Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CEL came on this morning... and got the following codes (UPDATE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL came on this morning... and got the following codes (UPDATE)

Hey Guys,

2003 C4S with 64,000 kilometres.

Driving this morning to work and the CEL came on and said "Drive to the nearest workshop" Drove to AutoImport in Ottawa and got the codes read and this is the following:

P1126 02 Bank 2
P1133 02 Bank 2 Range

They diagnosed the problem as possibly being one of the following:

Leaking fuel injectors
Faulty MAF reading
Low fuel pressure or air intake leak

Now, I plan on going home right after work and taking the air box out and giving it a good cleaning and changing the filter. Also, I plan on removing the MAF and cleaning it with just air. I usually cleaned my MAF with electrical cleaner on my old car, but they suggested not to as it could damage it. what do you guys think of cleaning the MAF with or without chemical cleaner?

They reset the light and when I started the car I noticed the RPM's fluctuating a bit, then it stopped. This makes sense due to it being reset.

CEL didn't come on yet, but I will do the cleaning for now....

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Alin
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How would you clean the MAF without an electrical sray?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barn996
How would you clean the MAF without an electrical sray?
With a can of air spray for cleaning key boards....

I always used the CRC cleaner on my past cars, now I am going this route unless anyone could prove that electrical cleaner is better.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

electronics cleaner is the way to go....
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
Hey Guys,

2003 C4S with 64,000 kilometres.

Driving this morning to work and the CEL came on and said "Drive to the nearest workshop" Drove to AutoImport in Ottawa and got the codes read and this is the following:

P1126 02 Bank 2
P1133 02 Bank 2 Range

They diagnosed the problem as possibly being one of the following:

Leaking fuel injectors
Faulty MAF reading
Low fuel pressure or air intake leak

Now, I plan on going home right after work and taking the air box out and giving it a good cleaning and changing the filter. Also, I plan on removing the MAF and cleaning it with just air. I usually cleaned my MAF with electrical cleaner on my old car, but they suggested not to as it could damage it. what do you guys think of cleaning the MAF with or without chemical cleaner?

They reset the light and when I started the car I noticed the RPM's fluctuating a bit, then it stopped. This makes sense due to it being reset.

CEL didn't come on yet, but I will do the cleaning for now....

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Alin
Just air won't clean the MAF, if it needs to be cleaned. Unless the air filter is faulty (or you are running some aftermarket oil filter setup) the MAF shouldn't be dirty.

Spray the MAF with the proper aerosol cleaner over some white paper towels and then you see just how much (or little) dirt actually comes off the MAF. (I've run a MAF for around 100K or more miles and haven't had to clean it yet. With a properly working stock air box and filter they just don't get dirty.)

The engine controller is at its enrichment limit and one must consider an air leak and when one considers an air leak he has to think 'AOS'.

While you have the engine exposed to get at the MAF remove the throttle body and see if its dirty. In the case of a bad AOS, often the TB gets oily and this and alot of oil behind the TB at the connector where the hose from the AOS connects to the intake is a good sign the AOS is going bad. Carefully and don't drop anything like a ring or a watch or something in the intake reach into the intake once you have the TB out of the way and feel the intake walls for any signs of oil wetness.

Another possible cause of these error codes is the fuel pressure can be low and this could be due to a failing fuel pressure regulator or a vacuum line problem that causes the fuel pressure regulator to vary the fuel pressure intermittently. I'd 'run' -- use your hands and eyes to check -- the various vacuum lines associated with the fuel pressure regulator to see if any are dry and showing signs of aging. If you find any signs any are dry and showing signs of aging just replace all of the lines with proper sized vacuum line. Be sure to adhere to the proper routing so the lines don't flop about or you'll be in there again to replace them again, and again, and again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the info Macster.

I got all my tools ready. I bought a set of the security torx bits, and I made up a contraption with a propane tank and extended nozzel to check for intake leaks...

I have my new air filter at home with my CRC cleaner which I guess i'll use lol.

