GT3 Suspension Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool GT3 Suspension Installed

Installed my refreshed GT3 suspension today.

Only issue I hit was the following:

- The stock GT3 front drop links interfere with the wheel carrier and cannot be used (unless you install the GT3 carrier). Luckily, I happened to have an aftermarket adjustable set and installed those instead (attached to the pinch bolt).

Thank you to Bilstein, Tarett, and Rennline.

Huge thanks to everyone before me who shared their knowledge regarding this upgrade! Rennlist rocks!

Now, to the track!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

great job, looking forward to see your car at mosport hehe
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out the Tarett drop link shock mounts. They correct the geometry of the pinch bolt solution. In particular, the drop link mounted to the pinch bolt is shorter thn optimal, and under certain inputs, the sway bar will exacerbate will lift. I recall that you can verify this by putting the front of the car on jack stands and adding wheel lock. One of the wheels will slightly lift.

I think there are some threads on this, most likely in the racing section as the spec boxsters were the folks that developed the solution. I have some pictures of this on my old car showing huge wheel lift. I'll dig them up and repost a little later.

-td
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can post pictures of the front setup with your drop links, I think that was the tought point indeed.

Did you send your shocks to bilstein for remanufacture ? did you also send the springs ? or just the shocks ?

The 996 stock suspension is too high and too soft, with this setup you will have a lot more fun.
But for daily driving I think the stock suspension does wonder.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just curious why you are not using the stock GT3 front sway bar mount collars? That would be more optimal.

Mine only had 1 set of collars that came with my used set. I transferred them to the rears and used the pinch bolt location for awhile until I could locate some GT3 ones.

In my quest, I found that you couldn't buy just the collars from Porsche NA as they didn't even have a separate part number for it. I read somewhere that this was only available through Porsche Motorsports division.

During that quest, I found a Chicago Porsche tuning company that offers aftermarket sway bar mount collars similiar to the stock ones. I forgot the link at the moment but I'm sure you can find them if you do a search.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Found it: http://www.gocpt.com/products/9/CPT-...ar-Bracket.php
Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

What's the difference between the GT3 suspension and the X74 or X73 suspension?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

In a quick nutshell:
GT3 suspension is stiffer(swaybar, dampening, spring rates) and height adjustable so you can corner weight it for hardcore track junkies. It has different swaybar pickup points to use with the GT3 adjustable sway bars.

x74 is more sport tuned for the streets and non adjustable in both factory sway bar and height.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I think there are some threads on this, most likely in the racing section as the spec boxsters were the folks that developed the solution. I have some pictures of this on my old car showing huge wheel lift. I'll dig them up and repost a little later.

-td
From a 2009 thread on this:

Originally Posted by rwiii
I'm guessing it's a good thing because I see it all the time.
It could be described as good or bad, depending on the setup. On a road course not all corners are identical, and a car might be setup for the majority of corners, resulting in wheel lift in one or two others. In general it is a function of spring rates and antiroll bars. However, as Andy noted, it could also be caused/exacerbated by the setup itself.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Lots of info has been discovered on mounting the GT3 bars in the stock 996 and boxster drop link location (pinch bolt) causing issues with wheel lift.
Andy
When I had this setup (GT3 bars and short drop links), I could lift in virtually any type of corner. Some examples are below. As you can see, the wheel is lifting a lot. It looks like 4-5 inches - AND the rear tire is starting to lift also. This was on Hoosier R6s.

Originally Posted by Fissionx
remember that weight transfer is bad

bigger sway bar will reduce suspension travel, all else being equal -> thus it's easier/possible to lift a wheel
Just to clarify this piont, weight transfer is unavoidable, and not necessarily bad. You can't affect the total amount of weight transer with roll bars or springs or dampers since weight transfer is a function of ride height (center of gravity), wheel base (or width), and acceleration (lat or long). But you can affect the rate of weight transfer and the amount of suspension travel. The critical issue is controlling and utilizing weight transfer to improve handling under braking / cornering / acceleration.

That being said, you would typically want all 4 wheels in contact with the road so that the workload is properly shared. But that is not always possible.
-td
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad to see everything made it's way onto the car successfully.

Get out there and enjoy it now!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Job

Great Job and it will be nice to see the car on the track. I have already practiced the passing signal
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by himself
Check out the Tarett drop link shock mounts. They correct the geometry of the pinch bolt solution. In particular, the drop link mounted to the pinch bolt is shorter thn optimal, and under certain inputs, the sway bar will exacerbate will lift. I recall that you can verify this by putting the front of the car on jack stands and adding wheel lock. One of the wheels will slightly lift.

-td
Ira from Tarett was a great help and mentioned that solution. At the time, I had already purchased the oem sway bar collars. It was my understanding that an adjustable drop link, that attached to the gt3 collar, was available (it isn't). I resigned myself to the oem drop links.

Originally Posted by philooo
If you can post pictures of the front setup with your drop links, I think that was the tought point indeed.

Did you send your shocks to bilstein for remanufacture ? did you also send the springs ? or just the shocks ?

The 996 stock suspension is too high and too soft, with this setup you will have a lot more fun.
But for daily driving I think the stock suspension does wonder.
I'll snap some photos this week. Send your shocks, without springs, to Bilstein with the "Service Order Repair Form" included in the package and you'll get a call when they arrive.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alpine003
Just curious why you are not using the stock GT3 front sway bar mount collars? That would be more optimal.

Mine only had 1 set of collars that came with my used set. I transferred them to the rears and used the pinch bolt location for awhile until I could locate some GT3 ones.

In my quest, I found that you couldn't buy just the collars from Porsche NA as they didn't even have a separate part number for it. I read somewhere that this was only available through Porsche Motorsports division.

During that quest, I found a Chicago Porsche tuning company that offers aftermarket sway bar mount collars similiar to the stock ones. I forgot the link at the moment but I'm sure you can find them if you do a search.
You can order the oem collars from FVD ( http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/..._993_rear.html ). Which drop links are you using in the front now? There wasn't enough clearance for the oem link between the collar and the carrier.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1way2rock
Great Job and it will be nice to see the car on the track. I have already practiced the passing signal
Thanks for your help this weekend!!

Quick Reply: GT3 Suspension Installed