Sponsored by:

CDR 220 Display Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 AM
fl996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDR 220 Display Issue

My CDR220 Head Unit (removeable faceplate) has issues with display, half are missing when turned on. Can I just buy an replacement head unit? Or do I replace the whole radio assembly? I do want to keep the stock unit. Heck I don't listen to the thing much I rather hear that engine, it's a sound like no other! Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I think you can buy a new faceplate from Beckerautosound, but they are seriously overpriced. If you are buying a new radio, you might as well get something better than the stock unit.

I was lucky to have TWO CR-220's. One had bad buttons, one had a bad display. So, I took the faceplates apart and replaced the screen & board in the bad one. It turned out that the failed part was NOT the LCD screen, but the something on the circuit board inside the faceplate housing. I doubt you'd be able to find a new circuit board though. There are some pictures in this thread.

There are always people upgrading the stock unit to aftermarket radios. Someone must have old units they are getting rid of.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Same thing happened to me. I think you can buy a new faceplate from Beckerautosound, but they are seriously overpriced. If you are buying a new radio, you might as well get something better than the stock unit.

I was lucky to have TWO CR-220's. One had bad buttons, one had a bad display. So, I took the faceplates apart and replaced the screen & board in the bad one. It turned out that the failed part was NOT the LCD screen, but the something on the circuit board inside the faceplate housing. I doubt you'd be able to find a new circuit board though. There are some pictures in this thread.

There are always people upgrading the stock unit to aftermarket radios. Someone must have old units they are getting rid of.
Watch ebay, cl or kijiji. Not sure the going rate on the faceplate but used complete units seem to go for about $3000.

There is a guy flogging his up here on kijiji for last few months. $250 for complete unit with code.

If you go full replacement keys to switch out are $5 and takes about 10 minutes including coding.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I think I remember reading about a company that fixed the displays and the price was reasonable.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
fl996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great input! I will try to buy an old unit or faceplate whichever is the best deal. Ebay sounds like a good place to start. Looking to keep her stock.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Originally Posted by Freakhead

Watch ebay, cl or kijiji. Not sure the going rate on the faceplate but used complete units seem to go for about $3000.

There is a guy flogging his up here on kijiji for last few months. $250 for complete unit with code.

If you go full replacement keys to switch out are $5 and takes about 10 minutes including coding.

Good luck!
$300. Not $3000. iPad typing still gets me....
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Originally Posted by fl996
Thanks for the great input! I will try to buy an old unit or faceplate whichever is the best deal. Ebay sounds like a good place to start. Looking to keep her stock.
There are a few on there. Removal keys available via dealer.

I hear you on stock. I added ipod cable ($15 on ebay) so I could have aux option but factory look.

I was tempted to do the iPod mini mod as it does look cool.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Freakhead
$300. Not $3000. iPad typing still gets me....
Dang! I have the original on a shelf in my garage. I was about to put in on eBay for $2900.

Quick Reply: CDR 220 Display Issue