Received 696 Likes on 508 Posts
Wink Good thread...final comment..

+1
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM
inviktus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maniac28
I will take your advice, do my research, be patient, and maybe end up with a car if it's the right deal. If I do, I will be here asking about preventative measures to prevent what happened to my 996 (RIP).
Awfully glad to hear that all's well that ends well.

But I would echo the guys that say don't let this experience scare you off of a 996. Find a good one with good history, then PPI it, then buy it and put the LNE IMS bearing on it, then go drive the everlovin' whee out of it. Think about this: whenever you do get to buying a 911, I can just about promise you that you're going to say, "Jeezus, why didn't I do this sooner?!?" So skip the middleman and do it sooner.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by inviktus
Awfully glad to hear that all's well that ends well.

But I would echo the guys that say don't let this experience scare you off of a 996. Find a good one with good history, then PPI it, then buy it and put the LNE IMS bearing on it, then go drive the everlovin' whee out of it. Think about this: whenever you do get to buying a 911, I can just about promise you that you're going to say, "Jeezus, why didn't I do this sooner?!?" So skip the middleman and do it sooner.
What he said.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Does that conclude this infomercial?

Is it safe to turn off the TV and assume that Maniac28 will now ride off into the sunset never to be heard from again as others who have come here before him?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
porsches996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks...,

Have you ever tried a Miata...for me this is absolutely not a sport car at all and can't be compared to a 996 Porsche.

As an owner of Porsche car for more then 22 years now if Maniac28 prefered a Miata insted of a 996 why should i take time to answered this tread....
Let him go that's it

Bye Bye

Robert
Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsches996
Have you ever tried a Miata...for me this is absolutely not a sport car at all and can't be compared to a 996 Porsche.
Robert, there's an old saying that goes something like this: "Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one and they all stink."

I've driven Miatas fairly extensively, and I think they're a fantastic car for what Mazda intended them to be. They're light, spry and a ton of fun - and for the money, they're tough to beat. In fact, I'd argue that Mazda did with the Miata (and similarly, Toyota with the MR2) what the British strove to do for years: produce a lightweight, economical sports car that's a gas to drive.

You're right - there's no point in comparing a Miata to a 996, and more than I'd want to compare a 996 to a V12 Ferrari, for instance. They're at entirely different price points, they target a different demographic and there are different expectations from each.

But arguing about whether it's a "sports car" is a bit like arguing about whether the Corvette is a "true" sports car, or whether the Nissan 240 is a "true" sports car, or whatever else. It's pointless since the "sports car" term is entirely subjective. If you want to get all religious and claim that the 996 (or some other car) is the "embodiment of what a 'true' sports car is", go right ahead ... just be ready for the collective eye-roll.

Miata owners, by and large, love their cars. As do Corvette owners, as do 996 owners, as I suspect V12 Ferrari owners do as well. They're free to call them "sports cars" just as the rest of us are with our 996, and I'm fairly certain there's enough road for all of us to enjoy with them.

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I appreciate Maniac28's sharing with us. I think I might have been too embarrassed had I made his choice.. So, I respect his willingness to tell us about it. Is there anything rational and logical about buying one of these cars? Don't we all have our internal dialog that drives our decisions. Geez, his decision was emotionally motivated like everything about these cars. That's part of the fun isn't it? I thought I did all my homework prior to purchase. I think I did good, but as I continue to learn, I continue to question. I don't feel totally secure, but that's the adventure in my mind.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it's awesome that he shared his story with us and excellent that so many people here tried to help and/or sympathize with his plight. IMHO Miata bashing is not necessary nor helpful.

I suspect that the OP will return. He's been bit.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehelms
Robert, there's an old saying that goes something like this: "Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one and they all stink."

I've driven Miatas fairly extensively, and I think they're a fantastic car for what Mazda intended them to be. They're light, spry and a ton of fun - and for the money, they're tough to beat. In fact, I'd argue that Mazda did with the Miata (and similarly, Toyota with the MR2) what the British strove to do for years: produce a lightweight, economical sports car that's a gas to drive.

You're right - there's no point in comparing a Miata to a 996, and more than I'd want to compare a 996 to a V12 Ferrari, for instance. They're at entirely different price points, they target a different demographic and there are different expectations from each.

But arguing about whether it's a "sports car" is a bit like arguing about whether the Corvette is a "true" sports car, or whether the Nissan 240 is a "true" sports car, or whatever else. It's pointless since the "sports car" term is entirely subjective. If you want to get all religious and claim that the 996 (or some other car) is the "embodiment of what a 'true' sports car is", go right ahead ... just be ready for the collective eye-roll.

Miata owners, by and large, love their cars. As do Corvette owners, as do 996 owners, as I suspect V12 Ferrari owners do as well. They're free to call them "sports cars" just as the rest of us are with our 996, and I'm fairly certain there's enough road for all of us to enjoy with them.

Cheers,
-- Mike

Good post, Mike.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Porsche and a Miata. I compare them all the time.

A Porsche is a Miata on steroids !
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Maniac28
AutoX

I'm not afraid to admit when I screw up. I learned humility a long time ago. You guys have taught me a lot, and I've learned a lot about these cars on this website. This is a great resource.

I never tried to compare the 996 to the Miata, I don't know how that has anything to do with all this. They are different cars as we all know. And to be honest I don't call the Miata a sports car, either. is it fun? yes. is it passionate and emotional like a porsche? not really. IMHO.

My friends tell me to not buy a Porsche, that it will break and I am not rich enough for the repairs, blah blah blah. Maybe they are right, but they haven't driven the 911! they can drive their slushboxes and poseur sports cars... I want a Porsche! I am young but not getting younger, life is short, then you die. I might as well die broke. life's too short for boring cars!

I am in the market for a 911 and I will have some more questions for you guys. thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I never tried to compare the 996 to the Miata, I don't know how that has anything to do with all this. They are different cars as we all know. And to be honest I don't call the Miata a sports car, either. is it fun? yes. is it passionate and emotional like a porsche? not really. IMHO.
The Miata is closer to the true definition of a sports car than most cars out there. It's certainly more of a traditional sports car than a 996.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
The Miata is closer to the true definition of a sports car than most cars out there. It's certainly more of a traditional sports car than a 996.
+1
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was responding to the comment made by Robert (porsches996); that's what started the Miata vs 996 bit. I thought Robert's comment (about the Miata not being a true sports car) was absurd and slapped him with a trout for it sufficiently.

The Miata is a fine car and there's nothing to be ashamed of with it. In fact, I'm fairly certain that Miata owners forums don't have conversations about failing IMS bearings and grenading engines. Not that this makes the 996 less of a sports car, but still.

You'll find your Porsche yet. Took me two years to find the right one, and it was well worth the wait. I still sport a ****-eating grin every time I look at it.

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Maybe for you folks the definition of a sport car is not the same as mine.....

For me a sport car need a big engine with certainly more then 160hp or so...

Maybe i'm wrong and ready to admit it but i tried the Miata car maybe 2 or 3 times and for me this is definitly not what i expect of a sport car.
The suspension, direction and engine are not what i can call a sport car
Anyway folks if for you a Miata is a sport car well...good and sorry if i hurt anybody
Thanks

Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My long, sad 996 story - must read :)