996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil in Coolant, possible new Engine

Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM
bfutch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Coolant, possible new Engine

In January of this year I had my coolant expansion tank replace, and the dealer only added 1 gallon of coolant. Since then my low coolant light kept coming on and I kept putting coolant into the tank, believing that there was air in the system which needed to be purged. I never saw coolant leaking nor was any coolant showing on my dipstick. The car ran great and never smoked.

Last Sunday was my darkest hour in owning a Porsche. I changed my oil (8k miles Mobile 1 0-40). However, when I dropped the oil it came out like dark brown chocolate pudding!
My car is at the dealer where it has been pressure tested, and confirmed the coolant is leaking into the crank case. The dealer can't confirm exactly where the coolant is leaking into the engine. However the pan was pulled, a lot of sludge, no metal, and nothing that indicates overheating. This is a major problem and it appears that I'm looking at the possibility of a new engine. I have an extended warranty from CNA and my 2002 996 only has 40k miles on it. My car has never been tracked or even auto crossed. I'm on edge as the appraiser should arrive next Monday. If this works out the dealer will replace the engine with a Porsche crate engine. One last thing, I never had any indication there was a problem other than the oil appeared more dirty on the stich than any other time prior to an oil change. The dealer stated they was nothing I could have done to prevent this event, but I am sick to my stomach! Anyone have any knowlege about these engines or anything I should be aware as I move forward?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bfutch
In January of this year I had my coolant expansion tank replace, and the dealer only added 1 gallon of coolant. Since then my low coolant light kept coming on and I kept putting coolant into the tank, believing that there was air in the system which needed to be purged. I never saw coolant leaking nor was any coolant showing on my dipstick. The car ran great and never smoked.

Last Sunday was my darkest hour in owning a Porsche. I changed my oil (8k miles Mobile 1 0-40). However, when I dropped the oil it came out like dark brown chocolate pudding!
My car is at the dealer where it has been pressure tested, and confirmed the coolant is leaking into the crank case. The dealer can't confirm exactly where the coolant is leaking into the engine. However the pan was pulled, a lot of sludge, no metal, and nothing that indicates overheating. This is a major problem and it appears that I'm looking at the possibility of a new engine. I have an extended warranty from CNA and my 2002 996 only has 40k miles on it. My car has never been tracked or even auto crossed. I'm on edge as the appraiser should arrive next Monday. If this works out the dealer will replace the engine with a Porsche crate engine. One last thing, I never had any indication there was a problem other than the oil appeared more dirty on the stich than any other time prior to an oil change. The dealer stated they was nothing I could have done to prevent this event, but I am sick to my stomach! Anyone have any knowlege about these engines or anything I should be aware as I move forward?
Rare failure but it happens.

You have a warranty on the car. My talking things over with some Porsche techs is they play a big role in getting a 3rd party warranty company to pay a claim.

The techs tell me the adjusters come in asking alot of questions to determine if there's any reason to deny the claim. Improper servicing, abuse, mod's, etc.

You car has low miles, has not been tracked, or auto-crossed, has no mods and I assume serviced according to Porsche's guidelines.

I would think the tech would be on your side and argue that this is a geninue failure that should be covered by the warranty. You did nothing wrong other than have a bit of bad luck in that this happened.

You might speak with the tech and see if there's anything he might need from you that can help him in his dealings with the adjuster.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the news, as Macster said a rare occurance but that doesn't make you personally feel any better. Keep us posted on the adjusters opinion when you have it.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't understand why you're on edge. Honestly, you're in the best position you could be with a warranty in place. Good luck with everything. I hope the installation of the new engine goes smoothly.

S.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh bummer. hang in there i am sure it will be made right.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Any sign of oil in the coolant? Looking for signs of cross contamination. If the warranty will cover a replacement engine that is the best alternative. Although with the price of an engine from Porsche these days it would be nice if they would pay for a rebuild by flat6.

If they won't pay don't give up or buy an engine yourself until you know the exact cause. They can be fixed.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 AM
bfutch
Advanced

no oil in coolant.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

By the way your title says Oil in Coolant, you have just the opposite, coolant in oil!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:58 PM
bfutch
Advanced

Default Coolant in Oil

My mistake I meant to say coolant in the oil!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:08 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about your situation. Good news - You got coverage so your out of pocket is ZERO (We hope)

Keep us posted on the results.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Hang in there until the warranty company responds, If they will replace the engine your are good to go. If they want to source a used engine, which some will try to do, that is another thing. If you are not successful with them then lets talk. There are often fixes for engines with intermix depending on the source/cause.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil in Coolant, possible new Engine