Sponsored by:

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 AM
clb0099
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

Ok , so i was driving my car and all of sudden the car started feeling sluggish when I pressed the gas pedal. Then the low oil pressure light came on in the dashboard area. Two minutes later the car stalled out and would not start. I went to get oil containers of mobil one thinking that was the issue but in fact it was not. I was able to start the car by turning the key and giving it gas and the car went about a mile and died with the engine started to blink. After the car totally died, I popped the trunk and inspected as it seems like smoke was coming from the tailpipes. As I looked closer I saw that ithe coolant container was completely empty.dry as a bone. So i walked over to another gas station and got it a gallon of coolant which barely filled the tank up. The idiot light for the coolant came on and said check coolant level. Then to make things worst I go to turn the key and it makes all the lights flicker but the car does not turn over.... So I have a friends battery pack and it drains the battery back but doesn't start the car.... I had it flatbedded to my house and the car is on a battery tender as of now... Any ideas of wtf happened and what caused the car to die? The engine temperature was no near high at all so.. it didn't overheat did it?

These are the codes I got from durametric

P0071
Porsche fault code 76 - Ambient temperature (via CAN

P0571
Porsche fault code 364 - Brake pedal position sensor

P1341
Porsche fault code 900 - Inlet camshaft bank 1

P1325
Porsche fault code 901 - Inlet camshaft bank 2

P0300
Porsche fault code 507 - Misfire detection

P0301
Porsche fault code 508 - Misfire cylinder 1

P0302
Porsche fault code 510 - Misfire cylinder 2

P0303
Porsche fault code 512 - Misfire cylinder 3

P0304
Porsche fault code 511 - Misfire cylinder 4

P1601
Porsche fault code 660 - CAN timeout - instrument cluster
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

I don't know what it is but I sure as hell wouldn't try to start again until I had a professional look at it. Loss of coolant and low oil pressure equal engine damage to me. Maybe pull the filter and drain the oil to look for metal.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My advice for what it's worth. Have it flat bedded further into a Porche garage or Indy. You know the readers thoughts will lead into the dreaded XXX again. It's a big engine problem and way over your head unless you are a first class DIY man. You know whats wrong. The Durametric told you. Good luck I think you need it. Oh and sorry for your break down.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

What type of coolant did you add. Adding the wrong type can cause some issues...
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/C...ntifreeze.html
Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
renaissance.man
Advanced

As a serious gearhead who does almost all his own work (including a few engine rebuilds), I would say definitely do not try to start the car - it will most likely result in more damage. And those codes would not have been thrown if it was a dead battery. You have a serious engine problem here that sounds like it involves engine internals.

I know it is difficult to accept, however, take it to someone more knowledgeable.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Does the oil smell burnt, look like tar or butterscotch pudding? What was the engine temp? (sensor was probably suspended in steam by then so not too accurate)
No coolant, no oil pressure, engine won't turn even with two batteries...cooked main + rod bearings, pistons welded to scored cylinder walls = engine seized from overheating or intermix
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I hope you didn't destroy your engine by trying to resolve it yourself. If your car suddenly loses power and/or your oil pressure suddenly drops, shut the engine off immediately and don't try to restart it. Have it flat-bedded to a reliable shop.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by clb0099
So i walked over to another gas station and got it a gallon of coolant which barely filled the tank up. The idiot light for the coolant came on and said check coolant level.
The 996 takes 5.95 U.S. gallons/22.5 liters of coolant, so it's a little scary that this happened. Doesn't sound good at all - keep us informed.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Agree that you need to have it flatbedded to a professional.

Quick Reply: HELP