Sponsored by:

Failure engine oil indicator – oil sender unit replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 PM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failure engine oil indicator – oil sender unit replaced

I’m hoping someone can give me some help with this one – I have a 2002 C2 w/ 31k miles on it. I’m getting the failure engine oil indicator message on the dash. I did see other posts about this and it looks like in most cases installing a new oil sender unit and cleaning up the wire connectors resolves this issue. I did just that, ordered a new sender unit from Pelican and installed it and also cleaned up the connectors with electrical contact cleaner. With this work completed I still get the same warning message on the dash.

The warning message comes up when the key is in the on position with engine not started. Once the engine is started the warning light stays on until I manually turn it off with the steering wheel column lever.

The oil pressure gauge 0 to 5 is working correctly going from 3 to 5 when the revs come up. If the sender unit was bad or the wiring from the dash to the sender unit had issues wouldn’t the oil pressure gauge not be working correctly?

I first saw the warning message after starting the engine for the first time after doing a bunch of work on it over the winter. I did the LN IMSB, RMS, coolant flush, oil/filter, engine degrease, etc. Oil level is ½ way between high and low on dip stick, using mobile 0w-40.

I have an actron cp9575 basic scan tool and this is not showing any codes. I guess I need to find someone with a more advanced scan tool like the durametric.

What am I missing?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

There is another sensor deep in the engine that measures the oil temp and level. I suspect that's what failing in your case instead of the oil pressure sensor. What was the exact warning msg and light/symbol.

Did your oil pressure read 0 momentarily when you had the old sensor?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 AM
asmith911
Cruisin'

"Failure Oil Level Indicator" with a picture of a an oil can to the left of the text.
I don't believe the oil pressure read 0 momentarily w/ the old sensor but not 100% sure.

What is this other sensor called, do you have a part number?

thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Yea, the oil level is not measured by the sensor you replaced. The oil level and temp (combined in one piece) is #21 here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-05/104-05.php
It's a bit of a pain to replace it I heard.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 AM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Thank you - researching this now. Anyone else have to replace one of these "oil level sender" units? What causes it to go bad? Installation details must be in my Bentley manual.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Did see some other posts where members had to replace the oil LEVEL sender unit but didn't find any follow up to those posts or a DIY for this procedure yet. One post says its a PIA and you need to remove intake manifold.

This is the oil LEVEL sender not the oil pressure sender (which I already replaced) and there is good DIY instructions for.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by asmith911
Did see some other posts where members had to replace the oil LEVEL sender unit but didn't find any follow up to those posts or a DIY for this procedure yet. One post says its a PIA and you need to remove intake manifold.

This is the oil LEVEL sender not the oil pressure sender (which I already replaced) and there is good DIY instructions for.
You're welcome. Yea, I saw those posts before and remember it's a pain...I searched Renntech just now and can't find any instruction either. Let us know how you make out.

The oil level sender is not a commonly failed item although they do fail. Mine was replaced by the dealer when the car had only 25k miles or so. No reason or rhym.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Ok, found a photo for you post #10 here. The top most sender. May be at least you can check the wiring and the connection first.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-996-mkii.html
The following users liked this post:
por944trs (09-11-2019)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by asmith911
I’m hoping someone can give me some help with this one – I have a 2002 C2 w/ 31k miles on it. I’m getting the failure engine oil indicator message on the dash. I did see other posts about this and it looks like in most cases installing a new oil sender unit and cleaning up the wire connectors resolves this issue. I did just that, ordered a new sender unit from Pelican and installed it and also cleaned up the connectors with electrical contact cleaner. With this work completed I still get the same warning message on the dash.

The warning message comes up when the key is in the on position with engine not started. Once the engine is started the warning light stays on until I manually turn it off with the steering wheel column lever.

The oil pressure gauge 0 to 5 is working correctly going from 3 to 5 when the revs come up. If the sender unit was bad or the wiring from the dash to the sender unit had issues wouldn’t the oil pressure gauge not be working correctly?

