996 Nav options

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 996 Nav options

Looking for new navigation options for my 4s. Currently I have a pioneer F90BT which isnt bad, but am looking for something new. The reason that I picked the pioneer unit was because it looked the least aftermarket of anything. I liked the fact that it still had a ****, it didnt have a bunch of crazy buttons, it has a CD slot in front and not some silly fold out screen etc. probably the biggest thing was the fact you can change to colors in it to be as close to factory as possible.

Thing is though I love the look of OEM, if the OEM nav wasn't soo terrible I would have jumped all over it. My friend recently got a Dynavin head unit which replicates the look of an OEM head unit in texture, colors, buttons, and dials, but is basically an android tablet in your dash. It is google maps based nave that will guide in map. satellite, or street views, has internet connectivity, and has an awesome syncing for mobile devices or ipods etc. I am wondering if there is something similar to Dynavin for a 996 application?

Current

Installed

Dynavin Product Page

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

That looks great. Why wouldn't it work in a 996?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
That looks great. Why wouldn't it work in a 996?
They are all shaped and contoured differently for specific applications (aka each model only fits one vehicle) They have 7 different models for BMW and 8 for mercedes alone. I was hoping that someone knew of a company that made something similar that is specific to the 996 dash.

DYNAVIN
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
ADSMAN
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in an app radio 2, love it, hooks to my iphone, can run netflix, google or apple maps, host of other stuff, including mirroring, so you can run any app on your iphone, play games etc, and it cost $380. Just a sleek nice screen, very ipad mini like.

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-...-35149836.html
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 AM
David Clarke
Advanced

I have the Dynavin in my wife's BMW X5... Its not great. Its got any number of issues and of the many many different units I have installed, was the most difficult to get to work correctly. Took months, whilst the Kenwood I put in a colleagues Peugeot a couple of weeks ago took 20 mins inc beer.

I hear you about the look and fit, basically there isn't really anything that fits and looks alike. However, if you browse ebay and look for Chinese units for a VW Passat B5 you will get one the right width for the Porsche gap, and the height is close enough. They will work slightly (only slightly) worse than the Dynavin.

For interest only, I am putting a Kenwood DNX in my car and getting over the look difference. I have had them before and they are IMHO the best.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 AM
David Clarke
Advanced

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-0-...item3a7bf28775

Android and the right size...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Kenwood/excelon,navteq/garmin currently the best,recommended highly!
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by David Clarke
I have the Dynavin in my wife's BMW X5... Its not great. Its got any number of issues and of the many many different units I have installed, was the most difficult to get to work correctly.

I hear you about the look and fit, basically there isn't really anything that fits and looks alike. However, if you browse ebay and look for Chinese units for a VW Passat B5 you will get one the right width for the Porsche gap, and the height is close enough. They will work slightly (only slightly) worse than the Dynavin.

I agree for the most part. The Dynavin knock-off(sounds weird) is Enco which makes both Android and Win CE versions. People have had more success at getting the Win CE version to work decent ouf of the box and is generally cheaper to boot.

You have a Porsche so I would personally go with a known brand name (Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc).

From a brand perspective I still feel a bit weird running Hankooks on my Porsche but hey they are decent tires for the money and they run them in DTM championships which are all German cars. lol
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
I agree for the most part. The Dynavin knock-off(sounds weird) is Enco which makes both Android and Win CE versions. People have had more success at getting the Win CE version to work decent ouf of the box and is generally cheaper to boot.

You have a Porsche so I would personally go with a known brand name (Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc).

From a brand perspective I still feel a bit weird running Hankooks on my Porsche but hey they are decent tires for the money and they run them in DTM championships which are all German cars. lol
I do currently have a Pioneer double din nav unit, I just want OEM looking without having to suffer with the OEM 996 Nav system

Quick Reply: 996 Nav options