996 blown motor

Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 996 blown motor

Just sold my car as a roller today.

I only had the car a few months, and had done the LNE IMS bearing and X51 baffles. First DE of the year; I heard a bang and coasted to a connector road. Turned out I trailed oil and coolant all over the track.

Brief autopsy by my shop showed thrown rod, cracked block and broken crank. Ugh. Not sure of the ultimate cause but I was running R-comps, which may have contributed. No indications of problems before-hand.

Anyway, disappointing for sure, and just venting here. I plan on getting back into a race car, one with a true dry sump. And meanwhile, consoled myself by putting in an order on a new '13 Boxster S.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 PM
yoopmqt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Horrible to hear. Have fun with the new S.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks man, enjoy the new S.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very sad to hear This is one of the main reasons that I take my car only once or twice a year to open track. I run it hard, without being abusive and give it plenty of rest between sessions These cars were made to run, and they are about the best car to do it in Good luck with the Boxster S
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I see plenty of 996 at the track with R compound at the track and no real problem, but I bet that the track configuration plays a role too. if you have long high speed turn where lateral g forces can be maintained for 4 or 5 seconds at time I assume the oil starvation problem could arise.

Lots of horror stories lately on the 996 forum. I'd be curious to know how much you sold the roller for.

IMS uprage is not the ultimate weapon, extended warranties still have a role
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah that sucks. What track?

I don't know what I would do in your situation but I'd probably spend the money to build it better, faster, stronger. My wife might feel differently though.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was at High Plains Raceway, no long sweepers. Agree re: warranties! I considered building it faster but the math really didn't work for me and I personally feel most comfortable with a dry sump oiling system. Phil, I'll PM you what my car went for...
Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 AM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, sorry to hear.
Great attitude though, deal with it and move forward.

All the best with the S.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

My understanding is that oil starvation occurs on long left hand sweepers and the car is on racing slicks. If you were on Nitto or Toyo R compounds, like NT-01 or RA1's, then the odds are that you had a different issue contribute to the failure.

No matter, it still sucks to hear this. Did you consider a new motor, or were you just ready for a new car?

Last edited by Hal; 05-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Too bad about your motor. Didn't take you long to sell your roller though. GL with the Boxster S, lots of great write ups about the new Boxster.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hal
My understanding is that oil starvation occurs on long left hand sweepers and the car is on racing slicks. If you were on Nitto or Toyo R compounds, like NT-01 or RA1's, then the odds are that you had a different issue contribute to the failure.

No matter, it still sucks to hear this. Did you consider a new motor, or were you just ready for a new car?
Yup, NT01s. Maybe it was a D chunk or slipped sleeve, not sure. Maybe the new owner will tear into the motor and can let me know.

I considered a replacement motor but I'd really be SOL if it happened again (I know, very unlikely), so decided against it. A Raby motor would've provided good peace of mind but they are... not inexpensive.

On another note, I test drove a Cayman S and literally frightened the sales guy twice, heh heh (he was fairly new to Porsches). I may have to go do "test drives" regularly this summer (July build slot for the S, this is gonna be hard) while I'm sans-Porsche.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Man I am sorry to hear about the blown engine but good to see you moving forward with a great attitude. Sounds like you are having fun with the test drives. The new generation Cayman definitely interests me and I will have to take a look at it down the road.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry hear of the blown motor. Accusump can be used to help with oil starvation. I'm installing one on my car to protect my recent investment.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I noticed the oil pressure needle taking dips last time at the track, and yes, a long lefthand sweeper. Just regular street Pirelli's. Is Accusump the recommended way to go?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
I noticed the oil pressure needle taking dips last time at the track, and yes, a long lefthand sweeper. Just regular street Pirelli's. Is Accusump the recommended way to go?
I track my 996 also. Based on all the research I have done, engine failures from oil starvation requires 2 things. 1.) Long left hand sweepers. 2.) Using racing slicks. Then enough G force can be generated to completely empty the pickup point. Street tires won't come close to that kind of laterial forces. And neither will DOT R compounds like RA1's or NT-01's.

So unless you are planning on racing slicks, there are cheaper ways to get extra protection / peace of mind. I was lucky and found a RL'er selling a new X51 oil pan. Alternatively, LN Engineering has a deep oil sump kit, and frankly it may be better for DE's than the X51.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 blown motor