard time affording food and shelter.
Question : should the diagnostic fee be applied to the work done if in fact I choose to go ahead with it?
Ask the SM to waive the diagnostics fee. He probably will.

BTW, with a PCA membership my dealer parts department gives me a 15% discount on parts. Given the solenoid/actuator for my 02 Boxster cost around $1500 that saved me around $225 right there. Roughly it cost me around $3K to have the VarioCam solenoid/actuator replaced on my Boxster. About half parts/supplies, the other half labor and of course sales tax of around 8%.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the top is the least of your worries. Not sure why your Indy would balk at doing headwork. Imre made childs play out of mastering the M96 heads without even using a manual. There are also other members who may help you. I think Alp is in your area.

Cam actuator is in the DIY catagory. Just think how many tools $3800 will buy! Now get to it and post some pics.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Macster, I was actually referring to you in my post regarding a respected poster who went through the same issue. I read your post many times and some of your responses to others going through this issue. I appreciate your input.
KrazyK, I am not as handy as I would like to be and have some time constraints (family/work/school etc.). The initial Indy I used generally works on the older air cooled but went to him through a referral. He was very genuine and said this job was beyond his tools and expeience for the 996. BTW, did you ever take your car on that long trip you were planning??
Update: Called another Indy, who quoted me for Actuator replacement approx $2K (not sure if this included the solenoid, additional materials etc as they were extremely backed up was not sure when we could get the work done). Reached out to Porsche service contact who informed me that they had to take more time to deall with the top which turned out had broken wires. So that got fixed. Parts were ordered overnight and were to arrive this morning, was quoted an overnight fee of $235 plus there would be a restocking fee etc. I tried to be reasonable and told him the Indy quote. he said that based on the diagnostic fee plus repair of top etc and restocking fee blah blah I was into it for $1200. At this point, car was already apart and did not make sense to take to the Indy and deal with it all over again. The difference after aeverything would be around $1K more. Included unllimited mile warranty, loaner car , time savings etc. I authorized the work.
Many on here might not agree with my decision, but taking everything into account, I think I made the right choice. I wish I did not have to deal with this situation but I did purchase a car with possible high repair costs.
I appreciate the input and advice and this lesson will probably teach me to set aside more time to learn and maintain my 996.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So they upped the bill to @ $5000? Man, thats brutal.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Well, it is what it is. Can't see myself trying to sell the car and recoup anything since I would have taken a hit based on any PPI performed. Also, would not want to cheat an unknowing buyer. So I'm looking at it as an investment in fun. I'll drive the car for a loooong time and enjoy.
Also, I ended up joining PCA for $45, which entitled me to a 10% parts discount. I had been meaning to join for while, but this gave me the push to do it. It paid for itself plus I'll save enough for a tank of gas .
Life's too short and my kids have been asking me when we're getting the car back. Although they are getting used to being driven around in a new Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 AM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:
After 12 days , I got my 996 back.
Following items were performed:
Removed and replaced left side camshaft actuatorparts included : Timing Chain Tensioner, hex head screws, and misc other items O Ring, Crankcase sleeve, manifold gasket etc.
Convertible Top
Opened top, wire repair (after testing latch & control unit) Found open circuit in wire harness leading to control unit.

All to the tune of $4880.19! (This included 10% discount on parts plus the service representative also applied about $550 in coupons). Yes, I cannot believe I had to spend so much unexpectedly. I am however very happy to get my car back.

Other Plus: Had a Cayenne Turbo to drive for 12 days, took a nice road trip with the family (although at these prices I basically paid for the rental of the Cayenne!).

I have not verified the top works as it was raining when I picked it up. I will try in the morning.

Besides the cost, which is what it is, when I picked up my car, it had not been vacumed/washed or anything. It was raining so was not worth complaining about at the time plus I was pressed for time just then as well. Considering the $$ I dropped there, I thought this was the least they could do. The service rep I dealt with was not there today but I may give him a call to express my disappointment.

At least this forum prepared me for an idea of the cost and as always, I enjoy reading about other members adventures.

I think I just need a drink
Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Ouch!

Quick Reply: Dealer Diagnostic for P1531 and Cabrio Top