My long, sad 996 story - must read :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches996
Maybe for you folks the definition of a sport car is not the same as mine.....

For me a sport car need a big engine with certainly more then 160hp or so...

Maybe i'm wrong and ready to admit it but i tried the Miata car maybe 2 or 3 times and for me this is definitly not what i expect of a sport car.
The suspension, direction and engine are not what i can call a sport car
Anyway folks if for you a Miata is a sport car well...good and sorry if i hurt anybody
Thanks

Robert
There is a better sports car version of a Miata, it's called a Boxster.
Sorry man, 911 is more GT than sports car these days.

While I am a "Power junkie" for sure the Miata is a great car to flog around!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For me a sport car need a big engine with certainly more then 160hp or so...
What about all of the small British sports cars? Surely an MG T series and a Sunbeam Alpine would be considered sports cars (and iconic ones at that), as would the original Volkswagen GTI, the Toyota MR2, and a whole slew of little European go-karts that (sadly) never arrived on American shores ...

Maybe i'm wrong and ready to admit it but i tried the Miata car maybe 2 or 3 times and for me this is definitly not what i expect of a sport car.
Fair enough. I looked very seriously at a Shelby GT500, but it just didn't work for me; the 996 was a better fit. The GT500 is a good sports car, but it wasn't for this buyer.

The suspension, direction and engine are not what i can call a sport car
What do you mean by "direction"? Most of the Miatas I have seen drive in the same direction as a Porsche.

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maniac28
I want a Porsche! I am young but not getting younger, life is short, then you die. I might as well die broke. life's too short for boring cars!

I am in the market for a 911 and I will have some more questions for you guys. thanks for the help.

Manic could you either post or PM me the name of the dealership. I'd like to pursue buying the car before they send it to auction.....
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to do some really entertaining rallyes in a 97 miata. What fun that car was! It was like a gokart. I thought it was a sportscar. I consider my 996 a sports car too .

I have driven a boxster (btw iPhone autocorrect tries to change the spelling of boxster into bizarre) and it's a really fun sportscar. It did make the Miata feel paler in comparison ... But I consider both sports cars
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Glad to hear of a reasonable outcome.

The IMS issue has been overstated considerably by the few who have been victims of it. Supposedly the MY06 and later 997.1 cars are showing considerably less propensity for such problems. One area that appears to be common on such problems is not driving the car enough.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 AM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I could do it over again I'd get a 6gt3, but I suppose I can put a 6gt3 motor in my car when it decides to blow
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts

Driving the car enough or not enough has no influence on IMS issue.....bad design does.......5 year old cars can have the issue with 9,000 miles or 100,000 miles......it is hit or miss as there are lots of moving parts involved and other variables, that is the problem in itself.....no real warning......

It is very smart of Porsche, PR wise, to bury the issue and move on.... not issue any informal or formal estimates on percentage of cars affected, etc........

I have had some high volume dealers tell me they see very few IMS issues and others that estimate as much as 1 in 5 cars.....

Luckily...... there is a remedy, LNE bearing upgrade, and the new 997.2 engine design....which may have other issues..........which we can all write about and share with each other in the future......thank goodness that the OP got out of his potential deal more educated about 911s and got his car back....
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Manic could you either post or PM me the name of the dealership. I'd like to pursue buying the car before they send it to auction.....
+1

Any word JR? I am interested as well if you pass on it.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
RFFG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see things worked out w/ the dealership.

Quick Reply: My long, sad 996 story - must read :)