Sponsored by:

Rear seat room Coupe vs. Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear seat room Coupe vs. Cab?

I'm going to be in the market for a good used 996. Have narrowed it down to the Carrera 2 in either Cab or Coupe configuration. Have 2 small kids that would need to ride in the back seat from time to time. Does one have better seating room than the other? Also is there any difference between year models from 99-02 for rear space?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three small kids, 10, 8 and 5. And only SMALL kids fit well in the back. The cab is easy to get in and out of with the top down. And my kids love the cab!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Speaking of rear seat room, I have been trying to figure out how to get my 80-lb Golden Retriever in the back seat of my 996. There really isn't enough room with the seats folded down. In my 87 cab, there was enough room for her to fit. My better half doesn't like being displaced by the dog from riding around in the 996...

Last edited by TomF; 08-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kids LOVE cab!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Speaking of rear seat room, I have been trying to figure out how to get my 80-lb Golden Retriever in the back seat of my 996. There really isn't enough room with the seats folded down. In my 87 cab, there was enough room for her to fit. My better half doesn't like being displaced by the dog from riding around in the 996...
I told myself I would never let my dog in the car as that's what we have the SUV for. But my wife had a client meeting and I had to get him to the groomer.

My dog is only 70 pounds but I actually removed the bottom portion of the seat and let him sit on the carpeted section. Unfortunately he did just what I thought he was going to do and that was to scratch the storage compartment lid with his claws...

As for the original poster - the seats should be the same dimensions but the cab has a slight tilt forward on the seatback compared to the coupe. This is due to the rollover protection bars taking up space.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
I told myself I would never let my dog in the car as that's what we have the SUV for. But my wife had a client meeting and I had to get him to the groomer.

My dog is only 70 pounds but I actually removed the bottom portion of the seat and let him sit on the carpeted section. Unfortunately he did just what I thought he was going to do and that was to scratch the storage compartment lid with his claws...
I vowed to never let on of my pups in my various Porsches over the years and when finally decided to go from garage queen cars to DDs, I decided to indulge the pups occasionally. Since we are down to one, three-legged fur-child and she is getting up in the years, I have spoiled her a bit. I actually have really enjoyed how much she loves the Porsche. With only three legs, it is hard for her to sit upright on a slippery cushion, so I put a box on the floor, a towel on the leather and a small dog bed on top of it all. The pic was taken at Barrier Porsche when I picked up some parts. I guess people don't see dogs in Porsches often- there were several people standing near my car and staring at the dog. I can hear them now, "A dog in a 911? Blasphemy!"
Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 10 year olds refused to get back into the rear seats of a cabrio when I was looking at the dealer. The back rest is angled too much to make sitting comfortable. So far, they're not too unhappy in the back of my non-cabrio. However, the front passenger seat is up quite a ways, as is mine. My 15 year old (5'9") told me he'd be happy to ride in the rear when I was test-driving, but take that with a grain of salt. He'd have said anything to get me to buy
Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

My kids both love riding in the 944 coupe. I've taken them both riding one at a time in the Boxster. They both love riding with the top down. I think they would both endure a cramped ride in a Cab and still be very happy. Got one lined up to look at. Hope to have it in time for warm weather.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! I have a 90 lb Golden and he doesn't fit.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
I'm going to be in the market for a good used 996. Have narrowed it down to the Carrera 2 in either Cab or Coupe configuration. Have 2 small kids that would need to ride in the back seat from time to time. Does one have better seating room than the other? Also is there any difference between year models from 99-02 for rear space?
The seats on the cabs are canted forward more than the coupes in order to provide room for the deployable pop-up safety thingys.

However, the cabs have infinitely more head room than the coupes. Getting someone in the back seats of a cab is a much simpler exercise than getting into the rear seats of a coupe. (You can always put the top up after they are in).
Old 04-30-2011, 02:40 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I vowed to never let on of my pups in my various Porsches over the years and when finally decided to go from garage queen cars to DDs, I decided to indulge the pups occasionally. Since we are down to one, three-legged fur-child and she is getting up in the years, I have spoiled her a bit. I actually have really enjoyed how much she loves the Porsche. With only three legs, it is hard for her to sit upright on a slippery cushion, so I put a box on the floor, a towel on the leather and a small dog bed on top of it all. The pic was taken at Barrier Porsche when I picked up some parts. I guess people don't see dogs in Porsches often- there were several people standing near my car and staring at the dog. I can hear them now, "A dog in a 911? Blasphemy!"
Funny. Dino, my Westie, rides in the back of my 996 everyday to work. He fits perfectly on one of the seats as he curls around and rests his head on the center hump.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

90lb golden and three kids and I love my cab.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Looks like I will be getting another Rennlisters 01 Carrera 2 Cab! Nice, low miles, unusual color (dark metalic green). Can't wait to actually see it in person and drive it!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
Looks like I will be getting another Rennlisters 01 Carrera 2 Cab! Nice, low miles, unusual color (dark metalic green). Can't wait to actually see it in person and drive it!
Congrats! Now it looks like you need to get a 80-90 lb Golden to go with it... or a couple of kids or whatever it was we finally decided in this thread!

Post pics when you get the chance.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have kids, 6-8. Love the Cab. Easy to get in an out of. They will probably fit for 2-3 more years - and soon after won't want to be seen with me anyway. So problem solved by Mother Nature.

Quick Reply: Rear seat room Coupe vs. Cab?