Sponsored by:

04' Fuel Filter ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' Fuel Filter ??

I believe for model year '04 there wasn't a replaceable fuel filter. If this is the case how is the fuel filtered? Where is the mechanism located and can it be cleaned? Thx for all replies.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

That's correct. The filter is integrated into the fuel tank as part of the fuel pump assembly. Should last the lifetime of the car. I suppose you can remove the whole assembly and do a visual check on the filter.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

Thx Ahsai
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Wausau 911
I believe for model year '04 there wasn't a replaceable fuel filter. If this is the case how is the fuel filtered? Where is the mechanism located and can it be cleaned? Thx for all replies.
I believe the '04 996 has a fuel filter similar to the one in my 02 Boxster. There is no serviceable filter.

However, I do not think that's a problem.

The fuel pump in my Boxster failed at over 200K miles. I got to see the old fuel pump. In fact it is a box sitting under my desk at work. (The original water pump is there too. Along with 3 sets of old plugs... gee maybe I had better think about cleaning out my office...)

Anyhow, the fuel pump intake has a very fine plastic mesh that acts as a filter.

Since the pump lasted so long and the fuel injectors even longer -- they are original and now with over 267K miles on them -- I'd say the mesh does a pretty good job filtering.

Oh, the mesh has a lot of surface area. While there was some accumulation of trash there was plenty of open mesh with no build up.

All I have done to give the filter (possibly) less work to do is to avoid filling up the gas tank of the car while fuel is being delivered to the gas station.

Now I've talked to gas station owners, and the delivery truck drivers, and they assure me the filter at the dispensing pumps is quite good and there's no problem, and they are probably right, but I just got into this habit years ago and have found no real reason to break the habit.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can pull the sending unit/pump assembly and clean it if it makes you feel better.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by KrazyK
You can pull the sending unit/pump assembly and clean it if it makes you feel better.
If it ain't dirty don't clean it.

It is best to only open up the gas tank and remove the fuel pump when it needs replacing.

Open up the fuel tank and remove the pump to clean the fuel filter/mesh/screen? No way.

The fuel lines and wiring are not going to like being moved about in ranges of motion they never experience at any other time while in service.

There is a safety concern opening up the fuel tank. One exposes to air a large reservoir of gasoline and the fumes from this can ignite.

The unnecessary removal of the fuel pump assembly from the tank can crack a fuel line or fitting -- bad enough if the cracked part is in the tank -- but if the cracked part is outside then there's a fuel leak. Or the access port to the fuel pump develops a leak.

No. Leave the fuel pump alone. If someone wants to clean something that doesn't need cleaning, clean the MAF. At least the MAF doesn't pose the risk of fire like opening up the fuel tank does and the MAF is easier to replace should the cleaning screw the MAF up.

Oh, here's a pic of the "fuel filter" of the fuel pump from my Boxster, after 200K plus miles:

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

No way I am messin with the tank
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

OK, I will rephrase the statement and add "if you know what your doing" to the first part. I have done this many times on many vehicles usually for inspection / search / training purposes and other times when replacing parts, including diesels.

Nothing will blow up (unless your an idiot) or self destruct but as Mac said, if you dont know how, best to leave it alone.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I believe the '04 996 has a fuel filter similar to the one in my 02 Boxster. There is no serviceable filter.

However, I do not think that's a problem.

The fuel pump in my Boxster failed at over 200K miles. I got to see the old fuel pump. In fact it is a box sitting under my desk at work. (The original water pump is there too. Along with 3 sets of old plugs... gee maybe I had better think about cleaning out my office...)

Anyhow, the fuel pump intake has a very fine plastic mesh that acts as a filter.

Since the pump lasted so long and the fuel injectors even longer -- they are original and now with over 267K miles on them -- I'd say the mesh does a pretty good job filtering.

Oh, the mesh has a lot of surface area. While there was some accumulation of trash there was plenty of open mesh with no build up.

All I have done to give the filter (possibly) less work to do is to avoid filling up the gas tank of the car while fuel is being delivered to the gas station.

Now I've talked to gas station owners, and the delivery truck drivers, and they assure me the filter at the dispensing pumps is quite good and there's no problem, and they are probably right, but I just got into this habit years ago and have found no real reason to break the habit.
These fuel pumps are not that much different in design than the in-tank BMW pumps from the same era. On my '04 325i, the pumps are known to fail at around 100,000+ miles.

Lots of DIYers have swapped out their fuel pumps at home with no explosions, it's pretty simple really. As long as the usual precautions are followed it's fairly safe. I pulled the pump out of the tank of my BMW earlier this year and had the new one in in about a half hour.

I had a tanker truck driver tell me something similar about bulk fuel delivery at the station - the filters in place should keep the crap from getting in to your gas tank. Still, I try to avoid filling up if I see the truck there. Old habits...
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by KNS
These fuel pumps are not that much different in design than the in-tank BMW pumps from the same era. On my '04 325i, the pumps are known to fail at around 100,000+ miles.

Lots of DIYers have swapped out their fuel pumps at home with no explosions, it's pretty simple really. As long as the usual precautions are followed it's fairly safe. I pulled the pump out of the tank of my BMW earlier this year and had the new one in in about a half hour.

I had a tanker truck driver tell me something similar about bulk fuel delivery at the station - the filters in place should keep the crap from getting in to your gas tank. Still, I try to avoid filling up if I see the truck there. Old habits...
If the pump is bad then of course removing it to replace it is called for.

However, there is some risk and I feel it just good auto enthusiast to another exchange to highlight this risk and to make someone contemplating such a job doubly aware of the risk so he approaches the job in the right frame of mind.

Or he decides to let a pro handle the job.

I do not like the line of thinking that because it is there and can be accessed it needs to be removed and cleaned occasionally.

It just comes down the best policy is to if it ain't broken don't fix it.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there a fuel filter in a 2003 C4S?? Was thinking I should change mine, but if it's not serviceable.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Neb, read all the above posts. It is NOT servicable.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Neb, read all the above posts. It is NOT servicable.
Thanks Krazy, just wnated to confirm that an 2003 didn't have one either.

Quick Reply: 04' Fuel Filter ??