I first saw the warning message after starting the engine for the first time after doing a bunch of work on it over the winter. I did the LN IMSB, RMS, coolant flush, oil/filter, engine degrease, etc. Oil level is ½ way between high and low on dip stick, using mobile 0w-40.

I have an actron cp9575 basic scan tool and this is not showing any codes. I guess I need to find someone with a more advanced scan tool like the durametric.

What am I missing?
One thing sticks out to me and that's when you did an engine degrease etc.. did something get disturbed, disconnected or saturated in degreaser? The reason I ask is I had a degrease done on a cadi which I had a couple of years ago and afterwards I found that the cruise control had stopped working. About 6 months down the road the cruise control magically started working again. Now I asked myself, had some sensor got wet during the degreasing procedure, and did it eventually 'dry out' and start to work again? Hey just a thought. Hope you get things sorted out...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Certainly could have been the degrease that caused the issue. I've got 700 miles on the car and a month and a half drive time since that "Oil Level Indicator" warning came on so if something needed to dry out it has had plenty of time to do so.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the Oil Level Sensor at this point, got one on order now. Don't see any documentation in the Bentley repair manual on how to do this so I'll keep searching online. If I don't find anything I'm sure I can figure it out. I'll document the process and post it back here on Rennlist.

If anyone has info on how to replace the oil level sensor I would appreciate it.

thanks
The following users liked this post:
carlvs (10-29-2019)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Default Failure oil level indicator

Update on this issue:

Again it's a 2002 996 C2 w/ 30k miles. I started having the message "Failure Oil Level Indicator" on the dash after replacing RMS and doing LN IMSB.

I've recently replaced the oil level sending unit (long rod shaped unit on top of the engine, its a PITA) and I am still getting the message on the dash "Failure Oil Level Indicator" when I start the car and it stays on until I hit the OK.

I have a Durametric and there are no codes listed for the car.

Does anyone have information on how to check continuity on the wires from this oil level sending unit to the dash? What plug/wires on the back side of the dash should I be checking?

If I had a Porsche dealer in the area I would bring it to them to have them check it with the factory scan tool. Local Porsche dealer for VT is Washburns and they said they only have a Durametric. The Automaster used to sell Porsche and their next appointment was mid October (only have one guy who does Porsche) but my concern is that they might not have the proper equipment to diagnose this issue either.

I have been driving the car without issue. The check the oil level frequently and it is spot on. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

thanks
-Adam
Name:  OilLevelIndicator.jpeg
Views: 15616
Size:  410.3 KB

Name:  OilLevelIndicator2.jpeg
Views: 7274
Size:  689.4 KB
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I am curious...when you turn the key on but do not start the engine, how many bars on the oil level indicator light up? Does it give you the countdown and show the oil level? Since you have replaced (now) the oil level sender unit and oil pressure sender unit, the problem has to lie elsewhere. Have you checked your fuses? From some research, it may be something wrong with the gauge cluster. I'm not 100% sure but it could be an original fault code stored in the DME and only a clear of that code can be done by a Porsche dealer. I think I would head that direction first. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply DBJoe996

When I put the key in the on position but don't start the car and try to check the oil level I get the same warning message "Failure Oil Level Indicator" (i.e. I cannot check the number of bars as it doesn't let me get that far, no countdown). I have checked all fuses up under the driver seat / dash area. I have not got into the fuses in rear yet. Does anyone know if there is a fuse between the oil level sending unit and the dash, and if so where it is?
Hoping for an original fault code stored in the DME so I can just have the dealer reset it...if my dealer still has equipment to do this with.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

did you resolve this please I have the same problem
Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 PM
asmith911
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Richard.
did you resolve this please I have the same problem
Have not resolved it yet but will be working on it over the next few weeks (winter project in VT).

In addition to what is already listed in the my post for what I have tested I also sent the dash out to verify that was not the issue. Dash = good.

Next will be to trace the wires from the dash to the sensor on top of the engine. This is the only thing left that could be the issue. There has to be a short in this wire at some point.

Quick Reply: Failure engine oil indicator – oil sender unit replaced