996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

radio interference from cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 AM
rpolin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio interference from cell phone?

Guys,

I searched the site and found some similar problems w/ radar detectors or AM interference but I didn't seem to find anything about interference from a cell phone. I just want to make sure I'm not alone.

If I leave my iphone in the trays below the stock radio in my '02 C4 Cab, sometimes and not all the time, i get nasty interference on the radio. The phone works fine, it just impacts the radio and it doesn't matter if i am listening to AM/FM or CDs.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

I had that issue with my OEM stereo also. It was even worse if the phone was in the glovebox.

I have an aftermarket system now, and I still occasionally get interference, but only in very weak cell reception areas when the phone is searching for a signal.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

GSM phones just do that. Newer ones not as bad generally
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Cartronics.com
AutoX

Originally Posted by leedav
GSM phones just do that. Newer ones not as bad generally
+1
Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Years ago I had a system with multiple amps and I always knew when the phone was about to ring as the interference would start. A few seconds later the phone would ring.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpolin
Guys,

I searched the site and found some similar problems w/ radar detectors or AM interference but I didn't seem to find anything about interference from a cell phone. I just want to make sure I'm not alone.

If I leave my iphone in the trays below the stock radio in my '02 C4 Cab, sometimes and not all the time, i get nasty interference on the radio. The phone works fine, it just impacts the radio and it doesn't matter if i am listening to AM/FM or CDs.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I have the same problem. Easily resolved by moving the cell phone to another location - like the driver's door storage compartment.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Even though cell phones are only supposed to transmit on one particular frequency, they actually put out noise across a wide spectrum and can cause all sorts of interference- and not just on antennas, as this interference can couple onto wires between devices, even inside a device. It can vary significantly, even from phones that come off the same production line, and is hard to predict and correlate. Incidentally, this is why you're not supposed to use cell phones on an airplane. Fortunately, our cars are not gaussian cages like airplanes are, so it's easy to reduce the interference by moving your cell phone away from whatever it's affecting.

Name:  OnuPA.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  67.9 KB
Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
rpolin
Instructor

To finally put this issue to rest, the radio interference appears to be related to GSM cell phones only, as someone mentioned earlier, as I recently upgraded to the iphone 4S with Verizon and since doing so, i have not experienced any radio interference. Previously, i had an iphone through ATT which was GSM.

Quick Reply: radio interference from cell phone?