Sponsored by:

Hardtop removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
ahoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop removal

Hi, just bought n '01 cab with hardtop. Went to the manual to figure out how to remove top. Much to my chagrin, discovered the owner's manual was for a turbo, so no mention of hardtop. I have the tool and loosened the rear anchors. Now what? Search for youtube video showing removal, but none found. Any ideas? I'm planning on buying a manual, but want to get the top off ASAP.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

The top removal is quite easy:

Remove the cover on the front latch (top center of the w/s) and release the lock
Find the red-handled allen wrench in your tool bag
Remove the two round covers at the rear corners of the hard top
Insert the allen wrench and turn counter clockwise until the dot on the lock mechanism lines up the the red dot on the same mechanism (you will see it clearly when looking down through the glass). Do the same for the other side.
Once you are sure that both the rear locks are completely released and the front is also unlocked, WITH A HELPER slowly raise the rear of the top about 7-8 inches, then back the top off the vehicle
Reinsert the two round covers into the holes on the soft top

Reward yourself by taking a spirited drive with the top down!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 PM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure you have help
Old 09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Post #2 is exactly correct.

I have the benefit of an electric hoist from the previous owner, it's awesome as I can remove or install the hardtop by myself in about 5 minutes, unfortunately the company (EZ-top) seems to have ceased operation although their website is still functioning which allowed me to download the installation/owner's manual.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You can make a hard top hoist for ~$150
This is the top hoist that I made for less than $150 to allow me to mount\remove my top by myself.

1. 52" x 3/4 DIA steel pipe
2. Two 45 Deg fittings
3. Two 4" nipples
4. Two 3/4" caps
5. Two 1/4" eye bolts
6. 1 length ea of 3/4" and 1/2"pipe insulation
7. 10' of lightweight welded link chain
8. 6 pcs threaded chain joining links mine are ~5/16"dia (it was a 6 pack card)
9. Two 2 1/2" x 5/16 welded chrome rings
10. if you don't have any buy some 10-12" plastic wire ties while you are there
11. Two sets of bike rack straps - fabric straps with flat vinyl hooks for trunk lid (local bike store) $15
12. Harbor Freight 440 lb. electric winch ($89 on sale in store)
http://www.harborfreight.com/110-vol...rol-40765.html

1-10 Cost less than $35 total at Home Depot

1. Screw the pipe bits together to form a "\______/"
2. Drill holes in the pipe cap for the eye bolts. put them together and mount the caps.
3. Cover the pipe assy with the 3/4" foam pipe insulation all of the way to 1/2" past each end. Use wire ties to hold it together.
4. Figure the right length of chain to reach from the center of the top to the eye bolt on one side cut two pieces(leave it a couple links long (or buy another card of *8 above). there will be some left over
5. Using #8 hook the chains to the ring slide the 1/2" pipe foam over the chains put another #8 on the ends
6. Run the straps through one end of a 10" length of chain and tie them off. (Mine had adjustable buckles) put a #8 through the other end to tie to the 2nd ring, cover the chain with 1/2" foam

7. Hang your HF winch; I doubled the lift wire with the extra sheave to slow the lift speed

8. Hook your lifting rings with the straps, chain and padded pipe attached to the winch

9. Put the car under your lift unhook one end of the padded pipe, pass it through the car under the top hook it up and up up and away….

Now you have an electric hoist that allows you to easily mount and remove your top by yourself for about $140

Note: I had some open cell roll bar foam that I used for extra padding under the top edges. Also this year I shortened the chain and added short “training” leashes for 200+ pound dogs. The hooks make it easier to attach to the eyebolts. That is why I have the nylon strap through as a backup.
Attached Images
Attached Images       
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hardtop removal/installation

FWIW, I installed a ceiling hoist from Automotion, and that works great. But when removing or installing the hardtop, I usually ask my spouse to assist. She works the crank ("OK, turn it clockwise just a little, please") while I guide the top's removal or placement.

I've done this alone a time or two, but it's much faster and less stressful with some help.

relinuca

Quick Reply: Hardtop removal