Sponsored by:

99 Failed AOS/Coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM
airbusdrvr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Failed AOS/Coolant leak?

Wife said her 996 had a rough idle, saw some white smoke, accompanied by an odd noise. Drove 1 mile back home. Noise and rough idle went away. Still a little smoke. Parked car, shut down engine. Called me with her issue. Sent her out to the garage to complete the DIY "Failed AOS" test but then she noticed coolant leaking near the rear of the engine, closer to the driver's side. Coolant was raining down.

I found a post that mentioned coolant runs through the AOS. Is this correct? Another post pointed to the coolant expansion tank, since leak looked liked it was on the left. Engine was off before she looked to see where smoke came from.

I'm out of town, so I can't provide more detail. Any thoughts to help calm my nerves till I get home?

Thanks

PS Car was just in for the two CEL's that usually come on regarding a leak in the secondary air/evap system. They found a leak via a smoke test and fixed the line. Now 30 miles later, this happens.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. A coolant leak can also be a part of AOS failure. Had the same problem. Thought it was the water pump. AOS should be Air-Oil-Coolant Separator.

Quick Reply: 99 Failed AOS/Coolant leak?