996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Missing dash trim pieces

Old 03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing dash trim pieces

I bought my new to me 2004 996 4S in February. It has some small issues I have been working out. One that I have seemed to spend a lot of time on lately is the missing dash trim pieces. The car has the full leather interior with the Carbon Fiber trim on the dash except where it is missing on the top section near the windshield.

I have taken it to an upholsterer who wants $1,300 to pull the dash and take that section out near the windshield and redo it in all leather.

I have called a dismantler that says they never get cars with the Carbon Fiber pieces still on the dash because they have delaminated long ago.

I see where I can buy new pieces for about $900 but how long before they delaminate again.

None of these options are very appealing right now. I was wonder what any of you have done about this trim piece if you had it delaminate. I need some other ideas. Thanks for any additional ideas.

Here is some pictures of what I am left with to try to make look good again.
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
feds
Advanced

How about buying some carbon fiber and epoxy resin and make your own? Or you can buy some "carbon look" tape/vinyl and figure something out.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps just punt and find a black or gray plastic piece. It is a fairly unnoticeable spot.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Can someone do me a favor and take a couple of pictures of a non delaminated dash trim area and show me what this is suppose to look like. They do not have to be Carbon Fiber if you have some other material in that area that would be good though Carbon Fiber would be ideal.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh wow, guess I dodged a bullet here. I have (had) the exact same situation. My '99 has the carbon and full leather interior and the same piece delaminated (I live in Florida). I was able to peel the rest of it off and save the leather underneath. It looks reasonably OK so I'm just leaving it alone (I consider the full leather dash to be a work of art.) To answer your question, mine lasted for 10 years, like the rest of the carbon fiber pieces, until I started leaving it in the sun. Then it died in about 2 months. I am also losing the CF trim piece around the left front AC grill. In your situation I think I would just go the vinyl route, or glue in a matching leather piece.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same problem except that I have the wood trim. My wood trim is still there, but all cracked and buckling. I do have full leather, so I will need to check what is underneath the trim and then decide.

I know getting a replacement piece seems to be impossible.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the big problem with carbon fiber - looks cool, but it doesn't seem to be that durable.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

From reading the postings, carbon fibre in direct sunlight seems to be one mod we should try to avoid. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have CF on the outside of the windshield that terminates just under the hood. Was that an option that came with full leather, an independnt option or a mod? If it was an option, I always wondered why it was the only place on the car that had CF. I guess maybe the durability for the exterior use could be a factor.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
I have the same problem except that I have the wood trim. My wood trim is still there, but all cracked and buckling. I do have full leather, so I will need to check what is underneath the trim and then decide.

I know getting a replacement piece seems to be impossible.
Any chance you can shoot me a picture of what yours looks like. Up close please.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I've got the full leather dash, but the trim piece in question is black plastic. It still looks fine after 10 years. I can take a photo of it tonight when I get home. I walked to work today, so I don't have the car with me.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've got the full leather dash, but the trim piece in question is black plastic. It still looks fine after 10 years.
Any chance I can get an up close picture of what a perfect car looks like.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Here are some photos of the OEM plastic cover. Again, this car is also equipped with the full-leather interior.
Attached Images     
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Oh that's a little different than my how my trim is. This gives me another idea of what I can do in that area now.

Thanks a lot for posting the pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing dash trim pieces