Sponsored by:

996 convertible top not working light just blinks

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Aesir,

It does not sound reasonable to me.....

My diagnosis is that they are trying to rip you off, and that they are full of $hit.......

See the following:

If top is stuck in open position, look at the 2 flaps as you try to open the top....if one of them is "stuck" closed, tap it lightly to see if it opens.....this is the most common problem I have encountered........re greasing the "screws" may help.....

If stuck in the closed position, see if the above "hook" is even attempting to detach......if not, then you may have the frunk or engine lid not closed properly, or the e-brake micro-switch is faulty.......or one of the quarter rear windows is not moving (bad regulator?)....

Chances are one (or more) micro-switches malfunctioning, or not open/closing properly........not the motor......
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Aesir
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting that you mention the flaps, as that is one of the error codes that occurs. The fault that shows on the computer is "flap open" or something like that. Next time it's stuck in the open position, I'll have to check those.

It seems like it's more often stuck in the closed position, and when it is, the "hook" never attempts to detach--if it does, then the top opens without incident. The rear windows seem to operate perfectly, and I really doubt my bonnet or engine lids are not closed properly--are there microswitches associated with those that could fail? If the e-brake microswitch is faulty, then it doesn't affect the indicator light on the dash (which operates perfectly), and it must only fail intermittently.

In some rare cases, when you close the top from the open position, it will reach the closed position, and then the red light will start flashing before the windows automatically close. When that happens, the red light will stay on, and you will get the "Convertible Top Not In Limit Position" warning when you drive, but try to close it only get's the familiar blinking light. After starting/stopping the car several times, and trying to "Close" the top with the switch each time, it will just magically and briefly make a clicking noise and roll the windows down about 1/4" and back up again and then be closed for good with the light going out.

Thanks, Pesuazo, for the tips--gives me some new things to look into. If the above information inspires any other thoughts from anyone, they are welcome.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad to be of help......from what I read, it seems the micro switches for the flaps are misbehaving.

It does not sound like the "motor needs replacement".....if you have the workshop manuals, the convertible top is covered in the "996 Group 6 Body Exterior" file.

More information can be found in the "996 Group 0 Diagnosis From 61" file.......
Old 11-21-2015, 09:55 AM
RRRUFF
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting the thread because I had the exact problem and i checked hydraulic fluid levels; side flap, emergency brake and engine bay micro switches with no improvement. I accessed the top compartment motor from the back seat turned the motor just a little bit to check if the maybe the micro switch for the top compartment cover was acting up. That was it! The switch was fine but the mechanical arm was only barely making contact with the switch at the "close cover" limit. I assume the control unit was not getting a correct "cycle end" reading that was causing the top to not operate. I assume this can be the same issue whether the top is stuck closed or open.

The final fix was simply to torque down the micro switch bracket and inserted a spacer (i used electrical tape folded multiple times) between the switch and the base assembly in order to improve the contact action. The top has been working since!
The following users liked this post:
Luftundwasser (08-07-2023)
Old 03-05-2024, 12:19 AM
FasterPussycat
3rd Gear

Default Truck lid may be the answer

If the engine/lid is not closed all the way the top will not operate. I sometimes have to open the lid and let it drop then ift works fine
Originally Posted by apterr
Hello again,

Well after a few years of intermittent problems with the cab top it finally quit full time. I brought it to my non-dealer mechanic who told me it was definitely an electronic problem and that the dealer would have a diagnostic tool to tell which switch needed to be replaced. The dealer said they did not have such a device (can't believe this). They replaced the e-brake, not a solution. They then attempted to replace the hook latch (above the mirror), after telling me that it would be north of $1500 I asked them to put the top in the down position manually and call it a day. Do you have any suggestions on trouble shooting this issue other than replacing every switch (ignition switch was going to be next in line)? Thanks in advance. Andy
Old 03-05-2024, 04:54 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Welcome to the community, FasterPussycat! Also, you might now hold the new record for replying on the oldest thread.

Porschetech3 (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 09:01 PM
FasterPussycat
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Welcome to the community, FasterPussycat! Also, you might now hold the new record for replying on the oldest thread.

I like to set records! Actually this is Porsche 13 for me but I have never owned a Cab. I think there must be a micro-switch on the rear lid latch. I will break out a multimeter (even if I have no idea what I am looking for)
Woodman71 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 10:17 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,307 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71

Seems we have had a resurgence of bringing back old threads from the dead here lately.......I guess that means that new people are actually using the "search function" ???
Woodman71 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:12 PM
FasterPussycat
3rd Gear

Default 996 Top Not working

Originally Posted by LVDell
My money is on a microswitch.
You mentioned micro switch ...I bought a shop manual and I can't find a microswitch illustration

Where is it?
thx
Old 03-14-2024, 10:06 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterPussycat
You mentioned micro switch ...I bought a shop manual and I can't find a microswitch illustration

Where is it?
thx
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-location.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 convertible top not working light just blinks