I will complete it when I get home today and keep you guys posted. CEL didn't come back on yet... Hope it's minor.

Last edited by Topaz330ci; 05-30-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

So I changed the intake filter and cabin filter, cleaned the MAF with CRC cleaner, and cleaned the throttle body as far as I could reach. I also sparayed a bit of TB cleaner as well. After the cleaning, I started it up, and everything is good. The CEL has not come on since I had it reset and hopefully it won't come back. After all that, I took it out on the highway for a good German Tune-Up

Here is a pic from the carbon I cleaned from the neck of the TB:

Last edited by Topaz330ci; 05-30-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I have to wonder what the areas of the TB you couldn't/didn't reach look like?

The TB should have very little 'dirt' on it and no carbon. That part of the intake system should *not* be be exposed to any carbon.

What it can be exposed to is oil, in the form of vapor. If the AOS is not doing its job, or if the engine is overfilled with oil and overwhelming the AOS with oil vapor, or if the oil is the wrong viscosity, or if the oil is past its change by date, then the AOS possibly can't remove all the oil vapor and what it can't remove in the crankcase fumes/air that it routes to the intake this oil vapor can end up on the TB's surfaces and on the walls of the intake manifold.

Now, on my Boxster the AOS connects to the intake manifold directly behind (downstream) of the TB. If in the 996 if the AOS connects to the intake manifold at a similar location and close to the TB, then the TB can become fouled (somewhat) with oil deposited by the oil vapor from the AOS and this oil will collect any dust that passes through the filter (which is very little if the filter is stock).

So I'm not quite sure you went far enough to ensure the TB is not showing signs of an AOS problem.

But drive the car and see what turns up. Be sure though that if the engine starts to exhibit any erratic/lumpy idle, rough idle, anything really out of the ordinary you shut off the engine as soon as its safe and consider having the car looked at.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
I have to wonder what the areas of the TB you couldn't/didn't reach look like?

The TB should have very little 'dirt' on it and no carbon. That part of the intake system should *not* be be exposed to any carbon.

What it can be exposed to is oil, in the form of vapor. If the AOS is not doing its job, or if the engine is overfilled with oil and overwhelming the AOS with oil vapor, or if the oil is the wrong viscosity, or if the oil is past its change by date, then the AOS possibly can't remove all the oil vapor and what it can't remove in the crankcase fumes/air that it routes to the intake this oil vapor can end up on the TB's surfaces and on the walls of the intake manifold.

Now, on my Boxster the AOS connects to the intake manifold directly behind (downstream) of the TB. If in the 996 if the AOS connects to the intake manifold at a similar location and close to the TB, then the TB can become fouled (somewhat) with oil deposited by the oil vapor from the AOS and this oil will collect any dust that passes through the filter (which is very little if the filter is stock).

So I'm not quite sure you went far enough to ensure the TB is not showing signs of an AOS problem.

But drive the car and see what turns up. Be sure though that if the engine starts to exhibit any erratic/lumpy idle, rough idle, anything really out of the ordinary you shut off the engine as soon as its safe and consider having the car looked at.

Sincerely,

Macster.

The dirt was just around the butterfly flap and a little past. I stuck in a coat hanger wrapped with cloth at the end to see the unknown and it came back fine. The bulk of the build-up was just where I mentioned. Everything else was spotless literally. My engine is a remanned one which was installed in Oct, 2005
If the CEL ever comes on again, I will fix what needs to be fixed, if anything. My next little project will be the spark plugs. I'll look at the tubes and coils as well incase they need replacement but I highly doubt it.

I run 0W40 Mobil 1 oil, and I'll continue to run that unless I get a good answer or alternate oil choice from somone or some oil thread. For now, reading oil threads give me headaches lol...

I love my car and I'll never cheap out on it. If the german lady is sick, she'll get the best medicine ever!

Quick Reply: CEL came on this morning... and got the following codes (UPDATE)