Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My first "mod" - aux input to CDR-220 ('02 996 C2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, after the big scare of intermix, I decided to tackle this simple, yet very convenient, project. Before posting reference pictures, some notes I mentally took while doing this:
1- the removal keys are placed with the straight side pointing to the left (driver's side USA models)
2- the 8 pin plug in my case was occupied by the phone interface
3- if you remove the black plug, you will have to re enter your radio code
4- you better have small hands to fit in the single DIN slot to route the cable or you will get small cuts on the top of your hand.
5- make sure to first route the cable all the way into the back and then forward through one of the metal holes, otherwise, the head unit will "pinch" the cable as you slide it back into its place and will be impossible to do so.
6- do not underestimate how patience-testing it is to put the head unit back. In my case, it took me nearly an hour, but largely due to the fact that I was afraid that if I pushed any harder, I would bend something and make this a very expensive job.
7- do try the proper operation before inserting the head unit back to make sure it all works fine.
8- the instructions on how to activate the aux input are perfect and require no additional comments.
9- works perfectly to listen to music, but if you try to make a phone call and use the built in mic on your phone and the aux cable as your speakerphone, it will not work due to the reverb/static noise you will get. Very similar to the noise you get when you receive a cell phone call and your cell is sitting right next to a fixed line phone that has a speakerphone.
10- enjoy cleaning those scrapes!

Here are the pics from beginning to end. Please let me know if you have any doubts or additional questions!
Attached Images         

Last edited by Gus B.; 02-18-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM
inlandsurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if this will work for PCM1?

(Tried the search but couldn't find it...)
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

For the CDR23 with MOST, I am happy with the FM modulator that is part of the XM unit. Rarely can I hear background noise.

There are complex solutions for hard wire solution. The link is one I found, and do not know if there are better choices:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...with-pics.html
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Hey, guys, I'll try this question in here. I've searched the internet high and low with no luck.

I have 2002 Turbo, CDR220. The above photo series looks like mine except I have 3 plugs, with a green one between the blue and yellow. I replaced the blue with the same cable shown in GusB's photos above. The HU wouldn't recognize the AUX. I of course turned AUX on, and have gone back and verified several times that it "stuck." So yes, AUX is turned on in the menu, but the Source button just cycles between CD, CDC, and FM. In CDC it comes up and says NO CD and switches back to CD mode.

So I put a CD in the changer, now it says LOADING, then as soon as the CD loads I get sound from my iPhone 4S. Works perfectly. But the display continues to read CDC, Track 1. I can live with that, and I'm happy to have it working, but it bugs me that it sounds like most of you are getting an AUX display on the HU, and don't have to put a CD in the changer.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-09-2013, 08:38 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I have definitely seen posts from others who have had the same issue (CD must be inserted for the Aux to work). I searched for a minute, but didn't find the other posts. Look around a bit.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

just did this. awesome
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
Does anyone know if this works for the CDR23?
Sadly, no. I bought the cable, connects easily. However I cannot find anyway to activate Aux in the CDR23
Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Well, after the big scare of intermix, I decided to tackle this simple, yet very convenient, project. Before posting reference pictures, some notes I mentally took while doing this:
1- the removal keys are placed with the straight side pointing to the left (driver's side USA models)
2- the 8 pin plug in my case was occupied by the phone interface
3- if you remove the black plug, you will have to re enter your radio code
4- you better have small hands to fit in the single DIN slot to route the cable or you will get small cuts on the top of your hand.
5- make sure to first route the cable all the way into the back and then forward through one of the metal holes, otherwise, the head unit will "pinch" the cable as you slide it back into its place and will be impossible to do so.
6- do not underestimate how patience-testing it is to put the head unit back. In my case, it took me nearly an hour, but largely due to the fact that I was afraid that if I pushed any harder, I would bend something and make this a very expensive job.
7- do try the proper operation before inserting the head unit back to make sure it all works fine.
8- the instructions on how to activate the aux input are perfect and require no additional comments.
9- works perfectly to listen to music, but if you try to make a phone call and use the built in mic on your phone and the aux cable as your speakerphone, it will not work due to the reverb/static noise you will get. Very similar to the noise you get when you receive a cell phone call and your cell is sitting right next to a fixed line phone that has a speakerphone.
10- enjoy cleaning those scrapes!

Here are the pics from beginning to end. Please let me know if you have any doubts or additional questions!
Is there a trick to removing the removal keys? My keys went in easily, radio came out without any problem, but now the tools won't come out.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!!! Ordered!!!

Great tip.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Sorry, new job has taken what little time I have left to check boards and the car has given me some RMS issues as well as a new AC, so been quite against it lately.

Regarding keys, the indy mechanic did it for me, so not sure how easy/tough that part is.

NoGaBiker: all I did was follow the instructions posted elsewhere regarding setting up the Aux input. My car never had a CD changer, so maybe that is why?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
996Ray
Instructor

Hi All,

One question....I don't have a CD changer....I just have the single CD player that is part of the head unit. If I do this mod, do I lose the capability to play CD's by sticking the CD in the head unit?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can sat radio be added to the oem unit this way too?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Your built in CD player will still work fine. You just have to cycle through the sources (FM, Aux, CD, etc) using the "S" button on the head unit.

No clue about the sat radio. This is basically an auxiliary input to any device through a standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

I get tons of interference from my cell phone signal, so I don't use it as often as I thought I would. If anyone has ever experienced odd noises off your 'dektop' speakerphone at the office when your cell phone is nearby and about to receive a call, then you know what interference I'm referring to.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:54 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Thanks Gus B - great news!!!!

Ray
Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered the cable. Does anybody have a picture of the removal keys used to remove the HU?

Quick Reply: My first "mod" - aux input to CDR-220 ('02 996 C2)