Sponsored by:

First time Porsche buyer would appreciate wise council

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Speedy,
Cons: price, n00b K&N mod, wheels, not a C4S(just kidding disclaimer)

Pros: its a Porsche, its a 996

IMO you could get an 02+ car with better options, improved interior, improved larger engine for the same money.

Dont get in a hurry. There are many out there for sale.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
speedynix
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your advice-- I really appreciate it. I chatted with the dealer and told them that I thought the car ought to be priced in the low/mid 20s (maybe somewhere around 23-24k. The dealer thought it was a low ball offer and told me they wanted 29. Period.

My quest for the perfect 996 continues! Happily, there are many of these delightful beasts out there! I will join the Rennlist community and keep my eyes pealed on the classifieds!

Thank you all!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedynix
I have been looking for a 996 with relatively low mileage and at a relatively low price--not an easy task. I recently found this 2001 beauty at a dealership in CT. I would love to hear people's thoughts on it.

It is low mileage (28,000), has had 3 owners, and seems to have had a fairly uneventful history (although there was an engine electrical test).

Anyway, would be very grateful for any council you 996-ers may have to offer.

http://www.champagnemotorcarcompany....zip=&distance=
Were I the (St,d)ealer I would have IMMEDIATELY junked that K&N rather than have the buyer suspect, conclude, that the MAF/IAT has been, is being compromised, or even the engine in the long term.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
You are also paying for those hideous 19" wheels.
I concur! I just didn't want to be the first to say so.

Try to find an '02 or newer if you can. This one seems pricey to me, but that seems to be the consensus here.

Of course, my experience has been that every car out there - according to the experts on Rennlist - is too expensive. Unless it's their car for sale, in which case they are giving it away.

If you find a nice car that needs nothing, it's worth a few grand more than a cheaper car that needs a little bit of attention. If this is your first Porsche, go to Tirerack or your favorite retailer and price a set of good tires, front and rear. Budget accordingly.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993

Of course, my experience has been that every car out there - according to the experts on Rennlist - is too expensive. Unless it's their car for sale, in which case they are giving it away.

If you find a nice car that needs nothing, it's worth a few grand more than a cheaper car that needs a little bit of attention. If this is your first Porsche, go to Tirerack or your favorite retailer and price a set of good tires, front and rear. Budget accordingly.
Exactly. Some day I'm going to find that $17k 40,000 mile 2002 some people keep telling us about. It's probably be driven by an imaginary girlfriend.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Exactly. Some day I'm going to find that $17k 40,000 mile 2002 some people keep telling us about. It's probably be driven by an imaginary girlfriend.
Doesn't the ads usually read "driven by an old lady"?

Quick Reply: First time Porsche buyer would appreciate wise council