Sponsored by:

Factory PSE early 2002 with no dash switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 AM
andrewlunka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory PSE early 2002 with no dash switch *SOLVED*

Ok so I have read all available information of the net about this topic. I have a 2002 C4S with a factory PSE option. These cars did not have a switch in the dash till 2003. Now when I popped off the dash attached to the dummy switch was the plug for PSE. I tried putting on a extra door lock switch to see if it would work but with no luck. I popped down the relay carrier down and found the relay for the PSE. Now all the wires in the wiring diagram are there and in the right place.

So my question is my relay is different from the 03 one. Is all I have to do is find a 03 relay and switch it out. Or can I modify the 02 relay to make it like a 03 one? Then add a dash switch in and I have a on/off switch for PSE?

I am planning on cutting the circuit board in the relay to remove the speed control of PSE. I read it was for EURO regulations. Also I read you can just cut the grey/pink wire instead?
Attached Images     

Last edited by andrewlunka; 08-11-2016 at 02:22 AM. Reason: i figured out the problem and wanted others to know
Old 07-10-2016, 01:58 PM
healey1968
Instructor

These cars did not have a switch in the dash till 2003.
Are you saying the C4S models didn't get the switch until 2003? I have a 2002 C2 with PSE and it had a switch on the dash.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I am more curious why anyone needs the switch.... stock is as quiet as a prius and the PSE isn't that loud....
Old 07-11-2016, 12:29 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine doesn't have the switch either and I'm not sure if it was the PO not installing it or if it did exist and he removed it.

So it's always loud but at slower speeds or RPM's it really isn't that bad. Even at highway speeds the wind and road noise is louder than the engine noise.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:09 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

OP, are you sure this isn't a dead end road? Not trying to be pessimistic, but it seems like you definitely have one of the earlier non-switchable PSE systems which would mean "sports mode" is on all the time. RL members please correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that the newer PSE systems (with switch on the dash) are both electronic and mechanical meaning you enable or disable the Porsche sport exhaust via the toggle switch, the car engages/disengages a vacuum that opens and closes baffles in the exhaust system. And so, even if you install the proper electronics (i.e. switch, relays, etc.), you still won't have the mechanical side to the system.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 07-11-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:18 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
OP, are you sure this isn't a dead end road? Not trying to be pessimistic, but it seems like you definitely have one of the earlier non-switchable PSE systems which would mean "sports mode" is on all the time. RL members please correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that the newer PSE systems (with switch on the dash) are both electronic and mechanical meaning you enable or disable the Porsche sport exhaust via the toggle switch, the car engages/disengages a vacuum that opens and closes baffles in the exhaust system. And so, even if you install the proper electronics (i.e. switch, relays, etc.), you still won't have the mechanical side to the system.
Mine had all of the hardware needed (vacuum actuators and lines) to turn it on and off but just no switch. Once I saw this I removed all of the hardware since it was just sitting there.

Saved myself 1-2 pounds of weight!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Mine had all of the hardware needed (vacuum actuators and lines) to turn it on and off but just no switch. Once I saw this I removed all of the hardware since it was just sitting there.

Saved myself 1-2 pounds of weight!
Fernando,

Wow, that's interesting! Did your car have the relays and hook up connectors for the switch?

And, when you removed it, did you get any type of MIL indications?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:39 AM
andrewlunka
Instructor

Originally Posted by healey1968
Are you saying the C4S models didn't get the switch until 2003? I have a 2002 C2 with PSE and it had a switch on the dash.
Could you send me a pic of your relay? the relay is on the relay board above the fuse box (Driver side foot well" it just pulls out like a plug. It should be on the top row. It will look like one of my pictures. I am interested to know which one it looks like

Originally Posted by fpena944
Mine doesn't have the switch either and I'm not sure if it was the PO not installing it or if it did exist and he removed it.

I am sure it was factory. early 2002 cars did not get the switch, but got every thing else. the wiring and plugs are all there. I am thinking Porsche had it all set up but did not get the relays or switch ready. So they just put in the old relay and know switch. I bet if you pop of the dash peace on the bottom right switch (should be a dummy) but the plug should be attached to the dummy switch

So it's always loud but at slower speeds or RPM's it really isn't that bad. Even at highway speeds the wind and road noise is louder than the engine noise.
Yes it is loud up to 50kms then quiet between 50-70kms (30-50MPH) then loud again. The reason for this was German road noise regulation at those speeds. There is simple mod of pulling the relay, opening it up, and clipping a small wire inside to stop this quite mode at those speeds.
Attached Images  

Last edited by andrewlunka; 07-12-2016 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
Old 07-12-2016, 03:45 AM
andrewlunka
Instructor

No this is not correct. My car has the vacuum operated valves in the exhaust and all the electronics. I know this because the valves close between 50-70kms. I also have a relay on the relay board, and the plug with wires to it attached to the dummy switch where the switch should be located. I also check to see if I have all the wires listed in the diagram above of a 2003 PSE system and they are all there. I really think all I need is the 03 relay and a switch.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fernando,

Wow, that's interesting! Did your car have the relays and hook up connectors for the switch?

And, when you removed it, did you get any type of MIL indications?
Honestly I haven't checked to see if any of the electronics are in place. The vacuum canisters were hooked up to junction in the engine bay but I don't know if the electronics were in place when I bought the car.

Originally Posted by andrewlunka
Yes it is loud up to 50kms then quiet between 50-70kms (30-50MPH) then loud again. The reason for this was German road noise regulation at those speeds. There is simple mod of pulling the relay, opening it up, and clipping a small wire inside to stop this quite mode at those speeds.
It's still quiet even without the electronic controls. I mean it's still a lot louder than the stock system but the loudest sounds take place under aggressive acceleration, not so much in regular driving situations.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

any update on whether this is doable?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 AM
andrewlunka
Instructor

Default Solved

Originally Posted by pierre_l
any update on whether this is doable?
After great deal of research and not finding the answer anywhere. I have figured out that you can add a switch to factory PSE cars with out the switch.

What you will need.
2003 PSE relay
exhaust switch, which you can order from sun coast (or another switch)

after popping of the dash you should see a plug attached to the back of the dummy switch on the lower right side. you will have to move the lower right wire in the plug from the lower right side to the lower left side if you want the switch on the right side of the dash. See before pic in first post and after moving the wire connector in this post. After that just connect the switch.

Next you will have to buy a 2003 relay or newer. I found one on ebay. now if you don't want the speed cut out between 50-70km you will have to pop the relay open (see pic below) and cut the diode marked. after that replace the old 2002 relay with the new 2003 relay.

Thats it all done. now you will have control of the PSE and have no speed controlled cut out
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Factory PSE early 2002 with no dash switch