Sponsored by:

996 Window Squeaking Traveling Up and Down

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 AM
fsarris
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Window Squeaking Traveling Up and Down

I have a 99 996 and my window squeaks while rolling up and down. The window functions properly but makes a squeaking noise that sounds like the window scrapping against rubber. Any suggestions on the squeak? I thought it was the felt on the inner and outer window sweeps but they appear to be in good condition. Does anybody know if there are wheels inside that need replacing or do I need to replace window regulator. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Mine does exactly the same thing... from time to time.
Here are the conditions under which it squeals:
1: Very hot outside
2: Has been sitting in the sun
3: I haven't washed it for a long time (and perhaps sand grains get between the glass and the rubber squeegees).
4: Sometimes much worse than others.

If I wash the car with soap and water and then really hose it down to rinse, the squealing generally goes away for a while.
Also, I don't get the sound in the winter.

But it really sounds like some sort of "wheel" that needs to be greased.

All the rest of the window functions are normal (window goes up and down the appropriate amount when the door is opened and closed). So I do not believe it has anything to do with the motors or the tension of the wires. But it sounds very much like a rotating wheel on an axle of some sort.

Could be the heat is thinning whatever "lube" during certain "exposures."
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 AM
fsarris
7th Gear

Thank you for the reply! Mine does it all the time. I tried waxing the inside and outside of the window and it didn't help. I also tried dry lube on the rubber/felt sweep and that didn't help.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

It's the guides inside the doors. You have to remove the interior door trim and air bag to get to them.

BD
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a very good dyi posted on this project. I have replaced window regulators on both sides of my in the past 2 years.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 AM
fsarris
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
It's the guides inside the doors. You have to remove the interior door trim and air bag to get to them.

BD
When you say guides do you mean the regulator? Do you have a part number for the guides? I just want to make sure that I have the parts needed before I remove the door panel. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Sorry just memory from about 6 years ago when 996TT's were coming in with grease stripes on the side windows. You'd clean it and it would come right back.

Someone took off the door trim and discovered some felt-surfaced window guides in the door panel that picked up grease during assembly. These guides are in contact with the glass to align/guide it when it drops down into the door. I suspect your's have dried out or lost the felt altogether as my "stripe" is just about gone after 6 years.

I can tell you that based on the grease marks, one of the guides is about 6" from the front of the side window glass.

They maybe a integral part of the regulator. Try a search on the 996tt forum.

BD
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM
100plus
Pro

Anyone knows where i could get the Moisture absorbing foam thingy behind the door panels? I tore mine and i wanna replace them.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
fsarris
7th Gear

I removed the door panel and determined that the window regulator is bad and needs replacing. I have ordered a new regulator and will be replacing it soon. Thanks for all the replies!!!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM
tipstall
Advanced

Anyone have a link for a step-by-step for the window regulator?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:04 PM
bbossier
AutoX

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Mine does exactly the same thing... from time to time. Here are the conditions under which it squeals: 1: Very hot outside 2: Has been sitting in the sun 3: I haven't washed it for a long time (and perhaps sand grains get between the glass and the rubber squeegees). 4: Sometimes much worse than others. If I wash the car with soap and water and then really hose it down to rinse, the squealing generally goes away for a while. Also, I don't get the sound in the winter. But it really sounds like some sort of "wheel" that needs to be greased. All the rest of the window functions are normal (window goes up and down the appropriate amount when the door is opened and closed). So I do not believe it has anything to do with the motors or the tension of the wires. But it sounds very much like a rotating wheel on an axle of some sort. Could be the heat is thinning whatever "lube" during certain "exposures."
I have this same exact problem. Did you ever figure out a fix?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:40 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Mine does this sometimes (I think it's heat related) but it's clearly the weatherstripping on the outside of the window - the squeaking occurs as it grabs the glass and folds down toward the bottom of the door...I'm thinking some sort of "dry-lube" on the weatherstrip may work to stop this...
Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM
zachsdad1
Instructor

Originally Posted by tipstall
Anyone have a link for a step-by-step for the window regulator?
I have to replace the window regulator as the window doesnt retract when the door handle is pulled. These are the resources I found so far. I haven't tackled the project yet.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

Hope it helps.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zachsdad1
I have to replace the window regulator as the window doesnt retract when the door handle is pulled. These are the resources I found so far.
Those are the same instructions I used http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/. Before putting your door panel back on, make sure the window seats at the bottom of the track. The regulator may have the metal stop on the bottom of the front track that prevents the window from going all the way down (this is for Boxsters). Just remove the stop and you will be okay.

Quick Reply: 996 Window Squeaking Traveling Up and Down