Sponsored by:

Another keyless entry issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
dailydriverC4s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another keyless entry issue

I realize this has already been addressed multiple times on the forum, but I cannot figure out the issue with my keyless entry.

I had one key that I used and a spare that sat in the closet. The key I use started having issues that looked like a weak battery (the light on the fob would get very dim). I replaced the battery and it would work fine for a little bit, then would seem to go dead again in a very short time. I replaced the battery again, and started thinking there was some sort of short in the fob. I didn't have time to mess with it so I used it when it would work, and just unlocked the door with the key when it didn't for a while.

My wife drove the car one day and the battery mysteriously went dead (even though she did not leave the lights on).... I went to get her, jumped the car and it was fine with the exception of the continuing issue with keyless entry. From that point forward keyless never worked. We went on vacation, and after a few weeks passed I decided to look into it.

I took the key apart, desoldered the battery from the board and resoldered all the points I could get to with my iron. I put it all back together and the issue with the battery drain on the key appears resolved (the light on the fob lights up bright all the time).

I have tried resetting both keys by starting the car, shutting it off and trying the remote lock from the key multiple times, but nothing seems to work. I have tried locking and unlocking the car with the key before and after starting it, hitting the lock button while the car is running, after shutting it off with the key in the ignition, doors opened, closed, everything I can think of but it is not working.

I find it hard to believe that the problem is with the alarm itself as it was working intermittently before the car battery died, and the key fob definitely exhibited issues when it was working intermittently...

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated, as I am dreading the dealers bill on this one!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Save your time. If the battery flip trick doesn't revive it, replace the internals.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
dailydriverC4s
Track Day

What do you mean the internals? On the remote?

I have 2 remotes, one was sort of working, the other has sat in a closet for a few years but I am fairly certian it worked prior to this issue. What are the chances both have bad guts, but the lights are still working?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

The car lost contact with the remote heads. The lights light but nobody speaks that language anymore.

The only way to reacquaint them is with the dealers Rosetta Stone. For that to work you need the 17? digit code that matches the head.
If you don't have the code then you will need to buy new heads with the codes attached and have the dealer program them to the car.
Sunset Porsche has been the least expensive place to buy new heads.
If you do that, keep the codes in your manual in case it happens with the new ones in the future.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
dailydriverC4s
Track Day

one of the remotes came with the car, the other was purchased through the dealer. I wasn't given any kind of code, do you think they retain them?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

No but you can always ask.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is happening to me as well...I pretty much did everything you did to no avail. Looks like we need to get new fobs!

Quick Reply: Another keyless entry issue