Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 convertible top not working light just blinks

Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, in my case it was the fluid level. It was completely empty! Unfortunately it was due to a massive leak at the right hydraulic cylinder, so I still need to replace something. I'll read up on that!

To fill it up was super easy, took maybe half an hour all-and-all. The hardest part was to remove the cover under the top storage department.

I believe it is an easy fix compared to an electric failure, which can be a nightmare to find!

Thanks for all the help,

Johan
Old 09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Johan, Thank you for the update on your fix.

Wonder if the OP has resolution yet?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:45 PM
AronG
Intermediate

If you still need a cylinder, there are several selections (as of 10/4/11) for pumps and/or cylinders on ebay for purchase. Usually just one cylinder or the pump will go bad. Most junk yards want to sell you the whole set up (2 cylinders & pump)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

This is interesting and this has fortunately only happened to me once. Brought the top up, latched and locked, everything normal but then the top light began flashing. Opened up again and then closed, blink (did it a few more times). Gave up and went inside and was a little depressed (my baby was sick).... Next time I took the car out, brought down the top, drove, brought up the top, everything was normal. Never happened again! Hope it dosn't happen anymore.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I bought the entire set on german ebay this weekend. I will have a spare pump to sell soon if someone is interested.

Another question; it seems like my rear wing sometimes is acting up, and is not fully in the down position when turning the ignition off. Could this affect the top operation? I do hope it is only a lube job required.....

Johan
Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Graps
Track Day

Not to start another thread, but I can open and close the top with my key from outside the car, but when I use the button it wont work.

This ever happen, cause?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM
msalamza996
6th Gear

Default top and spoiler problem

jsoderbe:

I have a 2001 996 cab and my top has stopped working too. We seem to have the same problem because my rear spoiler does not raise anymore either. The light on the dash blinks when I try to open the top and i can hear the motor trying to open it. Summer is here and I need to fix this problem. Any ideas anyone?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The only suggestions I can come up with to anyone have ragtopproblems is hand brake fully on and engine lid fully closed. Then you might try from outside the car via holding the key in the door to the left and right for 3 seconds both with the engine running and also turned off. That may clear a glitch in the works. Mine acts up occassionally but seems to clear itself after I try differant things. Like when I decided this year to hang the hard top up for the summer, The top came up and went down ok.. Then out on the road it wouldn't go up as I parked up with engine running and handbrake full on so i kind of gave up trying.. Drove off a bit chilly and tried again about 5 miles later and dammit it worked just fine and has since. I can't understand it. Make sure that you have a fully charged battery as that can effect it as well. I would boost the battery up overnight and try things again if I were you.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi,

First thing I would do (last 3 posts) would be to check hydraulic oil level. I would guess that to be the problem in 90 % of the top issues. It is really easy to check, you just open the rear clam shell and front lock with the key in the door and manually lift the top to the service position. There is a very good writeup att Renntech.

When you are sure about the oil level you could start to look at other problems.

Johan
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Parry
2nd Gear

I had the same problem on my 2000 C4 and it was the E brake switch. But now my problem is recurrent. How do you get the roof up manually??
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarzancoe
And remember, you can always put it up (and to serviving position) manually.
How ? Mine is stuck in the down position and I need to bring it in for other work but it is snowing! Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

I think you can lift it by hand, so you can "assist" the hydraulics to get it moving. Ask someone to push the button at the same time you stand in the back seat and lift it. Dont pull with everything you have got, just lift it from start and assist it while closing.

If you have to add oil it is unfortunately time to rebuild the cylinders...

Regards,

Johan
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

There is a multistep procedure in the manual to open it "by hand". (pages 143 to 149 in mine)
Remove the panel behind the rear seats.
Crank the cover back
0pen the two side flaps using a tool by each of the hardtop receivers etc...
The following users liked this post:
996-CAB (03-05-2024)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM
apterr
Racer

Originally Posted by tarzancoe
And remember, you can always put it up (and to serviving position) manually.
Tarzancoe, Can you explain how to get the hood up manually? Thanks Andy
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM
apterr
Racer

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 convertible top not working light just blinks