Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adding distilled water to battery??

Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding distilled water to battery??

Here is a pic of the battery in my '99C4. I expect this is a replacement battery and may or may not be like the OEM one.

I know there are some batteries that are maintenance free, and on others you just pry off the top panels to get access to the battery cells. However, the battery in the photo does not seem to have any access slots to pry off the top.

Thoughts on this? Should I try to pry off the top cover, or leave well enough alone?
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

New group 48 battery for cheap, but good quality. IIRC my last costco battery was like $60, still in my car working great several years later.

Go to walmart, autozone, or costco.

Battery thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/2950-battery/
Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Leave it alone. Run over to your local auto parts store and get it tested for free. If it's not charging get a new one. I've always had good luck with Interstate.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:55 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

That is a "sealed" battery, no way to add water. If there were removable caps distilled would be the right choice.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Rickker
Racer

I don't need a new battery. This one is charging fine, and cranks the engine over just fine as well. I was just trying to be proactive. I have owned the car for over 3 years now and never done any battery maintenance. My 996 owner's manual says to add distilled water to the cells, as needed. It does not specify how to get access to the cells. Perhaps the OEM battery did have removable caps, but the one that I have now does not?

Anyway, thank you for your good advice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:22 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Yes with the original MOLS? battery it was possible to add water. The new ones are sealed, and you have a replacement.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

new ones are sealed
I don't think these are actually sealed. The manufacturer just placed a cover or sticker over the 6 plugs. In that picture, you should be able to remove the sticker that has the "+" and "-" and you should see the plugs to access the holes.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Rickker
Racer

Default Well, how about that!

Originally Posted by jeneric996
I don't think these are actually sealed. The manufacturer just placed a cover or sticker over the 6 plugs. In that picture, you should be able to remove the sticker that has the "+" and "-" and you should see the plugs to access the holes.
Well, you are absolutely correct! I started to peel back the label and sure enough, there are the filler caps. This pic shows just the left label peeled partially off. Thank you for the tip.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

That's great. Since you removed the sticker, please get some red paint or marker to note the + side. Although you know, another person who checks/works on your battery may not be careful.

Be careful with that fluid and splashing!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by jeneric996
That's great. Since you removed the sticker, please get some red paint or marker to note the + side. Although you know, another person who checks/works on your battery may not be careful.

Be careful with that fluid and splashing!
Thanks again for the tip, jeneric996. And yes, while there are + and - symbols molded next to the terminals, they are not easily seen, so your suggestion to mark these clearly is well taken.

BTW, one cell was well down. I added about 100 ml of distilled water to it, and topped up the other cells as well, about 30-40 ml in each one. Of course, this will not affect battery performance, but it just might extend the life of the battery.

Some of us on this forum will remember when battery maintenance was as common as oil changes and air filter replacement. Back in the sixties and seventies, batteries had to be topped up from time to time. I guess modern batteries do not require this, or the manufacturer would not paste a label over the filler caps. Still, one of the cells in my battery was well down....so I feel good about topping it up.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

You should always add water to fully charged batteries.

Also they typically have a fill to line.

You might find with this type of starting battery that the performance/longevity will actually decrease unless/until you can exercise the battery and it isn't too far gone.

If any of the plates were exposed to oxygen, it's too late anyways for h20 to help.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by logray
You should always add water to fully charged batteries.

Also they typically have a fill to line.

You might find with this type of starting battery that the performance/longevity will actually decrease unless/until you can exercise the battery and it isn't too far gone.

If any of the plates were exposed to oxygen, it's too late anyways for h20 to help.
Agreed. The battery was fully charged, and in good working order. Like I said, this was purely a proactive exercise. Also, when I said "topped up", I meant to the fill line, not full to the brim. All is well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding distilled water to battery??