Sponsored by:

Selling to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
laxaholic33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling to dealer

I haven't had too much time or luck selling my car, and I need to sell it before February. It's very clean and has few problems. Does anyone have experience with selling 996s to dealers? I need a 4wd SUV so a Porsche dealer is out of question...so it'd have to be an auto group or something. Anyways if anyone can give me some advice thatd be great
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold a 996 to a dealer years ago and the transaction went well. There are so many variables with your question that makes it really tough to answer. What are your expectations? Car info?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Trade it to the Porsche dealer for a Cayenne - there's your 4wd SUV!

Problem solved, no need to thank me.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen

+1
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a terribly low offer at my local Porsche dealer (champion porsche) but carmax gave me a 'decent' price for my car I think, +- $5 lower than resale direct to buyer.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
laxaholic33
Intermediate

It's a 2000 coupe..55k miles good tires needs front brakes soon...first clutch all maintenance records kept...it's been a great car but I moved to western Washington and need something else. I'm only here for 2 years then I'll move back to a place where a newer 911 can be happy, so I just am gonna get a regular SUV. I wanna trade it in but I'm not sure a Toyota dealer or whatever will give me a good deal. Can't hurt to ask though.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by laxaholic33
It's a 2000 coupe..55k miles good tires needs front brakes soon...first clutch all maintenance records kept...it's been a great car but I moved to western Washington and need something else. I'm only here for 2 years then I'll move back to a place where a newer 911 can be happy, so I just am gonna get a regular SUV. I wanna trade it in but I'm not sure a Toyota dealer or whatever will give me a good deal. Can't hurt to ask though.
Keep the 996 and shop around for a used SUV to drive the 2 years. You'll take a depreciation hit when you sell the 996 and then the other car when you get rid of it to buy another Porsche.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A trade in and the dealer always wins. He either gives you a good price on yours but wallops the price up on the SUV or drops the price on the SUV ( just to make you bite) but gives you a crap price on yours. If you are a DIY guy. Do the brakes on the 996 and any other farting little jobs and hang on till the right buyer comes along. Thats IMHO for what it's worth. 55000 miles is low milage and will sell the car for you. Patience is a virtue. Advertise it in all the right places.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

If you haven't sold your car to other buyers it's because your price is too high. Use the trade in price as your low water mark and start lowering your price. It will sell. If you start getting close the trade in price just bring it to the dealer. I doubt you'll get any better price at a Porsche dealership than at a Toyota place. If you're going to trade it in, then I'd do it before you do any additional work on it. If you're going to sell to an individual you've got a better shot of recouping that cost as Hurdi suggested.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen

+2!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by laxaholic33
..it's been a great car but I moved to western Washington and need something else.
I assume that you're needing something else for reasons other than the weather, as I live in Western WA and it's great country for a Porsche.

At worst, throw a set of snow tires on for the winter. A C2 does reasonably well in the snow with summer tires and is great with snows. 17" wheels are fairly easy to find ($500-$800 for a set + snows).

If your car is running well, every year you drive it, you're probably making money over selling it at a weak price (lose money) and get a new(er) car with more aggressive depreciation (more lost money; about 20% per year).
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What kind of offers are you getting?

996's are bargains right now. You might find a trade-in dealer who doesn't do his homework and offers you too much for the car. They don't screw up often, but a Toyota dealer used car manager might not keep up with Porsche pricing.

IMHO, a 2000 C2, 55K miles, in superb interior/exterior condition and full documentation is full retail at no more than $24K if you find just the right buyer (which doesn't usually happen in a cold climate in January). Price it at $21K or even $20K to get it sold.

$17K trade in is all I would expect, again assuming it is in perfect condition.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Some states give a tax credit towards the new car purchase in the amount of the value of your trade.

Because of this, and because selling to people is unbelievably annoying, I always trade in.

You negotiate the price of the car you're buying *first*. That's a no brainer. If the dealer says "do you have a trade?" You say "no". Then once you know what you're paying you say "ah, you know what, lets talk about the trade".

They will give you pretty much straight book if the car is reasonably clean. I've probably traded 10 cars in the past 5 years or so and every time its gone that way. You can hit Nada and get a really good idea of what you're going to get.

You can use the Autotrader online trade-in program and get a *guaranteed* sale. Their participating dealers actually *guarantee* they'll meet the quote (as long as the car is as you represented)

I did this and ended up actually getting *more* than what "prospective buyers" were claiming the car was "worth" on my Toyota FJ Cruiser. People were telling me that I'd be "lucky" to get $19k because "these trucks don't sell" (yet they want to buy one). The dealer gave me $20,500. When I traded in my 09 GTR a few months ago, I got $57k from the dealer which neutralized the tax on my new Rover (since the Rover was less than $57k), and the dealer wrote me a check. The "offers" that had been coming in were $49k-$55k and the people were *belligerent* when I'd tell them they were dreaming. Factoring in the value of the tax savings, Id have needed to get over $60k to have done better private sale. Possible? Maybe. But Id way rather let the dealer handle the aggravation of selling a used GTR

To me its a no brainer between driving it into the dealer and handing them the keys after a 10 minute inspection, and dealing with dozens of tire kickers who all feel they are doing you a favor by offering you $500 more than dealer trade-in value and insisting that the car be a perfect virgin. Not saying there arent great, honest, reasonable buyers... But you have to deal with a *lot* of people that either want to steal your car and have you thank them for it, or just flat out waste your time, to find them.

(yes, Im jaded after too many years of selling off used cars )
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 AM
healey1968
Instructor

Where in western WA? If you're on the west side of the mountains you really don't need 4wd.

Quick Reply: Selling to dealer